Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forcing customers to use the Lodge ATM machines

• 05-04-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I understand that the bank wishes to reduce the number of staff, but these ATM machines for Lodgements are absolutely vile. I've watched staff interrogate queuing members of the public, and directing them to the machines - even an 80 year old man who would have no concept of how to lodge the money, let alone remember his PIN.

Then, there's the other issue. Why is my balance 'unavailable' on these machines? I've used them several times to lodge cash, and on separate occasions cheques, sometimes both, but in every instance my balance is 'unavailable'. Can't someone actually make that function work?

On lodging cheques, if I want to lodge a cheque with a Teller, let me. I want the money in my account there and then so I can process transactions before 5pm and have the money go where it's supposed to. Physically making me and directing me to use these machines means my Cheque won't actually turn up in my account until the machines have been checked by a human at the end of the day (Despite what you say, that's how it's happened every time) and I miss the deadline for performing a transfer.

Your tellers are the best asset your branches have to offer. Replacing them with one Teller and a wall of ATM/Lodgement machines and a PC for 365 is a backwards step. It's akin to companies outsourcing tech support to India and then realising they're losing customers as a result. Bring back your staff to where they're needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your post.

The choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine. Our branch staff are supporting customers by demonstrating how to use the new facilities available to them.

Unfortunately balances are unavailable for lodgements made using the devices. You can check your balance at a multi-function lodgement ATM, ATM or using the statement printer in-branch.

Lodgement machines accept cash and cheque lodgements to your current/savings account or credit card. Cash lodgements are credited to your account immediately. Cheque lodgements are subject to verification and we undertake regular reviews throughout the day to make such funds available. Apologies if this was not the case in the past.

We appreciate your feedback on your experience to date. We're introducing new technology to our branches, while retaining some of our traditional services. Thanks also for your kind words about our cashiers who are happy to help whenever you need them.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

The choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine.

Cheque lodgements are subject to verification and we undertake regular reviews throughout the day to make such funds available.

2 issues here;

the "choice" you speak of is bullsh_it. there arnt any lodgements slips available in the banks ive been in in the last week so this isnt really leaving options open to me as they used to be IS IT? no!... also i was specifically told on wednesday by a woman at the counter that very soon cheques will no longer be accepted at the counter.......and for the last few months iv been practically harassed by staff at the counter for going to them with cheques (do not get me started on the fuc_king lectures i get about online banking despite politely saying im not interested)

im afraid im going to call your bluff on cheques clearing during the day as well, isnt the case with 6 cheques i lodged (on separate occasions) so far to these bloody machines, all wernt cleared til the end of the day (5 were lodged before lunchtime)

heres an idea bank of ireland (nothing personal against the minions)........

i'll agree to use all your annoying new ways of banking when you stop charging me bank fees! what the hell am i paying for? to be told: go away and do it yourself? no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I agree with greenfingers, you pretty much get given out to now if you go to the counter with cheques or cash. It's very disconcerting. I was just in a branch earlier making a lodgement, and with only one teller the queue was nearly 20 people deep. Surely it's not the best use of the bank's time to have people queueing so long. The Lodgement ATM machine was also out of order in this branch, but yet only one teller was still working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭Tow

Owen wrote: »
    The Lodgement ATM machine was also out of order in this branch,

I know of one AIB lodgement machine where the bank could not open it...
    Unlike a good old fashioned box, which would not cost too much to replace if a crowbar and angle grinder were required to do the honours, the expensive lodgement machine was another story and had to be sent back to the manufactures. Needless to say to took a couple of weeks before that day’s lodgements were eventually made.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I look at this way, I get charged bank charges everytime I pay my money into my account so the bank can provide someone at a till - I never use the lodgement machines and I get really anoyed when there is a queue and someone from the bank is patrolling it trying to get people to use the lodgement machine, they should be behind the counter serving customers rather than annoying them.

Was in BoI this week and there was a queue of 4 people for a cashier and 2 for the lodgement machine and I was served quicker by a cashier than if I'd waited for a machine :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So there are automated lodgement machines that can't display your balance?

