Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday Drink related megathread thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I got merged! :eek:

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Dutchie passed to the left hand side It a gonna burn cheeeeeeeese :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Grolsch is disgusting it's rare that a beer sounds like what it's actually is Grolsch ewww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I have my teabags stockpiled for today.

I hate alcohol, such an over rated product, waste of money but I suppose the taxes will help to pay for the bank bailouts :P
    The atheists like Eamon Gilmore in government will thank you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Min wrote: »

I hate alcohol, such an over rated product, waste of money but I suppose the taxes will help to pay for the bank bailouts :P

why did you even look at this tread so you twat, god i hate dopes like you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

gustafo wrote: »

I know, my post made too much sense.

I bet others were too busy buying alcohol and forgot the teabags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

gustafo wrote: »

Eh harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

mattjack wrote: »
    Ventured down to the local Tesco, and I swear to Superman on the cross, it was like something out of Ethiopia in the 1980s.Drink starved mobs.

See folks this is what happens when you tell people not to do something, they want to do it even more.
    Moral of the Story: Don't tell grown adults what to do -sláinte! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I hate the fact that stupid laws like offo's are to close at 10pm instead of 11pm are in... and even tho its poxy and serves no real purpose to anything, no-one in government has the sack to undo it.

I'm fcuking sick of the do-gooders in this country!

I seriously fear for future generations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

stacked up on Bavaria :(:)

• Advertisement

I personally like the beer but I do understand you're point as in 'it is over-rated' and it is. whatever a person is happy with is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, for the people who don't like being told that they're not allowed to purchase alcohol on Good Friday due to a religious belief. Do ye work in jobs that give ye this day off? How about Christmas? Should we be allowed purchase alcohol on Christmas too?

It doesn't bother me either way (i don't get a choice for public/bank/religious holidays). But if people want the law changed that they want to buy alcohol on these days, then it shouldn't be a public holiday. Simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i work in a bar so staff lock in tomorro, nah nah. lovely biscuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

So i got cans, but look at the time, i peaked to soon i think, so what now?
    Looks like a trip to Newry might be on the cards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

So i got cans, but look at the time, i peaked to soon i think, so what now?
    Looks like a trip to Newry might be on the cards

almighty dog in heaven, are there no airports, golf clubs or registered clubs/societies in your area? sligo is awash with the bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ok, for the people who don't like being told that they're not allowed to purchase alcohol on Good Friday due to a religious belief. Do ye work in jobs that give ye this day off? How about Christmas? Should we be allowed purchase alcohol on Christmas too?

It doesn't bother me either way (i don't get a choice for public/bank/religious holidays). But if people want the law changed that they want to buy alcohol on these days, then it shouldn't be a public holiday. Simples.
    Que people saying that these were hipster pagan festivals first and they ridicule the Christian traditions but sure i'm entitled to a day off becuase I engage in a good ould wickerman burning and the slaughtering of a few goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Working in a bar from 3 till finish. Lock in job.

Ask any Irish person tonight, good friday night, around 11:45pm-ish any of these questions of which are asked of this parrot and I bet you not one Irishman/woman will come close to brainpower. :pac:

My new thread tomorrow will be can you remember what the parrot said ?. :eek: :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

delw wrote: »
    Why isn't the non sale of meat enforced as well?

That's a good question, because it should be. It fuçking should be. Personally I wouldn't be seen eating meat on good Friday and I believe that my religious choices should be imposed on others. It's just one day a year when we honour our God, if you can't manage that, believer or otherwise, then it's a sad state of affairs. If I saw somebody eating meat today I'd scream at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's a good question, because it should be. It fuçking should be. Personally I wouldn't be seen eating meat on good Friday and I believe that my religious choices should be imposed on others. It's just one day a year when we honour our God, if you can't manage that, believer or otherwise, then it's a sad state of affairs. If I saw somebody eating meat today I'd scream at them.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is expert trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I have to work today - standard office day here.

My personal belief is that there should be no government restrictions on the private transactions between two individuals. If a pub landlord and/or an off-licence owner has personal moral issues selling alcohol on a "special day" (or at a "special time"), then they can stop selling themselves. What I object to is government nannying to enforce the religious beliefs of others onto me.

Similarly with Christmas - if person A wants to purchase alcohol, and person B wants to sell alcohol, the only people that should restrict this purchase should be persons A or B - what business is it of yours (or mine)?
    The other difference between the Good Friday sales restriction and Christmas, is that, in general, you can by (almost) everything else today, but virtually all shops are closed on Christmas day.

As for whether or not it should be a public holiday - it isn't one of the official holidays in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Confab wrote: »

A bit too obvious, wont get enough bites.
    Anyhow, I didn't pack a lunch today on purpose, had a lovely Centra breakfast roll there at 8am & down to the chipper for a quarter pounder at lunchtime.
    Fridge is stocked with tinnies & wine, tonight's gonna be a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Can the Irish not live without Alcohol for one bloody day.

Wow can society not be held back by myths and fairytales, and the rules of the organisation responsible for the myths imposing their fairytale on the rest of the populus in a supposedly "secular" society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Sure! No problem! Is next Tuesday okay for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It's just one day a year when we honour our God, if you can't manage that, believer or otherwise, then it's a sad state of affairs. If I saw somebody eating meat today I'd scream at them.

really? you'd better not go to Mcdonalds then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, I can easily, and do most days, but I'd like to decide those days myself and not have a church I don't believe in tell me so!

I always make a point of drinking alcohol and eating meat on Good Friday because I have been told I'm not to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, I can easily, and do most days, but I'd like to decide those days myself and not have a church I don't believe in tell me so!

I always make a point of drinking alcohol and eating meat on Good Friday because I have been told I'm not to!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Confab wrote: »

Nah it's too blatant to actually be trolling, very much tongue in cheek. Surprised some people can't take a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Yes we should. Why shouldn't we?
    But if people want the law changed that they want to buy alcohol on these days, then it shouldn't be a public holiday. Simples.

:confused:

What?? Why the hell not? All the shops are open, its completely normal for the service industries to run on bank holidays when other industries give days off.

Ever here of a place called Britain? Seems to work just fine there.

Bizarre, nonsensical post.

Quality beer drinking tune and video LOL I almost collapsed dancing to this. :D

Fear not as there is a shop open today and it's in the rivervalley shopping centre beside tony's chipper but at least you can buy food or ciggs or if you are really in part with the guy BEER opens even on christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

zenno wrote: »

Quality beer drinking tune and video LOL I almost collapsed dancing to this. :D

Fear not as there is a shop open today and it's in the rivervalley shopping centre beside tony's chipper but at least you can buy food or ciggs or if you are really in part with the guy BEER opens even on christmas day.

If true best to keep to yourself. Why potentially ruin a good thing?

*cracks can open*

Cheers boardsies Happy Easter

some indoor party going on in that peacock, time to gate-crash it but i don't have a pass, just working on one here in photoshop should do the trick. as it always does. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can see this from two sides.

So much for the seperation of church and state. You could nearly argue that it was unconstitutional that a church holiday is deciding what we can and can not do, when you can't but alcohol on a good friday or christmas day. I was in England last christmas, and never enjoyed a few midday beers as much before that Chrstmas day. Although that may have been more down to the company and mood at time.

Other side of arguement

FFS, can you not go one or two days without a bloody drink, you only want it cos some stupid law says you cant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Really you shouldn't be having sex or having a **** on good Friday either, on top of everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Really you shouldn't be having sex or having a **** on good Friday either, on top of everything else.

You should NEVER **** and NEVER have sex For pleasure, it's for procreation only don't you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

irish-stew wrote: »

So much for the seperation of church and state. You could nearly argue that it was unconstitutional that a church holiday is deciding what we can and can not do, when you can't but alcohol on a good friday or christmas day. I was in England last christmas, and never enjoyed a few midday beers as much before that Chrstmas day. Although that may have been more down to the company and mood at time.

Other side of arguement

FFS, can you not go one or two days without a bloody drink, you only want it cos some stupid law says you cant.

This arguement about "it's only a day" doesn't wash. Would you have the same attitude if some religion found it offensive to drive cars on a certain day and imposed that through the laws of the country, even though you don't follow that religion? It's the same thing with today; I'm an adult taxpaying citizen of this country with no interest in this cult or its traditions, yet our dark age law here imposes it on everybody.

The choice should be a simple one: if you are part of that religion, observe the traditons of it yourself and don't expect everyone else to suffer because of it. It's ****ing laughable and embarrasing that a so called "modern society" can still have it's laws stuck in 1950.

DarkJager wrote: »
    This arguement about "it's only a day" doesn't wash. Would you have the same attitude if some religion found it offensive to drive cars on a certain day and imposed that through the laws of the country, even though you don't follow that religion? It's the same thing with today; I'm an adult taxpaying citizen of this country with no interest in this cult or its traditions, yet our dark age law here imposes it on everybody.

The choice should be a simple one: if you are part of that religion, observe the traditons of it yourself and don't expect everyone else to suffer because of it. It's ****ing laughable and embarrasing that a so called "modern society" can still have it's laws stuck in 1950.

I would find it offenceive that I couldn't drive my car, because I need my car for work and other things. But I dont need to drink everyday.

Personally I couldn't really give two hoots if the pubs never opened on good friday, I do think its a stupid law though and pubs should be allowed to make the decision themselve.

I still think though people go on about it, only because their choice has been taken away, and not because they want a drink today anynore compared to another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I would find it offenceive that I couldn't drive my car, because I need my car for work and other things. But I dont need to drink everyday.

Personally I couldn't really give two hoots if the pubs never opened on good friday, I do think its a stupid law though and pubs should be allowed to make the decision themselve.

I still think though people go on about it, only because their choice has been taken away, and not because they want a drink today anynore compared to another day.

Exactly. What sort of country can claim to be a modern society when it removes an adult choice for the sake of a religious day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

While there is an aspect of that, Friday is often a common drinking night - a way to unwind after the pressure of working all week.

The daftest thing about the law is that it doesn't actually stop people doing what the god-fearing folk want you to not do - i.e. not consume alcohol.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Exactly. What sort of country can claim to be a modern society when it removes an adult choice for the sake of a religious day?

Hence my orriginal two sides of the agruement post
    ...that a church holiday is deciding what we can and can not do...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I personally don't like drinking during the week, so would only usually drink on Friday or Saturday, so it's a pain in the hole that I can't go to the pub today because a religion I'm not part of says so.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

The law is indefensible imo.
    All it has done is it has changed good friday into national house party day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Other side of arguement

FFS, can you not go one or two days without a bloody drink, you only want it cos some stupid law says you cant.[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly. If this is what's bothering people they cant have much to worry about, actually think its a poor reflection on the people who get their knickers in such a twist, if its that much hassle, have a house party, hop on a plane, sure are we not always complaining about the price of drink in pubs anyway.

In saying that i'm off to the RDS tonight for a rugby match, bars are open so i might have a pint or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I'm on medication that doesn't mix well with drink, so I'm glad I don't have to go to a pub full of drunk people while sober. I do probably have to go to a house party full of drunk people while sober, so it amounts to the same thing.

Although last year I took a girl out for dinner and was mightily pissed off when we coudn't order some wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

If it was Good Monday or Tuesday I don't think anyone would give a toss, but its on a Friday, and the start of a bank holiday weekend at that.
    I think thats the biggest reason people are getting annoyed.

As for the whole church and government thing, well we do have a few bank holidays because of religious days.
    So would the same people saying "to hell with the church telling us what to do" be happy to give those up as well, me thinks not!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

GastroBoy wrote: »
    As for the whole church and government thing, well we do have a few bank holidays because of religious days.
    So would the same people saying "to hell with the church telling us what to do" be happy to give those up as well, me thinks not!!
    I could be wrong but I imagine we'd get them anyway? They just choose to associate some of them with religious holidays.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I could be wrong but I imagine we'd get them anyway? They just choose to associate some of them with religious holidays.

Which is why i said a few of them........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I haven't read the whole thread but my feelings on the day called "Good Friday" are as follows.

"Good Friday" from now on should be called "State Backed Religious Discrimination Day"

It don’t bother me in regards to buying drink as I don’t frequent pubs much at all.
    However from a legal point of view (if not Irish discrimination then EU laws also), it might be seen as state discrimination against those that are not of a particular faith.

In todays society of equality for all and of what supposedly our government is trying to espouse, here we still have in the statue books, the legal ability to allow businesses to be forced closed just because one religion in as state says so!
    What about people of other faiths or who have none at all?
    What does it say about a law that picks on one line of business, tells it to close – yet allows all others to continue to operate?
    Why?
    …Well because one bunch of religious people via Rome, says so! …And whats more, this discrimination, separate picking on one line of business, is additionally backed up by out of date, one sided state law!
    A state and constitution by the way that is supposed to be of secular basis, not religious basis – but as we ALL know, this is not the truth.
    One religion still holds sway in our state laws it very clearly seems, hell, god as such is still in the constitution.

Supposing the state said we cannot legally buy meat, sugar or cig’s for a day because a law says so – the people would (rightly) be in uproar for its clear victimisation and discrimination against certain people, in favour of others.
    …But its drink, so thats different – so lets discriminate and ban our own and visitors to our state from buying a particular line of product!
    Anti-secular state daftness!

Suppose tomorrow the government says that on a particular Friday from now on, because just of the feelings of one religious group, hiring of DVD’s will be illegal – would that not be a violation of your human rights to be able to chose with free-will, what you want to do?
    Aaa.. but thats different of course isn’t it!

Its clear cut discrimination against those not of a particular religion.
    Try and dress it up as “Aaaa sure can’t we give up the drink for one day?” is a poor man’s stupid argument and one that exposes that they completely (and maybe deliberately wish to) miss the point of discrimination against others and their freewill also to have the right to chose how they spend their precious leisure time having possible worked all week!

For a state that at times tries to espouse that all are equal in the eyes of the law and should all be treated fairly, some rules still apply in this state that are antiquated and frankly stupid.

I don't give a rats ass for the ability to have a drink or not - what important to me is that through our state laws, there is a discrimination for one religion and their dictates against 'others', and according to our still non-secular state laws those 'others' can go to hell, they can like it or lump it.
    They will be forced into submission and shut off from doing what they wish to do in their free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's not a public holiday...

• Advertisement
Advertisement