Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controversial Football Opinions - Mod Note #413

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

happyman81 wrote: »
    Is this where I say 'yer mam'?

It'd be more Yer Ma!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

monkey9 wrote: »
    It'd be more Yer Ma!!!

I'm still learning how this all works, after all, I'm only 12!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not "controversial", but just a point. Way, way way to much emphasis is placed on size and height of a player in English football. Obviously exceptions, but plenty of players ate just ignored at a younger age because they're too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Not "controversial", but just a point. Way, way way to much emphasis is placed on size and height of a player in English football. Obviously exceptions, but plenty of players ate just ignored at a younger age because they're too small.

That's because small players like Messi would never be able to do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's because small players like Messi would never be able to do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke!

Saying this should result in a ban...
    besides, I thought it was a Wet Wednesday™

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

At the risk of the inevitable wrath from pool fans here goes...

Steven Gerrard, is not and never was a world class player. He has never dined at the top table of midfielders and is one of the quintessential hype over substance english footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

iregk wrote: »
    At the risk of the inevitable wrath from pool fans here goes...

Steven Gerrard, is not and never been a world class player. He has never dined at the top table of midfielders and is one of the quintessential hype over substance english footballers.
    Nah he used to be the biznis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Stoke should stick to rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ireland under jack charlton played the most god-awful football in the history of the game

personally speaking i never got caught up in the whole ole ole brigade i found it embarrassing and cringeworthy and just showed up our football naivety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

fryup wrote: »
    ireland under jack charlton played the most god-awful football in the history of the game

That's hardly controversial, that's widely accepted! Sure Italia 90 was so bad they changed the rules to the game after it!

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    That's hardly controversial, that's widely accepted! Sure Italia 90 was so bad they changed the rules to the game after it!

well it is in this country, Jack is still looked upon as a saint in some parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

well it is in this country, Jack is still looked upon as a saint in some parts

You can still be a Saint why playing some terrible football. Everyone knows Charltons style of play was horrible, but it produced results and the results are the reason he is considered so highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Valencia isn't as good as he is made out to be

Fantastic crosser of the ball and does his fair share of defensive work, but thats about it for me, He is soooo one footed... he only use's his left foot for standing on. Yes, he gets on well enough just using his right, but when there isn't space for him to knock it on, and beat his man, he goes either back/inside. Rinse, wash, repeat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Valencia isn't as good as he is made out to be

Fantastic crosser of the ball and does his fair share of defensive work, but thats about it for me, He is soooo one footed... he only use's his left foot for standing on. Yes, he gets on well enough just using his right, but when there isn't space for him to knock it on, and beat his man, he goes either back/inside. Rinse, wash, repeat...

Maradona was quite one footed too ;)

Valencia is quite predictable in comparison to most other top tier players, but yo don't have to be unpredictable to be a top tier player, you just have to be consistently effective, which Valencia is.

Sure, you know what he's gonna do, but just try stopping him.

You can still be a Saint why playing some terrible football. Everyone knows Charltons style of play was horrible, but it produced results and the results are the reason he is considered so highly.

well i never considered him highly (still don't) thought he was a chancer who bullied most journalists back in the day who questioned his tactics, and i for one agreed with Dunphy at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Busquets is the best DM in the world and would play a more attacking role in pretty much any other team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

G.K. wrote: »
    Busquets is the best DM in the world and would play a more attacking role in pretty much any other team.

Controversial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Plenty of people think he's a bad player, made to look good by those around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Phil jones will turn into the next John o'shea, a good solid pro but nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yep would have him in my team any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Plenty of people think he's a bad player, made to look good by those around him.

Any person that thinks Busquets is a bad player, quite honestly hasnt a clue about soccer.

Warper wrote: »
    Any person that thinks Busquets is a bad player, quite honestly hasnt a clue about soccer.

Could do without the histrionics though. He could learn a thing or 2 from Messi on how to comport yourself on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

I think the fact that he acts like a bitch , makes people dislike him and therefore not judge him
    greendom wrote: »
    Could do without the histrionics though. He could learn a thing or 2 from Messi on how to comport yourself on the pitch
    Could have picked a better player than Messi if your looking on 'how to comport yourself on the pitch'

While I agree that I think Busquests is quality, that comment highlighted in bold along with the Stoke reference they should both come with bans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

skippy15 wrote: »
    Uniteds squad is the 3rd or 4th best in league....please retire already fergie!

Stupid opinion.
    Best Squad in the league, how do you think United coped with such a large list of injuries and still manages to be 8 points ahead of the nearest competition at this time of year?
    It's a quality squad that'd give managers selection headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

All fouls should be yellow cards. It will reduce refs blowing up for somebody looking at them the wrong way, reduce fouls, make the game safer, benefit attacking players and increase game time.

I would think nearly the polar opposite. There's too many cards in today's game. It's a joke how many bookings there are.

