Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Friday cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That legislation is 15 years old. What are you on about? That link tells us nothing about the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

ninty9er wrote: »
    That legislation is 15 years old. What are you on about? That link tells us nothing about the thread title.

The link is why the festival is cancelled. The day before it's due to start. And it's the first the organisers have heard of it. There was no problem with the festival going ahead the last few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm confused, please correct me if I'm wrong

A group of people were going to run a festival on Good Friday in Limerick, as the event was selling tickets I am assuming that this was going to be an event that was going to pay someone (i.e. a non-charity event), even if it was to recoup any costs in holding the event. The day before the event the organisers cancelled the event that it was brought to their attention that they didn't have a license to hold the event. You are blaming a 15 year old amendment to a 77 year old law for the event being cancelled, even though the organisers could have applied for a license and paid for it out of ticket sales.

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm confused, please correct me if I'm wrong

A group of people were going to run a festival on Good Friday in Limerick, as the event was selling tickets I am assuming that this was going to be an event that was going to pay someone (i.e. a non-charity event), even if it was to recoup any costs in holding the event. The day before the event the organisers cancelled the event that it was brought to their attention that they didn't have a license to hold the event. You are blaming a 15 year old amendment to a 77 year old law for the event being cancelled, even though the organisers could have applied for a license and paid for it out of ticket sales.

The full background of the cancellation is yet to come out, it struck me as harsh considering it wasn't raised in any of the previous years.

I have never been to it nor had I planned on going to it. You're incorrect about the running of it - profits go to charity and other events they put on for charity.

But to stop someone organising something on the grounds of a 'public dancing' license, reads kind of odd to me, even a cheap shot.

Are flash mobs covered under this law? Salsa classes? If a group of us do the "Praise You" dance on Cruises Street on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

leakyboots wrote: »
    The full background of the cancellation is yet to come out, it struck me as harsh considering it wasn't raised in any of the previous years.

I have never been to it nor had I planned on going to it.

But to stop someone organising something on the grounds of a 'public dancing' license, reads kind of odd to me.

Are flash mobs covered under this law? Salsa classes? If a group of us do the "Praise You" dance on Cruises Street on a Saturday night?

You might deride it now, but without that amendment we'd all be raving in a field in Abbeyfeale without a care in the world listening to sh*te techno while simultaneously sticking lumps of pure MDMA up our nostrils.

God bless our politicians and their knee jerk reactions to moral panic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

You need a licence to dance?

This country would make you sick.

Squarewave wrote: »
    You might deride it now, but without that amendment we'd all be raving in a field in Abbeyfeale without a care in the world listening to sh*te techno while simultaneously sticking lumps of pure MDMA up our nostrils.

God bless our politicians and their knee jerk reactions to moral panic!

No idea whether it's a drug fest - even if it is, you'd be safer there than outside, say, Costellos on a night out, where certain undesirables living nearby have taken to kicking the living **** out of people who look at them sideways a few times recently.

The muppets in Henry St. would want to sort out that kind of behaviour or the various other examples we hear about regularly rather than stopping people from dancing, listening to music and having a good time (and raising money for charity) by way of a retarded law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Public dancing

1. In this Order
    "the Act" means the Public Dance Halls Act, 1935 (No. 2 of 1935);

"place" means a building (including part of a building), yard, garden, or other enclosed place, whether roofed or not roofed and whether the enclosure and the roofing (if any) are permanent or temporary;

"public dancing" means dancing which is open to the public and in which persons present are entitled to participate actively.

[Venue for application under section 2]
    2. (1) An application for a public dancing licence pursuant to section 2 of the Act may be made at any sitting of the Court for the court area in which the place sought to be licensed is situate.

(2) Where the application is in respect of a place for which a licence is in existence at the time of such application, the application shall be made at the Annual Licensing Court for the said court area.

[Service of notice]
    (3) Notice of the application shall be served upon the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána within whose district, and upon the local authority within whose functional area, is situate the place to which such application relates, at least one month before the date of hearing of the application.

[Newspaper notice]
    (4) The applicant shall also cause notice of the intended application to be published at least one month before such hearing in a newspaper circulating in the district in which is situate the place to which such application relates.

[Applicant to notify Fire Authority]
    (5) The provisions of section 24 of the Fire Services Act, 1981 shall apply to the application.

[Lodgment of notice, etc.]
    (6) A copy of the notice of the application, together with a statutory declaration as to service thereof and a copy of the newspaper, shall be lodged with the Clerk at least seven days before the date of such hearing.

[Order of Court]
    (7) Where the application is granted, the licence shall be in accordance with Form 86.1, Schedule C.

[Venue for application under section 6]
    3. (1) An application for a public dancing licence for a defined period not exceeding one month pursuant to section 6 of the Act may be made at any sitting of the Court for the court area in which the place sought to be licensed is situate.

[Service and lodgment of notice]
    (2) Notice of the application shall be served upon the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána within whose district is situate the place to which such application relates and a copy thereof, together with a statutory declaration as to service, shall be lodged with the Clerk at least fortyeight hours before the date of hearing of the application.

(3) The provisions of section 24 of the Fire Services Act, 1981 shall apply to the application.

(4) A Judge may, where special circumstances so require, hear such application and grant such public dancing licence at a sitting of the Court in any court area in that Judge's district.

[Order of Court]
    (5) Where the application is granted the licence shall be in accordance with Form 86.2, Schedule C.

[Venue for application under section 8 (2)]
    4. (1) An application in respect of any place for which a public dancing licence is in force, for a public dancing licence in respect of that place to another person pursuant to section 8 (2) of the Act, made with the consent of the licensee, may be made at any sitting of the Court for the court area in which the place to which the application relates is situate.

[Notice of application]
    (2) Such application shall be preceded by the issue and service of a notice in the appropriate form (Form 86.3, Schedule C) signed by the applicant or solicitor for the applicant.

[Service and lodgment of notice]
    (3) Such notice shall be served upon the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána within whose district is situate the place to which such application relates, and a copy thereof, together with a statutory declaration as to service, shall be lodged with the Clerk at least forty-eight hours before the date of hearing of the application.

(4) The provisions of section 24 of the Fire Services Act, 1981 shat apply to the application.

[Order of Court]
    (5) The order of the Court hearing such application shall be in accordance with Form 86.1 or Form 86.4, Schedule C, as the case may be.

[Surrender of licence]
    5. The licensee under a public dancing licence may at any time surrender such licence by notice in writing (Form 86.5 Schedule C) sent or delivered, together with such licence, to the Clerk for the court area in which the place to which such licence relates is situate.

Especially the parts in Bold.

Very odd law. Technically I need a licence to play music and have friends dance in my back garden, or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

I'm pretty sure it was introduced specifically to deal with the whole rave epidemic of the 90s, which would have surely brought an end to civil society otherwise..

Well, I think the one I quoted is from the Origional act without the ammendment, but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

This is just like Footloose.

Who's up for playing chicken with tractors to a Kenny Loggins soundtrack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RadioClash wrote: »
    This is just like Footloose.

Who's up for playing chicken with tractors to a Kenny Loggins soundtrack?

So that's what was on tv the other day. I was channel hopping when I came upon the sight of Kevin Bacon and some other guy driving a pair of slow moving tractors towards each other. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

leakyboots wrote: »
    No idea whether it's a drug fest - even if it is, you'd be safer there than outside, say, Costellos on a night out, where certain undesirables living nearby have taken to kicking the living **** out of people who look at them sideways a few times recently.

The muppets in Henry St. would want to sort out that kind of behaviour or the various other examples we hear about regularly rather than stopping people from dancing, listening to music and having a good time (and raising money for charity) by way of a retarded law

I think you'll find the guards don't stop anyone from dancing. It's a law that was written probably 100 years ago and they have to enforce it.
    As for the muggings I know a few have been nicked and one of them who I won't name got 18 months a few weeks back. Unfortunately they can't be everywhere at the same time.

Law was written up in 1935 (Or there abouts) and ammended not too many years ago.

Advertisement