Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had a cushy job?

• 05-04-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I still miss a couple of jobs I had in college, making money for doing very, very little work. A brief stint in a public service job stands out as supremely cushy, loads of lunch/tea breaks and was told to make sure to take all my sick leave....by my manager.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Temp job in Oranmore. 500 a week for sitting on my hole all day or close to it when I got up for the occasional walk around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Minimum wage €8.65 when I was 14 the summer of Junior Cert in a vinyl shop. Busy enough for the first while but most days I was sitting around just answering the phone or sweeping up around the place.

Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

There were a couple of babysitting jobs I had where the kids were young enough to be in bed when I arrived, so I'd get paid to sit in front of the TV every night!

Those jobs ended a long time ago though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Worked for the tax office in naas as a student. Somehow all the part timers were on a higher scale than some of the newer full time contracts. 420 pounds a week fo r answering phones and opening/sorting mail around because that's all we were allowed do on short contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

wrong thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Minimum wage €8.65 when I was 14 the summer of Junior Cert in a vinyl shop. Busy enough for the first while but most days I was sitting around just answering the phone or sweeping up around the place.

Bliss.
    What you call bliss I call boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I was a programmer at Microsoft last year and will be returning in a few months. Work had to be done, but they take flexitime to a whole new level. You can work any hours you like (including 2am on a Sunday morning), provided that you attend for important meetings and get your assigned work done.

If you don't feel particularly productive, you can get a free massage, nag a coworker to join you for some Starbucks or just go home early. There are also frequent corporate events with free food and alcohol and team outings every couple of months. A favorite of mine was a spa day at the Royal marine hotel in Dun Laoghaire

Obviously some weeks are better than others, and when deadlines are looming you might be working a fair bit of overtime so it's not just all fun and games.

This has the nice balance of not being bored to tears at work, being able to go at your own pace and having plenty of job satisfaction at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Absolutly not! :(
    I've worked with horses since I was a young teenager. This meant feck all pay.
    Long, long working hours ( could be as early as 3 in the morning on a show day, and no finishing hours, just whenever everything was done.)
    Putting up with snobby clients who treated me like a slave.
    Various injuries, concussions etc.
    Horrible bosses and loads of fighting (no unions either)

Loads more negatives but I still loved it.
    I'm a full time mother for the moment... Cushiest job I've ever had! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Leeg17 wrote: »

Bliss.
    What you call bliss I call boredom.
    He was 14 and had plenty of free time, I'm guessing he spent the hours "polishing the rocket." Getting paid to masturbate, that's the dream boys, that's the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I worked for FAS, will never get as cushy as that.

Also used to work in my fathers textile factory when I was 16. I had a bed made up in the rafters that was 10 times as cosy as my own bed now. My little setup finished rather ungracefully when the day came when he could'nt find me for an hour after he was looking for to give me a lift home.

He found me allright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I worked removals for an antique store during the summer after I left school. I found it great, it entailed a lot of driving which I love, a good friend of mine was doing it with me, the money was excellent for an 18 year and it was only 3 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

thinly veiled PS bashing thread

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

IM0 wrote: »
    thinly veiled PS bashing thread

:pac:

Not at all! I actually worked in the public sector subsequently in a totally different capacity and there was no slacking in that department, we worked a 41 hour week and got standard leave and break entitlements. No nonsense about sick leave or taking the p!ss with breaks in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I did "security" at a weekend festival when I was 18. Since I am small my job was to sit and talk to the wives and girlfriends of the band members. Any time they wanted anything my job was to radio and have someone go get it for us.

Was awesome and I made like 150 for the weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Door to door promotion for a health insurance company. 10 euro an hour 20 hours a week just to walk around and talk to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

would probably say that my job is cushy on face value at least. there are loads of long hours involved, particularly around deadlines, but it's not anything physically demanding. im massively interested in the sectors i cover as a journalist, and i enjoy the challenges of managing projects, so im happy with the directorial role i have too

it's not all puppies and rainbows, but i cant think of many jobs i'd rather do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

Supervisor at a cinema at the time it was the perfect job. To be fair when it was busy you were rushed off your feet but when it was quite even just with normal volumes of customers it was a pretty sweet job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Used to work for 11850, which wasn't cushy in itself, but after a while I was put on international services, which in the evenings could mean a single call every 20 minutes to an hour. So sometimes I'd end up sitting eating a bag of chips (I used to be the go-to-guy for ordering pizza / chipper, and the managers would take me off the phone to take orders) while chatting, on the internet on my phone or occasionally watching the managers play computer games with my feet up.