ThEre have been some awful challenges that have gone unpunished in the last couple of seasons, but I'm still of the opinion that the yellow and indeed red card have had their currency greatly diminished over the last decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

SeantheMan wrote: »

Pele is becoming more and more bitter with the continuing rise of Messi, and is afraid that he has/will take his title as the greatest ever. Even saying "Neymar is much better than Messi"
    The man drives me mad at this stage, his arrogance and trying to remind people of how good he was and that noone compares to him.

Just seen this posted today, to confirm what I had mentioned earlier, at it again is Pele. I'm beginning to hate him
    Pele: If Messi wants to be the best ever first he must become better than Neymar

http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2012/04/10/3026966/pele-if-messi-wants-to-be-the-best-ever-first-he-must-become

1mcampo1 wrote: »

Could have picked a better player than Messi if your looking on 'how to comport yourself on the pitch'

When Messi is fouled, which happens an awful lot, he just gets up and gets on with it. He doesn't roll around as if he's been shot by a sniper. Maybe Busquets could try that once in a while.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Just seen this posted today, to confirm what I had mentioned earlier, at it again is Pele. I'm beginning to hate him

http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2012/04/10/3026966/pele-if-messi-wants-to-be-the-best-ever-first-he-must-become

Pele needs to stop talking. Every time he opens his mouth he embarrasses himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

If we kept John O'Shea, Man Utd would be more than 8 points clear at the top.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They should relegate at least 5 teams from the Premier League.

The relegation battle is the highlight of the season for most fans. By this stage the usual 2/3 favourites have sorted out the title between them and the Champions League places are usually easy enough to predict. Nobody cares about the UEFA cup or the domestic cups. This leaves fans of 10-12 clubs with nothing to care about apart from the (mis)fortunes of other clubs. Give them something to care about.

I can't think of anything less exciting than supporting a team which finishes in the middle of the table every year. I feel sorry for these fans, much more than for the ones whose clubs are in a real fight until the last day of the season.

The promotion play-offs: everyone loves them and everyone knows they're distinctly unfair. Scrap them and promote the top five (and relegate the bottom five) and the Championship becomes even more exciting with the bonus of the best teams actually going up.

The sting of relegation would be somewhat lessened by the fact that there are four other teams going down and five chances to come up the next year.

Fewer teams would be able to play boring, cagey football with the express intent of finishing 17th.

With more recycling of clubs the cash would get spread around more.

teams that finish third in the group stages of the champion league..should not get automatic qualification for the europa cup, its unfair on teams that start the europa cup from the start imo

Balotelli should be a goalkeeper, and Mancini should be a groundsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

What opinions do you have about Football that many people disagree with?

Mine has to be that Sergio Busquets is a very very good player. The boy starts for two of the best teams in the world. He has 45 Spain caps and is still only 23. He has won everything he possibly can at club level and is very close to doing the same at International level.

He can pass, has fantastic feet, he can tackle, is very versatile and very good in the air. His tom foolery can lead to many disliking him but I cannot deny he is a great player.

So what are yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Lionel Messi is world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Gerard Pique has lovely hair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

double GG wrote: »

Mine has to be that Sergio Busquets is a very very good player. The boy starts for two of the best teams in the world. He has 45 Spain caps and is still only 23. He has won everything he possibly can at club level and is very close to doing the same at International level.

He can pass, has fantastic feet, he can tackle, is very versatile and very good in the air. His tom foolery can lead to many disliking him but I cannot deny he is a great player.

So what are yours?

Busquets a good player? How indie and underground of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

33 pages for you to read through here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056597869

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

double GG wrote: »

So what are yours?

I don't really think that opinion is unpopular. Perhaps amongst some English fanboys but it's certainly not the case with people who know their football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Posted this on the Unpopular Opinions thread on AH

Ryan Giggs is way over-rated. Yes he is a legend in terms of service to United, and his medal collection speaks for itself, but I genuinely believe he is over-hyped as a player.

He was recently crowned the greatest Premier League player of the last twenty years, but IMHO he wasn't even United's best player in that time. Keane, Scholes, Cantona and Ronaldo all played bigger roles in title winning seasons. There was a time from say 01 to 07 when he seemed to regress as a winger so was converted into a midfielder. Bar the odd good performance playing there, his contribution has been over-hyped. Scholes six months since he came out of retirement this season were far better than the season Giggs was awarded player of the year.

*Awaits abuse*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Diego Maradona is one of the all time greats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If a player dives or "feels contact and goes down" they should get nothing but a ban.

Players go down even when they are fouled to "highlight it to the ref". Bollox to that. The spain portugal match tonight had loads of this. I think Iniesta is a great player but he was pulled backwards and fouled and he dived forward. It's pathetic.

Heavy retrospective bans for all. It's a mans game and they act like children. Ban the lot of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rooneys hair > Piques hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

This thread is weird...........

Pepe Reina is overrated.

Brian Kerr was unlucky manager with Ireland.

Hearts fans are just shower of bastards:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Ronaldo is better than Messi:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Current irish players if coached correctly can play as well as any international side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

kryogen wrote: »
    Diego Maradona is one of the all time greats

Is that an unpopular opinion???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Current irish players if coached correctly can play as well as any international side.

that's just ridiculous and ignorant, not unpopular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Football should not be all about passing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement