Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When my house is repossessed where do I go ?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Its inevitable that my house will be repossessed by the bank and Im not sure what happens then.
    Do I go into a private rented house or will the local council house me ?
    If I go to the council will they give me emergency housing or will I just go on a waiting list ?
    There are 6 of us living here now in a 4 bed house, my two eldest sons are over 18 and my younger sons are under 18, will I get a 4 bed from the council as a complete family or will they not count my adult sons ?
    Also If I live in Meath can I only apply to Meath County Council ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

2qk4u wrote: »
    Its inevitable that my house will be repossessed by the bank and Im not sure what happens then.
    If I go to the council will they give me emergency housing or will I just go on a waiting list ?
    There are 6 of us living here now in a 4 bed house, my two eldest sons are over 18 and my younger sons are under 18, will I get a 4 bed from the council as a complete family or will they not count my adult sons ?

I think it really depends on your personal situation? Are you working? Are your adult sons working? Or are they still in school?

Gut reaction is that you will have to go into rented accomadation for at least 6 months to avail of rent allowance and go on the housing list - go see the CwO and if your circumstances dictate you may get emergency funding from them.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

it seems if you are homeless they can help.

Good luck

Based on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056484827

I don't see how repossession is coming any time soon at only ~ 5 months of non-payment. The bank will be in no hurry to take on such a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

daltonmd wrote: »
    I think it really depends on your personal situation? Are you working? Are your adult sons working? Or are they still in school?

Gut reaction is that you will have to go into rented accomadation for at least 6 months to avail of rent allowance and go on the housing list - go see the CwO and if your circumstances dictate you may get emergency funding from them.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

it seems if you are homeless they can help.

Good luck
    I was out of work but just got some part time work, only 8-10 hours a week.
    Neither of my oldest sons work and one has epilepsy. The younger two are in school, my wife works 30 hours a week so the CWO would not give me anything, Ive applied for JSA but dont know if I will get it as I was self employed.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Based on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056484827

I don't see how repossession is coming any time soon at only ~ 5 months of non-payment. The bank will be in no hurry to take on such a loss.
    I dont know when it will happen, Im trying to get info on what my options will be. I had a meeting with the bank last week and they suggested I surrender the house to them as I cant pay for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I dont know when it will happen, Im trying to get info on what my options will be. I had a meeting with the bank last week and they suggested I surrender the house to them as I cant pay for it..

Tell them to take a run and jump.
    Really just pay them off what you can afford and don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What bank is it?

Banks covered under the MARP (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/mortgage_arrears/mortgage_arrears_resolution_process.html) cannot just "suggest" to you to surrender the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Is your sons epilipsey bad enough that he can apply for disability. If so then maybe you can apply to be his carer.

The Bank is PTSB, I told them I had no income of any type and even if I get a job it will be low paid and I still wont be able to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can get advice from centrecare or threshold re housing options , go to them first ,the go to local health centre ,see cwo, community welfare office .
    See threshold.ie

Is your sons epilipsey bad enough that he can apply for disability. If so then maybe you can apply to be his carer.
    He was refused disability and we have appealed the decision but appeals are taking for ever to get heard..

• Advertisement

The Bank is PTSB, I told them I had no income of any type and even if I get a job it will be low paid and I still wont be able to pay for it.

So basically you told them there was no way you are paying back the loan, under any circumstances? Doesn't have anything to do with the negative equity involved perchance?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    So basically you told them there was no way you are paying back the loan, under any circumstances? Doesn't have anything to do with the negative equity involved perchance?
    No, if I could get a job that paid well Ill will pay my mortgage and my debts, I dont want to move but I have to face the reality that I may loose my house before I get a job with good money, I am doing an online course, Im waiting for another course to start and I have tried to get work, I am not trying to pull a fast one just trying to be prepared for reality...

Well the good news it that at best it will take the bank 3-5 years to get anywhere near your house, based on similar cases I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

PTSB are covered by the MARP. I cannot believe they have suggested you surrender your home after 5 missed repayments. That's a joke. It's outside what has been agreed with the Financial Regulator (assuming co-operation by the borrower(s)). PTSB must wait 12 months from the date of arrears before starting legal proceedings. I would suggest you visit the link I provided above. If all comes to all this maybe an option - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0207/mortgage.html

I don't know how it works but I would imagine you would have to approach the housing association yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sorry to hear this.

Talk to the local CWO (note they are moving from the HSE to the DSP, so some are moving offices) and see if there is anything that you are entitled to, e.g. mortgage interest supplement or family income supplement.