So you have to queue twice to look at two physically separate machines to do two very simple, related tasks?

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Hate queuing! There is always a queue in my local branch.
    I like these machines, cool that I get a copy of my cheque when I lodge it. The branch I use has machine that is also ATM so get balance I think very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

What annoys me most is the withdrawal of the fast lodgement box. This was a very simple way to deposit a cheque, just pop it into the box with a lodgement slip for batch processing later in the day. No queueing, no hassle, no extra cost to the bank. Now it's gone, and the bank has replaced it with a glorified encoding machine that costs c.€60K, so that they don't have to pay someone in the branch or at a data processing centre to encode roughly 60 items manually.

I don't like stuffing cheques into a machine, especially when the machine can chew the cheque up if there is someone before me stupid enough to leave a paper clip or staple in their cheque.

Bring back the Fast Lodgement Box!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I agree with the comments above that your tellers are your best assets. It's nice to be served with a smile. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person with a problem with these machines. I've told the staff member walking the queue, that I will cross the road to another bank rather than use these machines. These machines will go the way of the voting machines, an expensive waste of money. Also the person walking the Q is surplus staff and should be laid off. The quick lodge box was handy if you were in a hurry, you could have a lodgement preprepared, double park, nip in, no queue and run.
    I speak as a customer, a shareholder and a taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I would have to disagree with some of the comments above. Irish people are always the first to moan and groan when something new is introduced that they feel does not fit in with their ideal world. We have to move on with the times and anything that provides a better service for me the customer I am happy with. I am delighted the bank have introduced the new lodgement machines and have use them about 4-5 times a week from lodging cheques, cash and paying credit card. Much prefer them to a brown wooden box and be at the mercy of staff empty a box and check and double check which is very inefficient.

I am glad that BOI are moving to a more modern approach to banking and the icing on the cake would be if they changed the very annoying hold music and female voice (whom I have since found out is a BOI employee in Dublin) on the phone system - surely you can spare some cash to pay a professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I much prefer those machines to the brown box. I always felt nervous putting stuff into the box and getting no record of it.

And I hate queuing! Anything that makes things faster works for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Owen wrote: »
    I understand that the bank wishes to reduce the number of staff, but these ATM machines for Lodgements are absolutely vile. I've watched staff interrogate queuing members of the public, and directing them to the machines - even an 80 year old man who would have no concept of how to lodge the money, let alone remember his PIN.

Then, there's the other issue. Why is my balance 'unavailable' on these machines? I've used them several times to lodge cash, and on separate occasions cheques, sometimes both, but in every instance my balance is 'unavailable'. Can't someone actually make that function work?

On lodging cheques, if I want to lodge a cheque with a Teller, let me. I want the money in my account there and then so I can process transactions before 5pm and have the money go where it's supposed to. Physically making me and directing me to use these machines means my Cheque won't actually turn up in my account until the machines have been checked by a human at the end of the day (Despite what you say, that's how it's happened every time) and I miss the deadline for performing a transfer.

Your tellers are the best asset your branches have to offer. Replacing them with one Teller and a wall of ATM/Lodgement machines and a PC for 365 is a backwards step. It's akin to companies outsourcing tech support to India and then realising they're losing customers as a result. Bring back your staff to where they're needed.

I agree 100% with you it is typical B.O.I and it's so bad now you cant even be bothered to ring them now because you get all this automated crap (press one for .... press 2 for ...) etc why cant we ring our branch like it used to be like a few years ago ? and not spend ages listening to this crap. cop on B.O.I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Off you are every forced to us these machines just lodge the smallest coin you have as these machines can't take coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

What annoys me most is the withdrawal of the fast lodgement box. This was a very simple way to deposit a cheque, just pop it into the box with a lodgement slip for batch processing later in the day. No queueing, no hassle, no extra cost to the bank. Now it's gone, and the bank has replaced it with a glorified encoding machine that costs c.€60K, so that they don't have to pay someone in the branch or at a data processing centre to encode roughly 60 items manually.

I don't like stuffing cheques into a machine, especially when the machine can chew the cheque up if there is someone before me stupid enough to leave a paper clip or staple in their cheque.

Bring back the Fast Lodgement Box!!!!!

yes lets start a thread to bring back the lodgement boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I'd agree and disagree with a few of the above comments.

I think the machines are fantastic, in and out in a few minutes, but I do have issues with the pushy staff.

2 weeks ago I was in the branch and there was an old woman (late 70's) in front of me, she was being taken from the cashier line and being put into the machine lines.
    She explained to the staff member that she couldn't remember her pin thats why she was in the other line but the staff member said "ah you will probably remember it by time you get to the machine, I'll keep an eye on you". When the woman got to the machine the staff member was nowhere to be seen and the old woman looked lost.

Also the information desk is now gone (which was the busiest counter) and this week there were 3 staff members wandering the branch while people queued at both the cashier (1 window open) and the machines.

Personally I think if you use the machines then you shouldn't get hit with transaction charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've noticed a nice new ATM & lodge machine outside your newly renovated Walkinstown Branch. Can I use this machine to lodge cheques or do I have to go inside and use a machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for your post.

The ATM outside the Walkinstown branch can be used to lodge cheques.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

heres an idea bank of ireland (nothing personal against the minions)........

i'll agree to use all your annoying new ways of banking when you stop charging me bank fees! what the hell am i paying for? to be told: go away and do it yourself? no thanks

AFAIK the more you use banking online with BOI the less fees you are charged. You have to make a certain amount of online banking transactions per quarter and they waive the bank charges associated with that account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi kassie,

We've recently made a change to our No Transaction Fee Offer. You can find out more information in another one of our threads here.

Thanks for posting,
    Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Hi kassie,

We've recently made a change to our No Transaction Fee Offer. You can find out more information in another one of our threads here.

Thanks for posting,
    Graham

"and rendered it useless for most customers". Graham forgot to metion that bit as you need to keep 3,000 euro in it at all tiimes@ 0% interest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

I don't understand all the negative comments about lodgement machines.

I used machine this week for first time, it was very easy to use. I was in and out within a minute, no lodgement slips to fill out and cheque was credited to account very quickly. People need to move with technology. I can understand why some older people would not like using them and bank shouldn't push it on them but for the rest of customers, accept progress and move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Machines at brilliant - lodged cash last night (Saturday) no need to have to get to the branch during office hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Machines at brilliant - lodged cash last night (Saturday) no need to have to get to the branch during office hours....
    Hi Sheep Shagger, did it go straight into your account on saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Do you think he will remember? it was nearly 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Credit added to the balance on the shadow within a couple of hours....if cash only. Will also appear if cheques...but balance presented may not be drawn against if cheques uncleared

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Marbles101

I lodged a cheque via lodgement machine on Monday. This cheque was not lodged in my parent branch. It still, this evening being Wednesday, is not showing up in my account? Why is this? Such a pain.
    (It's a vhi refund draft cheque)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Marbles101 wrote: »
    I lodged a cheque via lodgement machine on Monday. This cheque was not lodged in my parent branch. It still, this evening being Wednesday, is not showing up in my account? Why is this? Such a pain.
    (It's a vhi refund draft cheque)
    Hi Marbles101,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The cheque should be showing as a lodgement on Monday's transactions with funds unavailable until the cheque has cleared. If there is no record of this, please call 0818 365 365 and an adviser will liaise with the branch to resolve this.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwegian44

Hi,

I'm a business customer who needs to lodge cash after hours using the LATM machines and while I'm all for replacing mundane human processes with machines I expect the process to be of the same value to your customer before introduction. Our Dublin manager tried to lodge some cash last week and went to three different branches ([font=Calibri, sans-serif]Rathfarnham, Tallaght and Blanchardstowm) to find that the LATM's were out of service.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]On the following day the first branch's LATM was out of service (see attached photos) but he had some success with the second branch. He lodged one batch successfully only for the machine to close down on the second batch and then go out of service (he had 7 batches in total). This required him to roster an additional employee the next morning to cover for him while he visited the bank during business hours to verify the second lodgement (no receipt) and to lodge the remaining batches.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Please advise as to:[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]1) Why so many LATM machines are out of service at the same time? Is there a concurrent downtime that we are unaware of?[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]2) Is there a limit to the no. of lodgements that a machine can take before being emptied causing an out of service?[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]3) What can cause a machine to go out of service while processing a lodgement?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Any tips on how we can improve our success rate in using these machines would be greatly appreciated.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks in advance,[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi,

I'm a business customer who needs to lodge cash after hours using the LATM machines and while I'm all for replacing mundane human processes with machines I expect the process to be of the same value to your customer before introduction. Our Dublin manager tried to lodge some cash last week and went to three different branches ([font=Calibri, sans-serif]Rathfarnham, Tallaght and Blanchardstowm) to find that the LATM's were out of service.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]On the following day the first branch's LATM was out of service (see attached photos) but he had some success with the second branch. He lodged one batch successfully only for the machine to close down on the second batch and then go out of service (he had 7 batches in total). This required him to roster an additional employee the next morning to cover for him while he visited the bank during business hours to verify the second lodgement (no receipt) and to lodge the remaining batches.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]1) Why so many LATM machines are out of service at the same time? Is there a concurrent downtime that we are unaware of?[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]2) Is there a limit to the no. of lodgements that a machine can take before being emptied causing an out of service?[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]3) What can cause a machine to go out of service while processing a lodgement?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Any tips on how we can improve our success rate in using these machines would be greatly appreciated.[/font]

Hi Galwegian44,

Thanks for your post.

We’re sorry to hear that these lodgement ATM’s were out of service when your manager needed them and apologies for the inconvenience caused. We’ll forward your feedback here to the branches involved.
    In relation to the maximum limit a machine can take, we would be unable to confirm this here as it would be business sensitive information. From time to time a machine may go out of service however there is not a specific time that this would occur. When lodging notes, please ensure that they are flattened out as best you can, as a crumpled note may cause the note to jam. You can lodge up to €3000 in cash and 15 cheques per lodgement. 

If we can help with any other query please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I suppose you can't blame the banks for automating lodgements and withdrawals.Thats what machines are for and it's more profitable for the banks.

I approached the desk of my local branch recently to lodge cash as the machine was occupied for a long time and was directed back to the machine, eventually i gave up and left as i was on a break.The 2nd machine was out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwegian44

Hi,

Hi Galwegian44,

Thanks for your post.

We’re sorry to hear that these lodgement ATM’s were out of service when your manager needed them and apologies for the inconvenience caused. We’ll forward your feedback here to the branches involved.
    In relation to the maximum limit a machine can take, we would be unable to confirm this here as it would be business sensitive information. From time to time a machine may go out of service however there is not a specific time that this would occur. When lodging notes, please ensure that they are flattened out as best you can, as a crumpled note may cause the note to jam. You can lodge up to €3000 in cash and 15 cheques per lodgement. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately this does not help me run a business when 3 branches in the same general locality are out of service all at the same time.....as has happened on multiple occasions.

I'm all for automation but the BOI service has deteriorated to such a degree that the only reason I'm not taking my business elsewhere is because your competitors are as bad. Fortunately for my other financial needs the competition is not so limited.

I hope you have a great day, you're doing a difficult job and I appreciate your response.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi,

Hi Galwegian44,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately this does not help me run a business when 3 branches in the same general locality are out of service all at the same time.....as has happened on multiple occasions.

I'm all for automation but the BOI service has deteriorated to such a degree that the only reason I'm not taking my business elsewhere is because your competitors are as bad. Fortunately for my other financial needs the competition is not so limited.

I hope you have a great day, you're doing a difficult job and I appreciate your response.

All the best.
    Thank you for coming back to us Galwegian44 and we're sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

We appreciate your feedback and have forwarded this to our branch network. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement