Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any mechanics in the house?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Long shot, i know but im undr super pressure before the long weekend to get an alternator sorted in an Astra van..

If there are any mechanics here or if anyone knows of a mechanic that can sort it out for me tomorrow afternoon I would be eternally greatfull!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

May be a bit late, but you could try Dick McNamara on waterside.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/dick-mcnamara-auto-electrical-repairs-waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

Thanks ORVEE, got sorted this morning! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Youd be surprised how easy it is to overhaul and altenator, or what an auto electrician calls an "Overhaul"

look up altenator repair on youtube and youll find its 2 screws that hold 2 brushes in place, these brushes wear down and contact becomes worse, they simply swap out this litte unit that you can reach on the altenator insitu, costs about 10 euro and they then charge about 140 euro for it.

Complete rip off!

go on youtube and look up altenator repair

Youd be surprised how easy it is to overhaul and altenator, or what an auto electrician calls an "Overhaul"

look up altenator repair on youtube and youll find its 2 screws that hold 2 brushes in place, these brushes wear down and contact becomes worse, they simply swap out this litte unit that you can reach on the altenator insitu, costs about 10 euro and they then charge about 140 euro for it.

Complete rip off!

Great post.

There are many jobs you can do on your car yourself if you check out videos on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Edz87 wrote: »

Complete rip off!

Great post.

There are many jobs you can do on your car yourself if you check out videos on youtube.

BS post !!
    Watching you tube and replacing or repairing an alternator are two different things.
    The brushes are inside the alternator, not some little unit that they simply replace.

It is not always the brushes, sometimes the coil can burn out, or bearings collapse in the shaft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Nypd wrote: »
    BS post !!
    Watching you tube and replacing or repairing an alternator are two different things.
    The brushes are inside the alternator, not some little unit that they simply replace.

It is not always the brushes, sometimes the coil can burn out, or bearings collapse in the shaft.

Are you a mechanic? What you are saying is true but what i was saying wasnt untrue, an altenator has a cap on it that comes of with a couple of screws the brushes are under that with another couple of screw, so before you go and have your car pulled apart by a mechanic go down to your local dealer and order the brushes and swap them out and see how you go, A multi-meter is something i think all car owners should have, just turn on the engine and start turning on the hot air the fan the lights the radion the de mister and see if your battery keeps falling off in power, if so its your altenator.

I come from a place where we didnt have much money and when we had a problem with anything we always tried to repair it ourselves as we simply didnt have the money to pay people, within reason of course.

It takes one bad mechanic to make people sceptical of all mechanics, Ive learnt in my life that even people you think you can trust will either do you or say somethings been done and chance their arm.

Advertisement