Occasionally working as a Sound Engineer was pretty cushy too, just set up all the mics at the start, and once I set all the bands levels I'd just sit back, have a couple of pints and watch live music, then take down mics and wrap cables at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Working in retail in the airport at Terminal 2 before it opened. I read the entire Game of Thrones series, Lord of the Rings and a few more in the 6 months I was there.

Quit after that because I thought my brain was getting dumber through inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Taking tickets at an ice skating rink. Come out once an hour, take tickets, return to my seating area and read my magazine/chat to the hot Polish skating marshalls. Repeat 8 times. 11 quid an hour plus free lunch and brewed coffee. Who didn't love the Celtic Tiger?

Working on a go karting track as a marshall. €9 an hour, but at 19 you get to wear a cool t-shirt, a hi-vis and a headset. The business. All I'd to do was stroll around, when they crash you pull them apart. You get to do laps with all the karts at the end to take them back inside and 'test for faults' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When I lived in the US I worked for a brief time as a temporary personal assistant to a fairly wealthy internet mogul. Completely bull****ted my way through the application and interview process. I literally had nothing to do but make a few phone-calls and reservations for yer man. Got paid anywhere up to $1500 a week for doing it. I cried when the girl I was filling in for returned from maternity leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yeah I get up switch on my computer cook some croissants make a cafetiere coffee answer some emails batch process pictures send them to picture agencies for my boss.... snooze play play some plays station 3 play around on the internet. Go off do some jobs do some more jobs go for walks ask lots of questions ... I get payed ok theres no bull**** and I'm saving so much money at the moment...

Tho once work comes in for me Im on it like a fat kid on a cup cake :D...
    I've got a relaxed job Im lucky and I get payed pretty well. :)
    its not going to be here for much longer.....

Can any one say rat race...:/

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

Snowie wrote: »
    yeah I get up switch on my computer cook some croissants make a cafetiere coffee answer some emails batch process pictures send them to picture agencies for my boss.... snooze play play some plays station 3 play around on the internet. Go off do some jobs do some more jobs go for walks ask lots of questions ... I get payed ok theres no bull**** and I'm saving so much money at the moment...

Tho once work comes in for me Im on it like a fat kid on a cup cake :D...
    I've got a relaxed job Im lucky and I get payed pretty well. :)
    its not going to be here for much longer.....

Can any one say rat race...:/

Hope you don't have to proof read anything :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Beach lifeguard for the summer months. Pass the day swimming, sitting and walking around the beach. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

lazygal wrote: »
    I still miss a couple of jobs I had in college, making money for doing very, very little work. A brief stint in a public service job stands out as supremely cushy, loads of lunch/tea breaks and was told to make sure to take all my sick leave....by my manager.

Your manager should have been sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

Got paid very well to put the Microsoft stickers on the computers in dell . Sometimes put them upside down for a thrill .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Night porter but many nights there would be no residents at all

Just me on my own

All I had to do was maybe two hours of cleaning and some setup for breakfast and then I'd sleep for the rest of the shift

The breadman would wake me up in the morning

I was an expert on US politics after a while as that's all that was on TV at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

There's a fine balance between cushy and boring.

I would like the type of job were you grind and slog it out for a protracted period, get paid well then enjoy a lot of time off. Something like an oil rig worker or crab/salmon fisherman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

pushki wrote: »
    Got paid very well to put the Microsoft stickers on the computers in dell . Sometimes put them upside down for a thrill .

You bastard! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Working in retail in the airport at Terminal 2 before it opened. I read the entire Game of Thrones series, Lord of the Rings and a few more in the 6 months I was there.

Quit after that because I thought my brain was getting dumber through inactivity.

Sorry, they had shops open in the terminal before the terminal was open?
    So no possibility of customers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Have to agree with the people who say they like being busy in work. I'm usually non-stop in work and hate the days when I have little to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Helix wrote: »
    would probably say that my job is cushy on face value at least. there are loads of long hours involved, particularly around deadlines, but it's not anything physically demanding. im massively interested in the sectors i cover as a journalist, and i enjoy the challenges of managing projects, so im happy with the directorial role i have too

Job interview answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Worked in a video shop, i used to get mostly day shifts, we didnt open til 11 and i didnt drive at the time so my dad would drop me off as his drive to work webt right past it, id get the entires day work done in an hour as the place wasnt open and spend the rest of the day watching movies, if it wasnt that the pay was crap and the manager was a tool then i would have worked there forever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Worked in a Midland Health Board nursing home years ago as an odd jobs man, occasional gardener.
    There was a big garage out the back where old beds & mattresses were kept, after clocking in for 9am I'd go out there for a snooze, get up around 12am to potter around & make myself visible, have the lunch then back for an afternoon kip.
    Once the bins were emptied & grass cut nobody gave 2 hoots.
    Was good money too . . . . . sigh.
    Then I got offered a job based on my 3rd level degree so I had to join the Private Sector, yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nope, I've always worked hard - 'tis a pain in the hole but there ya go, flog a willing horse and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As a 16 year old I got a temp gig covering for a porter in a bank. Basically: pick up milk, bread and papers on your way in, open up, have a cup of tea whilst letting the other staff in, take a wander around town for a couple of hours to deliver some mail (regular guy spent this time in the bookies), have lunch, frank some mail for the afternoon and drop the transaction documents down to the batch processing centre every couple of hours, close the branch, drop mail to An Post, have more tea and feck off once regular staff were finished or the manager decided he'd lock up for you (most days). Over £350 a week at the time and the easiest money I've ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I have a very cushy job at the moment. Bored out of my mind. Am gonna quit to get a more busy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Night-time security guard in the factory of a big multi-national. No night-time production shifts. Rarely anyone about. 2 other guys with me but we could keep to ourselves and just keep everything locked down.

Very cushy job, 12 hour shifts and plenty of them - it was a summer job. The overtime was unreal. Came out with €600+ most weeks of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Had some cushy jobs and parts of some jobs can be cushy. My first proper job involved working in a small cash and carry. In for 9:30 assemble a few orders then nothing much. Hour and a half for lunch, then back to doing not much. Bored out of my head, so I went back to school.

Another job started off quietly because I was hired before they really had no work for me. So I just sat in an office all day with nothing to do. One day I even deliberately did absolutely no work at all for the entire day just to see if I could do it. Believe it or not that's really hard work.

Later it got busy but cushy enough that I could wander off round the factory if I felt like it, to chat to the lads. Also because I had a motorcycle I was sent out to deliver vital samples and lodge cheques. I once lodged £750,000 in the bank. But the best bit was being paid to ride my bike all over Dublin and Kildare and get paid for it.

My current 'job' could be called cushy, after all I only work a few days a week and am off for months every year. But when I work, I really work hard with fourteen hour days at times, doing what many people think is their dream job. That dream fades quickly let me tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Working for a comp training company- esentially worked from home googling schools/businesses for them to target and emailing them to the company at the end of the day :) worked every day in my PJs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

xflyer wrote: »
    My current 'job' could be called cushy, after all I only work a few days a week and am off for months every year. But when I work, I really work hard with fourteen hour days at times, doing what many people think is their dream job. That dream fades quickly let me tell you!

Are you a teacher or lecturer now? (not trying to be smart - just curious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Six week summer job in an immense document warehouse in Milton Keynes in the late 80s. Minibus from home there and back, fiver an hour and a maximum of one doc. request per day to be satisfied. The rest of the time was spent lounging in a little nest in the labyrinthine corridors reading and drinking endless tea, I must have read fifty-odd books in the time I was there.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Are you a teacher or lecturer now? (not trying to be smart - just curious)

I think he's a pilot!

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

phill106 wrote: »
    Sorry, they had shops open in the terminal before the terminal was open?
    So no possibility of customers?!

Yeh, the only customers were builders and DAA staff, so about 5 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yep, the local County Council one Summer after school.

Sorry if this comes across as a public sector bashing post, but we really did just sit around on our arses doing nothing except accepting a few documents from members of the public, light photocopying and answering the telephone. My supervisor would suggest we try to look busy if we had nothing to do. The reason for this was that they genuinely did have times that the office was over-run. The problem was they couldn't just ask us to come in on a flexible basis (i.e. when grant applications were coming in). I have absolutely no idea why not, the money would have still been worth it.

Disclaimer: I'm sure it has all changed now with numbers falling. This was in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A few. And all in the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

lazygal wrote: »

Exactly the same. And all the tea breaks meant that there was a good flow of conversation in the brief stints between tea breaks. I think I'd 1:30 for lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

My current job is tough but there are frequent times where I can work a full weekend (18 hours a day Saturday and Sunday)

It's easy weekend work (usually supervising a team of guys that are setting up computers at desks, nothing like my normal job of server engineering)

Best thing is I get double pay so I'm getting a weeks salary for 2 long days.
    I also expense the petrol driving to work and back, giving me a (legitimate) gain of another £100 plus can expense £20 of food each day, we all usually go for steak and 2 pints from around 4 til 6 in the afternoons.

I only do this around 3 times a year, great for paying off big items like car insurance or a family holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Go awayy I started college in 2008, all I knows of is going for interviews with hundreds of other folk without having retail experience and the only thing on offer is those commission sales jobs which I'd have a nervous breakdown on.

I think any work I get will seem cushy I know no better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah worked in a factory where my job was to basically push a button every few hours and make sure there was enough stock in my area. Pay wasn't bad and there was overtime any weekend you wanted. Extremely boring though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement