Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know if you can receive DAB radio in Inishowen?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

A friend of mine in Limavady has a DAB radio, so I'd guess that east Inishowen should get a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I thought that I might get some overspill from UK DAB stations, but wondering about Irish DAB stations too. Not sure if they are available that far North.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

A friend uses a DAB radio in Greencastle and it works fine, they've also been using freeview tv for the last few years but can't receive any Irish tv stations with it, don't know if a UK DAB radio would have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm getting picked up wrong here.

I know a DAB radio will work and might pick up UK radio if I am within range of it. Forget the whole UK radio/Freeview thing.

My question is will a DAB radio pick up Irish digital radio? Like folk down the country get. Is it transmitted up in the NW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm getting picked up wrong here.

I know a DAB radio will work and might pick up UK radio if I am within range of it. Forget the whole UK radio/Freeview thing.

My question is will a DAB radio pick up Irish digital radio? Like folk down the country get. Is it transmitted up in the NW?

Dublin, Cork and Limerick initially (no major shock there:rolleyes:)

http://www.dbdb.ie/trial-broadcasts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have a DAB radio and it doesn't pick up anything other than a couple of stations on FM.

Strangely enough I can pick up about 6 or 7 Irish music stations on the TV through Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I just bought a DAB on Monday when we moved house(cause the tv point in kitchen is in a silly place) Only picking up UK stations, and I'm in Letterkenny

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say it'll be a very long while before DAB is national. I doubt there is good uptake in areas that can get it for over a year now. In fact, I'm pretty sure the uptake in UK is pretty dismal also, considering how long DAB is running there.

Then there was talk of DAB+ which supercedes DAB standards, as well as Digital Radio Mondiale...

Considering our mountainous terrain up here, I would prefer FM remains the standard for radio broadcasts for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

byte wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be a very long while before DAB is national. I doubt there is good uptake in areas that can get it for over a year now. In fact, I'm pretty sure the uptake in UK is pretty dismal also, considering how long DAB is running there.

Then there was talk of DAB+ which supercedes DAB standards, as well as Digital Radio Mondiale...

Considering our mountainous terrain up here, I would prefer FM remains the standard for radio broadcasts for some time.

My understanding was DAB is a very British standard, and so reasonably popular there, but even the British Government have given up on it. It just never took of here and coverage is sporadic as Technique pointed to.

You may get BBC etc. in Inishowen but very unlikely RTE etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

K-9 wrote: »
    My understanding was DAB is a very British standard, and so reasonably popular there, but even the British Government have given up on it. It just never took of here and coverage is sporadic as Technique pointed to.

You may get BBC etc. in Inishowen but very unlikely RTE etc.
    The first DAB station was Norwegian apparently (according to wikipedia) though BBC weren't far behind.

It'd be very hard for a standard with no national coverage to "take off", however, likewise, I don't think RTÉ should invest too much in it, considering the flop it has been in the UK.

But yeah, you might get UK radio in Inishowen, but pretty much no chance of digital RTE, etc, bar on Saorview, satellite or online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement