Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on good Friday

Options
  • 05-04-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Anyone know if the pubs close at 12am Friday? or do they stay open for those going out Thursday night?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Seeing as though most people drink at home these days - why is this an issue any longer?

1966 wrote: »
    Seeing as though most people drink at home these days - why is this an issue any longer?

Friday and Saturday are fairly busy pubwise in Cork City, I see you're in Kildare, from my time living there I noticed Naas was a decent drinking town at the weekends too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

They're legally obliged to close for 24 hours on Good Friday and Christmas Day.

12am Thursday night/Friday morning to (usually) 12pm on Saturday morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    They're legally obliged to close for 24 hours on Good Friday and Christmas Day.

12am Thursday night/Friday morning to (usually) 12pm on Saturday morning.

36hrs;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    36hrs;)

They could open at 12am Friday night/Sat morn if they wanted to but it'd be a waste of money since they'd have less than 2 hours to make their money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They could open at 12am Friday night/Sat morn if they wanted to but it'd be a waste of money since they'd have less than 2 hours to make their money.

2hrs is more than enough to make money - ask any nightclub manager.

You'll make money. But not enough to justify the hassle. Better to stay closed and then people will be more up for it Sat and Sun instead. And it's less than 2 hours, since you'll only be able to open the doors after 12 and then get people in. And frankly, the cops are gonna shut you down at the actual legal time of 1:30am because they didn't have the kind of relaxed night they're used to on good friday so they'll happily mess with you right back :)

Actually because of the weird way the late license works I'm not sure you could open on Friday night at 12am. Consult your solicitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

You'll make money. But not enough to justify the hassle. Better to stay closed and then people will be more up for it Sat and Sun instead. And it's less than 2 hours, since you'll only be able to open the doors after 12 and then get people in. And frankly, the cops are gonna shut you down at the actual legal time of 1:30am because they didn't have the kind of relaxed night they're used to on good friday so they'll happily mess with you right back :)

Actually because of the weird way the late license works I'm not sure you could open on Friday night at 12am. Consult your solicitor!

You could open your pub all day if you scheduled a rugby match in your city in a tournament sponsored by, and named for a drinks company.

Limerick pubs are allowed open early this Sunday for rugby match too. Nice to see the law being bent to suit those who couldnt possibly attend a sporting event sober while the Government propose new pricing levels that will punish all consumers of alcohol. Even those who drink moderately.

Agreed evilivor! I'd actually forgotten about that Limerick thing until you mentioned it. Ridiculous.

So yeah, forget everything. The law is whatever they decide on the day apparently :o

Advertisement