Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving site to Blacknight

Options
  • 05-04-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Ive been asked to take over a site that is currently being hosted elsewhere. Its a simple site - www.athenrymusicschool.com and I was wondering what kind of package I should be looking at with Blacknight?
    Id be looking at using Type3 for the site re design.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Any of our Linux plans should be fine :)

Check out our blog for the latest offer for Easter Weekend only: http://blog.blacknight.com/save-money-buy-more-easter-eggs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Blacknight wrote: »
    Any of our Linux plans should be fine :)

Check out our blog for the latest offer for Easter Weekend only: http://blog.blacknight.com/save-money-buy-more-easter-eggs.html

Hey Blacknight, I know nothing about Linux - Im a Windows Sys Admin. Would I be lost trying to work with this?

If you're dealing with a website all you're doing is uploading files to a web accessible directory - so it won't make much difference which operating system you're using.

However if the site is using Typo3 it's probably hosted on Linux at the moment.

PHP will work pretty well on Windows these days, but it's probably easier to get it running on Linux
    You can check the requirements here: http://wiki.typo3.org/System_requirements

If you're dealing with a website all you're doing is uploading files to a web accessible directory - so it won't make much difference which operating system you're using.

However if the site is using Typo3 it's probably hosted on Linux at the moment.

PHP will work pretty well on Windows these days, but it's probably easier to get it running on Linux
    You can check the requirements here: http://wiki.typo3.org/System_requirements

Cheers blacknight. Basically I'm looking to take over www.athenrymusicschool.com and I'm new to web design. Going to revamp it with typo3 and host it somewhere new. So if you can recommend a package for me then I'd be happy to switch over

You want to move it to Typo3?

Ah ..

Not sure if we'd recommend that, as we're currently trying to move away from it :)

• Advertisement

You want to move it to Typo3?

Ah ..

Not sure if we'd recommend that, as we're currently trying to move away from it :)

What would you recommend for a complete newbie!

What would you recommend for a complete newbie!

Definitely NOT Typo3 :)

Wordpress / SimpleCMS - there's plenty to choose from
    What are your criteria?

What do you need?

What are you trying to do?

Definitely NOT Typo3 :)

Wordpress / SimpleCMS - there's plenty to choose from
    What are your criteria?

What do you need?

What are you trying to do?

Basically we want the site to hold information about the school, teachers, upcoming and past events, photos, etc. Maybe tie it into the Facebook page also.

Wordpress or Simple CMS

Wordpress would already have a number of "social" plugins

Wordpress or Simple CMS

Wordpress would already have a number of "social" plugins

Ill take a look at those. So what would I need to do to actually work on the site offline and then when its ready upload it and make it live? We'd leave the old site up until the new one is ready and I have the rest of the school on board.

• Advertisement

You probably want to have a local development environment ie. php, mysql + Apache (or IIS)

Advertisement