Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change address on birth cert?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to change the address on our babies birth cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

As far as I know the birth cert address is just to record the place the child's parents are living at the time of birth. It doesn't have to be updated if you move. Unless you gave an incorrect address at the time of registering the birth I don't know why you would need to change it. I have never heard of it being done before anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Maybe its a silly reason to want to change it but when he was born we were living in a pretty crappy estate that has a bad name and now we have moved to countryside would prefer to have that address on there so just wondered if it was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I understand. To answer your question I don't actually know if you can or not but I would guess not as it is place of parents residence at time of birth.

For what it's worth any time I have had to fill any forms etc. out they ask for current address and if ever place of birth I say Dublin and no more! They generally don't ask for a lot of detail on place of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I just registered my baby's birth today and asked this exact question. He arrived 10 days before we were due to move back to Dublin - we were living in meath for 6 months. Anyway I wanted the Dublin address on the cert and the registrar said it wasnt possible at all - it has to be the address you are at at the time of the birth - there was no budging on that rule. So we now have a culchi baby!! ;-)

Edited to say that Holles st had provided the Meath address so that there qasnk way I could bluff my way around it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks for the replies looks like we are stuck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Maybe its a silly reason to want to change it but when he was born we were living in a pretty crappy estate that has a bad name and now we have moved to countryside would prefer to have that address on there so just wondered if it was possible

I would imagine that the birth cert being a legal document means that the information on it also has to be correct. Therefore the address given is the one that you were living at the time your child was born.

I don't see why you need to change it anyway, birth certs are only used to register for schools, get passports etc. Passports only show county of birth nothing else.

It sounds a little snobby to be honest.

Advertisement