Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sex and the City....

• 05-04-2012 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals...

(If this is in the wrong forum please move!)

I wanted to post this here to all you fashionistas. My friend's hen party is in June and we're going for a sex and the city theme but NOT costumey. So the dress code really is, classy with heels <- satc style!

What I want to know is what sort of dresses should I be looking for? I've this idea in my head of buying a nice cocktail dress and putting a bouncy underskirt underneath? I'm a 16/18 with curves to kill :-) I've been looking on ebay but everything that comes up, I could buy in my local costume shop and like I said.. that's not what we're after!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

When I think satc I think (Like you said) super fashionable, classy and chic .. with heels!

And since you really don't want it to be costumey then what about Asos Curve?

http://www.asos.com/Women/Curve/Curve-Party-Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=14552#parentID=-1&pge=0&pgeSize=-1&sort=-1

I love them because their stuff is so fashionable!

image1xxl.jpg

I love this dress, it feels very Carrie to me and you could add some lovely accessories.

image1xxl.jpg

This ones a little bit Charlotte!

Maybe these dresses are too simple, but check out the site. some lovely stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ASOS Curve starts at a size 20, which would be too big for the OP.

If you want to wear an underskirt try searching 'swing dress' or 'skater dress' on ebay. Anything with a flared skirt should work fine. Just make sure you know the length of underskirt you need! Browse ASOS for some ideas too.

Killer heels are a must and some cool big accessories like a flower or unique clutch would really give it a SATC edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Hi :-)

Dunno why I didn't look at Asos... LOVE the dresses!

Will have to do some more searching, I found a few things on etsy.com <- my favourite website EVER.. but it takes some time for things to come from the states.

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

Oops really sorry op, for some reason I thought Asos Curve started at 16/18 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

If the Asos Curve stuff only starts at size 20, how the hell are the models wearing the stuff when there's no way they're a size 20 themselves???

Sorry, totally off topic but I'm baffled!! :confused:

OP, a big huge flower near your shoulder is a very Carrie look, or a big full skirt.

Charlotte would be very preppy. It'd be harder to dress like Miranda and Samantha I think.

• Advertisement

Oh don't worry about the sizes on Asos! That's ok and I agree with the other poster, it's a bit stupid if the models are plus size wearing maybe a size 16 and the shop not even fecking selling them. However, Asos do some dresses in size 18.

I was on Forever 21+ yesterday too and they have GORGEOUS plus size gear and it's so reasonable.. !! I love the preppy look aswell but I think I've found something I could wear -> http://www.forever21.com/EU/Product/Product.aspx?br=f21&category=faith_dresses&ProductID=2011409045 What do you think? It's on the right track anyway because lets face it, there isn't a whole lotta choice out there for us curvey girls!

Ohh,.. meant to ask.. can anyone please explain their sizing to me? I just don't get the whole 1x 2x thing. I have my exact measurements (from the bridesmaid fitting) and I can't make head nor tail of Forever21's guide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dorothy Perkins have some lovely prom-style dresses at the moment, which would be perfect for SATC styling.

Oh Thanks! Forgot about DP too! (shows how out of touch I am with shopping online since I maxed the ould Mastercard!)

Advertisement