Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to look after an Aechmea

Options
  • 05-04-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi, as a not very green fingered person, im looking for some help please

A relative of mine arrived today with an Aechmea plant for me as a gift, lovely as it is but I have no idea about plants, this may sound nieve but I dont even know if it an indoor or outdoor plant, it is in a nice concrete pot so i presumed it goes outside.

Can somebody guide me in the right direction please as just going by the picture, it looks lovely if it bloomed, it is only leaves at the moment

Thanks for any help you can give me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

It is an indoor plant- its different to most plants because you don' t water the soil it is potted in- you pour tepid water (around room temperature) into the centre of its leaves, you will see its kind of like a 'vase' in the centre of the plant that holds the water. Empty and refill it maybe once a month to keep the water fresh and clean.

Only water the soil its potted in when it dries out.

Spray the leaves with tepid water in a water sprayer in the summer and when you feed it- put liquid feed in the water sprayer and 'feed' through the leaves, not the compost.

They are amazing when they flower and when they do the main plant can die, but before this happens you will usually see new young plants emerging at the base of the main plant before it does die. These you can pot on when they are big enough and you will have new plants.

It may need a nice warm spot to get it to flower- aim for 75- 80 degrees fahrenheit' ish and see what happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Just to be sure Im talking about the same plant, is it like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

muckyhands wrote: »
    Just to be sure Im talking about the same plant, is it like this?

thanks for your post, yes that is exactly what it looks like, it looked a bit dry today so I gave it a spray of water but ive brought it inside on seeing your advice, thanks for that

it seems to have 4 roots or sprouts if you know what i mean, but i will feed the insides as you recommend and hopefully ill see the flowers

As i posted, im not a great gardener, i hope to enjoy gardening over the summer and this is why my relative arrived with this! i was hoping for a small pot plant!! lol

Advertisement