If it comes to the crunch and you have to move out, you would look for rent supplement from the CWO so you can rent a property. At the same time you would go on the housing list with the council. there would be no harm in talk to both the CWO and the council housing department now.

For six people I imagine it would be a 3-bed, but it is more likely to be decided on cost, not size, once the accommodation is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

sorry for your predicament..i strongly suggest a local citizen advice office..its free and they will be a help...putting you in touch with help and services...keep us informed..God bless and good luck

TO get rent allowance you need to go on the housing list with the council,
    the council have very few 4 bed houses, most are 3bed.THRESHOLD can give you good advice re your housing options.
    USUALLY say in dublin, you put 3 areas where you want to go, in order of priority,when you fill in the form for the housing list.eg swords, finglas ,etc i think under the points system,you get points for4 medical, reasons, no of children,etc so i dont think the council will ignore your sons just cos they are over 18.

Thanks for the info guys...

THE cwo will let you rent depending on how many is in your family,eg the rent allowance limit for a single mother 1 child is 930 per month last time i checked.go to centrecare , citizens advice centre for advice First ,the council may want to know,where did you live, why did you leave etc
    EACH county and city has different ra limits .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Evicted families go to the top of the council waiting list. There is always a stay of three months at least on the court order. There is time to register with the council before the sheriff comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

riclad wrote: »
    THE cwo will let you rent depending on how many is in your family,eg the rent allowance limit for a single mother 1 child is 930 per month last time i checked.
    That depends on location. See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Lets calm down buddy... How many payments have been missed... over what period.. Lots to protect you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I believe if you have kids under 18 the house wont be taken off you. My cousin and her husband who became wealthy during the boom years are now financially ruined and are in talks with their bank who told them since their kids are under 18 the house wont be taken off them

Check that out with the bank and if they say it wont happen try and pay what you can off the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they would wouldent they, it is extreamly hard for a landord to to evict a non paying tenant never mind a bank to evict a home owner, stall the backactor ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Focus Girl wrote: »
    ...our payments from the amount agreed through MABS (€320) to the actual amount (€1124) .....
    You have a house for €320 a month :eek:

Well jealous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Focus Girl

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You have a house for €320 a month :eek:

Well jealous!!!

Well thats one way of looking at it but that 320 is just a drop in a very large ocean of mortgage debt and will will never own our house. So what is the answer - i dont know, keep giving them the 320 and start packing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Would love to know how this man got on as we got call from our bank yesterday - Irish Nationwide/Anglo/IBRC/NAMA - whoever!!! To say our house will be repossessed in six months unless we up our payments from the amount agreed through MABS (€320) to the actual amount (€1124) which is never going to happen. Waiting on letter from Mortgage company to come to read through it properly. We can pay the €320 for six months but if we default on that they are coming for house straight away. So basiclly they want us to pay €1920 over the next six months and then repossess - great. :eek:

I pay your "actual amount" in a household with a single income.

Tell us more please as the bare facts you've stated there will probably get you a fairly hostile reception here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Well thats one way of looking at it but that 320 is just a drop in a very large ocean of mortgage debt and will will never own our house.

I'm paying €1200 rent for an apartment - never gonna own that either. I'd love to have another €880 a month in my pocket.

Pay your mortgage!

Would love to know how this man got on as we got call from our bank yesterday - Irish Nationwide/Anglo/IBRC/NAMA - whoever!!! To say our house will be repossessed in six months unless we up our payments from the amount agreed through MABS (€320) to the actual amount (€1124) which is never going to happen. Waiting on letter from Mortgage company to come to read through it properly. We can pay the €320 for six months but if we default on that they are coming for house straight away. So basiclly they want us to pay €1920 over the next six months and then repossess - great. :eek:

You must be joking. €320 a month? Where is this house, and where can I sign up for this fantastic deal?!

We all know there are people like the above out there, but what I don't get is that it doesn't cross their minds that people might be just a little bit peeved at their actions and their nonchalant attitude to passing their debts onto the tax payer. Here's your answer - YOU sort it out and don't be looking to US.

"we got call from our bank yesterday - Irish Nationwide/Anglo/IBRC/NAMA - whoever!!!"

Is this a joke, or do you actually not even know what bank your mortgage is with?

• Advertisement

IF you are on a low income,have kids, you may get help from the welfare officer with the mortgage, especially if the monthly payment is 320.

Advertisement