Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convenors/Oifigeach na Gaeilge????

Options
  • 05-04-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Can someone explain what the Arts/health science ect. Convenors are, and what they are running for? I understand the SU, but whats this all about?

And what's this Oifigeach na Gaeilge thingy that people are campaigning for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

And what's this Oifigeach na Gaeilge thingy that people are campaigning for?

So we can waste more money flogging a dying language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Convenors used to be called "Program officers" they are basically the head class rep of each faculty.

As part of the new SU constitution, from next year they will also convene faculty council. So every two weeks or so the Business and Law Convenor will sit on a council with just the business and law reps. I believe this is because SU council was becoming to cumbersome to deal with the smaller issues reps were discovering within their schools.

The Irish officer is a position in the union that sits on the executive council. As an exec officer he is considered quite important, as important as a convenor, below a sabbatical officer. Since the new constitution it is the only position that is going to be directly elected. One of the reasons for this is that it is their job to promote the Irish Language, and so they have to be able to promote themselves. If you get me.

I haven't actually read the constitution though, so I could be wrong.

Advertisement