Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday Drink related megathread thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a bottle of whiskey I'm not going to drink tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

fryup wrote: »
    can the irish not go one day, just one day without drink???
    Sure we can, that day isn't tomorrow though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I'm going to eat a nice rare steak with a few cold ones after work. No cnut is gonna make me eat fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Its ok i will send you over some mashed up eucalyptus leaves:D

wtf

I think you thinking of a koala bear;)

Pandas eat Bamboo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It doesn't help matters what you've spend the last 40 days off the booze and can't have a beverage at midnight.... FFS.

I wonder will some pub take pity on me and let me cradle a pint til 12???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

At least the street dealers don't stop for good friday. Mine's a half ounce.

Got Moosehead and Carlsberg in the fridge. Should pull through. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm getting into mine now. Probably have to visit someone tomorrow for more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

12 bottles of Aldi Schofferhofer plus some Irish Cream liquor to see me through the parching times. And yes, 3 shops I went to this eve and the offy sections were indeed busy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Mrs Mattjack wanted a bottle of vino or four for herself tomorrow.

Ventured down to the local Tesco, and I swear to Superman on the cross , it was like something out of Ethiopia in the 1980s.

Drink starved mobs,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

sure I forgot I've got vodka and JD here. scotchkas* for all \o/

i'm aware JD isn't scotch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yep, today is when people who rarely or never normally drink on a Friday go and bankrupt themselves buying alcohol because "You can't buy drink tomorrow"

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Absolutely not. Many years ago I worked in my local Dunnes Stores and one Holy Thursday myself and another guy were drafted in to give a hand in the off-licence, mainly to keep the shelves fully stocked. The queues were out the door (actually out the door rather than a figure of speech) for almost the entire day from the moment we opened. It was complete lunacy the amount of booze people were buying for the one day that they wouldn't be able to get their hands on any. I can honestly say that that is still the single hardest day's work I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dubchef

Head to Aldi, 20 bottles of Heineken for €15, ye cant go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

They should change it to a Monday or a Tuesday. That way only the nurses and gards are affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Looking forward to going to the pub tomorrow. Is an annual ritual to pop over the border on Good Friday.

• Advertisement

Hell no, were Irish for a reason

Theres a few pubs that are open tomoro, ye just gotta know where to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

IPAM wrote: »
    I didn't drink Sunday - Thursday, bought 20 bottles for a party tomorrow, I went 5 days with no drink, will that do??

so why not make it 6 days..surely it won't kill ya

JC didn't die on the cross for you to get sloshed out of your brain.. now did he?

JC didn't die on the cross for you to get sloshed out of your brain.. now did he?
    Ok just cos your Mr.Pioneer, at least we all enjoy ourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'll be working in a bar tomorrow until 3pm. Free pint for the first 20 who can find me...

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I'll be working in a bar tomorrow until 3pm. Free pint for the first 20 who can find me...
    Wouldnt be arsed finding you, I have free pints all the time, its what happens when you own your own pub haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dubchef wrote: »

no no i'm not a do-gooder by any means...but i do think its not much to ask not to drink on good friday its just one day ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

We just give up the drink because santy says so? fk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I have 10 beers in the fridge from last weeks away football trip and bought some cocktail mixes and vodka in Enniskillen on Tuesday.

Its gonna be weird going to a football match at our club and not having a beer in the bar afterwards so some of my mates are coming over to mine with their drink to have a bit of a knees up. We mite even let some of the Drogheda United lads join us!

no no i'm not a do-gooder by any means...but i do think its not much to ask not to drink on good friday its just one day ffs
    We all think u are a doo gooder, let the hair down and enjoy yourself man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Dubchef wrote: »

It's that sort of attitude that makes non-drinkers feel so wrong about not drinking. What's the big problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

aaronh007 wrote: »

Belfast Airport???

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Generally speaking I don't think people have a problem with not drinking for one day. Most people probably do it several times a week without even thinking about it. I think the issues people have are a) that they're being told they can't drink rather than being given the choice not to; and b) the actual reason why they can't drink. Given that a very significant minority in this country are now either non-Catholic or non-religious, to have a drink ban imposed on them purely because of a decree from the Catholic Church that a past government felt the need to write into law is a hard one to accept. And that's before you include the countless numbers of practising Catholics who will still ensure that they're fully stocked up for the day.

It's not going to happen in the next 10 years, but I don't think the day is too far away when this law is removed and people will be free to buy alcohol on Good Friday. When that happens you can be sure that people won't actually care whether or not they can drink on Good Friday.

To get to the offo before ten? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Sacramento wrote: »
    To get to the offo before ten? :D

I did waaaaaaaaa :mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Start homebrewing lads, theres no such thing as forgetting

jesus fcuking christ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Offo?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Start homebrewing lads, theres no such thing as forgetting

If you drink enough of your homebrew I'm sure there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bluewolf wrote: »
    jesus fcuking christ

You said it, if it wasnt for him, there wouldnt be a thread about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Heading on mini break to Kilkenny tomorrow, staying in hotel, so I can haz booze :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Heading on mini break to Kilkenny tomorrow, staying in hotel, so I can haz booze :D

My condolences.

flanzer wrote: »
    Belfast Airport???

Nope, but about 10 minutes from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Merged.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    jesus fcuking christ

So.... you made it?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Who?

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Who?

John Cena

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Keno 92 wrote: »
    My condolences.

I love visiting Kilkenny, lovely town, nice people, and they pretty handy with a hurley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Who?

Johnny Cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭laros

sure I forgot I've got vodka and JD here. scotchkas* for all \o/

Just call them "whiskas" ..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I got a litre of Captain Morgans and 18 cans of Coca Cola for €25 so I'm well set. Justr knocked back 4 Bishop's Fingers right now so I be a wee bit drunkfaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Can you not honour God for just that one day? They enforce the law by closing bars but it's against the spirit of the law to drink at all on good Friday. It's a disgrace in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Closing down pubs and off-licences because of some 2000 year old fairytale is a joke

Time it was done away with

Can you not honour God for just that one day? They enforce the law by closing bars but it's against the spirit of the law to drink at all on good Friday. It's a disgrace in my opinion.

Lots of people here don't believe in god, never mind honour him. Oh and also, LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oh. Oh dear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement