Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controversial Football Opinions - Mod Note #413

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Tusky wrote: »
    Agreed. Messi needs to sign for Newcastle before he can truly be considered the greatest of all time.

Sweet suffering jaysus. Some of the bollix that gets posted on here would have you in tears if it wasn't so hilarious.

I thanked the post not because I believe he needs to go to somewhere like Newcastle and transform them but because it's something that you wonder what could happen because of it. Could one brilliant player lead a mediocre team to success?

I believe Messi is the greatest player of my time, probably all-time but not having seen great players before him I can't make that call.
    I believe this Barcelona team is the greatest team of my time, probably one of the best of all time.
    But what I'd really like to see happen is Pep Guardiola testing his skills elsewhere, I think he's brilliant, but it'd be interesting all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Gareth Bale will never be truly world class in the shape of a Ronaldo or a Messi. He's a great player but I think he'll stay at that. He'll be in the category below world class
    Messi and Ronaldo are on another level to anything else out there.
    For me they are above world class and there's even a big gap in class between both of them.

I'm not saying Bale is world class but there's nobody else that compares with the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Paully D wrote: »
    Mike Ashley has done an excellent job with Newcastle.

By chance more than anything. He had the club in such an awful state he couldnt even sell it. He bizarrely got rid of Hughton and miraculously it actually worked out well.

The club is doing well in spite of him, not because of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo are on another level to anything else out there.
    For me they are above world class and there's even a big gap in class between both of them.

I'm not saying Bale is world class but there's nobody else that compares with the other 2.

I agree. It's their level of consistency that marks them out. Someone like Rooney or RVP has the ability to do it on a vast number of occasions, but never over the course of each game of every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think Messi would struggle badly to replicate his form/consistency at any other club.

a) he'd find himself without the ball/doing donkey work for alot more of every game.

b) Argentinian NT has shown that he's not the best at adapting to other tactics/systems.

Like Schumacher during his Ferrari days and the argument, how much of it was him and how much of it was the car and the team around him, I think the same rings true about Messi. He'll still go down as arguably the greatest player of all time but my favourite players of all time adapted to different leagues, different teams/systems/teammates and often produced the football of their careers when their team wasnt the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reina is overrated.

Swansea will be in premiership in 3 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Stevie G over-rated as 'World Class'. Goes missing far far too often in games to justify that tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What he said +1

Push it by him and run......my kid is 10 and im telling him it wont work all the time.

the old 'push it by him and run' wont work often if you're Kevin Kilbane but if you have the pace of Walcott and Bale it works often enough!!!

Difference between those 2 is Bale has great delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

the old 'push it by him and run' wont work often if you're Kevin Kilbane but if you have the pace of Walcott and Bale it works often enough!!!

Difference between those 2 is Bale has great delivery.

Also force Bale onto his weaker foot and he's largely ineffective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SantryRed wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that people with the opinion above are retarded. They have no team in the county they live in so they support a team in a different country.

Jaysus man, that Amy thing is a bit old now, I don't know why people get so bitter over traveling over supporting an English team, it's pretty retarded also in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Stevie G over-rated as 'World Class'. Goes missing far far too often in games to justify that tag.

He was 5 years ago.
    Due to injuries and basically Liverpool getting progressively worse, he's been on a downward slope imo.

I applaud his loyalty, but it's sad to think he will retire without ever winning the Premiership. Should have moved on a few years ago.
    It's unfortunate, but I hope RVP does the same.

Pele is becoming more and more bitter with the continuing rise of Messi, and is afraid that he has/will take his title as the greatest ever. Even saying "Neymar is much better than Messi"
    The man drives me mad at this stage, his arrogance and trying to remind people of how good he was and that noone compares to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

England will win the 2012 UEFA European Championship.

I reckon they could easily get knocked out in the groups. France and Ukraine would be my picks in that group. I reckon they'll get beat by France, and draw the other two. In no order, I'd pick France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Croatia and Russia ahead of them to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'd say he inherited a financial calamity waiting to happen and needed to make cutbacks. But he made some horrendous managerial choices. Kinnear? Keegan? Wise as football director? Pardew has proven himself but he only got the job originally because he's from London! It was luck on Ashley's part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SeantheMan wrote: »
    He was 5 years ago.
    Due to injuries and basically Liverpool getting progressively worse, he's been on a downward slope imo.

I applaud his loyalty, but it's sad to think he will retire without ever winning the Premiership. Should have moved on a few years ago.
    It's unfortunate, but I hope RVP does the same.

Pele is becoming more and more bitter with the continuing rise of Messi, and is afraid that he has/will take his title as the greatest ever. Even saying "Neymar is much better than Messi"
    The man drives me mad at this stage, his arrogance and trying to remind people of how good he was and that noone compares to him.

I wouldnt feel too sorry for Gerrard he has won everything else domestically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have very little interest in Ireland for euro 2012. Even if we have a successful stab at it, we are going to be the laughing stock of the competition with our style of play.

That said, this could/will all change the closer the competition gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fergie's skill doesn't lie in tactics or transfers but in his innate 'winnerism'.

He could probably be a brilliant manager in any sport.

He's cruising to league titles with average squads these days simply because of the aura he projects and the amount of teams that go up against Utd feeling they've already lost.

He'll win the title easily with this team in the end but get seriously found out in Europe again.

gosplan wrote: »
    Fergie's skill doesn't lie in tactics or transfers but in his innate 'winnerism'.
    No tactics or transfers, seriously ?
    The players he picks aren't just "flash in the pan" , they develop into world class, his transfers have been brilliant. Of course like any manager he has bad one now and again.
    Valencia, Hernandez,De Gea, Young, Jones, Smalling all in recent years.

He's cruising to league titles with average squads these days simply because of the aura he projects and the amount of teams that go up against Utd feeling they've already lost.
    Cruising to the title is a bit out there, only recently have they overtaken city (who hammered them earlier in the season) , and only cause City have bottled it as of late.
    He'll win the title easily with this team in the end but get seriously found out in Europe again.

Found out in europe "AGAIN", I don't know where you get this from either, I think this is the first season in recent memory that they failed to progress past the group stages of the Champions League.

The thread is "controversial opinions" , yours is more borderline "stupid football opinions" that belong in the back pages of NUTS with all the other crazy pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Blatter wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Michael Carrick should be starting for England, although I'm not sure how controversial that is.

I agree, Carrick should definitely, definitely start every game England play. Without doubt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

This thread is full of the LOL's..........
    The amount of posters who cannot deal with someone else's opinion (controversial though it may be) and then call it retarded is just priceless..:D

Best was the instant reaction to Scholes on Page 1..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow Sean. That's quite possibly the most paranoid response I've ever received on boards.
    No tactics or transfers, seriously?

I never said that. What I was trying to say, if you'd put your rational cap on for a second, is that he doesn't win everything because of his tactics and transfers but because of his mentality and the mentality he instills in his team. That's what sets him apart.

In short, it's a compliment - but I guess if you saw the need to defend his transfer policy, you probably have your own issue with it.
    Cruising to the title is a bit out there, only recently have they overtaken city (who hammered them earlier in the season) , and only cause City have bottled it as of late.

5 points ahead with a far easier run in and only seven games left. Haven't conceded in the last four, 3 really easy games coming up.

Man Utd are in cruise mode.

Found out in europe "AGAIN", I don't know where you get this from either, I think this is the first season in recent memory that they failed to progress past the group stages of the Champions League.

Hmm, you really have a problem with this, don't you.

They were found out this year, so next year they'd be found out again.

Again ... as in ... again you've adopted a standard pro-United stance against a point I wasn't even making.

I'll put it this way which might seem clearer to your paranoid mind ... If Fergie wins the league with this group of players for the second year in a row, I'd say that he's the only manager who could possibly do that and it's down to his attitude and the attitude he instills in his team and his opponents. However, this does not so much translate into European football and if he goes into Europe with the same squad, they will be found out just like they were this year.

I will never ever try to pay Man U any sort of compliment again.

or is it that you either slate them thoroughly or say they're the best at everything ever and then you'll know which half of boards you belong to? Joke of a forum.
    yours is more borderline "stupid football opinions" that belong in the back pages of NUTS with all the other crazy pundits.

And you, my friend, don't even read or think before you post.

If all your posts are like the above then you individually are of no value to a discussion forum. I can get the standard defend/support United line from any one of twenty people on boards.

• Advertisement

Ok,this is a very controversial one but here goes........
    I think that Luis Suarez was behind the attacks on the World Trade Centre.
    He had no match that day and he definitely wasn't at training.
    It all adds up.
    He bit someone before so obviously he has no problem in taking the lives of innocent people.
    He's also a xenophobe so anyone outside Uruguay is at risk from this despot.
    And worst of all he handled a ball that was destined to be a goal and crushed the hopes of a whole nation.
    That to me says it all,absolutely no respect for tall buildings.

Also I think I seen him do an aeroplane celebration this one time.

#Evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Cannot agree. His mistreatment of Keegan was poor and I'd hold him responsible for our relegation in 09. Couldn't even find a buyer then, it turned into quite a farce. Lucky we came back up in the first season otherwise players would have moved on and we'd still be a championship club imo. Selling Carroll, a proven goalscorer, without really replacing him at the time (no one could have forseen Ba's impact) was also a poor move, although it ultimately came out okay. Sacking Hughton was madness too he's been lucky that Pardew has been as good as he is, but I'll have to reserve my judgement on him for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

It all adds up.
    He bit someone before so obviously he has no problem in taking the lives of innocent people.
    And worst of all he handled a ball that was destined to be a goal and crushed the hopes of a whole nation.

#Evil

This might be controversial but was that suppose to be funny?

ASOT wrote: »
    This might be controversial but was that suppose to be funny?
    Nope,I truly believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

darokane wrote: »
    Heysel and Hillsborough were both the fault of liverpool fans
    It's about time a proper investigation into the fans behaviour got underway

i agree, read the comments from the user longreach a witness at Hillsborough in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It all adds up.

#Evil

As a Liverpool supporter I find the above post absolutely disgusting , but could possibly be true .

I myself have noticed some strange things that Mr Suarez has been doing that may make him the prime suspect in many an unsolved case .

#1 His nick name;El Pistolero is a well known code word amongst assassins , particularly assassins that like to snipe their victims by means of rifles from grassy knolls.
    When JFK was shot a witness statement clearly mentions that "El Pistolero two hits confirmed" was shouted by a gentleman into his sleeve , with buck teeth holding a black umbrella from behind a grassy knoll .

#2 Suarez used to be an aspiring journalist in Paris , and could be seen driving around in his white Fiat Uno at speed always looking for the next big story .

#3 His middle name is "Alberto" which is a secret call to arms amongst white extremists .

#4 When he scores a goal he kisses his wrist which is a clear gesture to the Sky/Ozone Layer- calling on the masses to burn more fossil fuels . Luis Suarez is responsible for Global Warming.

#5 "Diaz" his last name roughly translates into "maker of disease" or in certain parts of Uraguay directly translates to "maker of STD's" .
    Suarez used to have sex with Monkeys ...I rest my case .

He is a truly dodgy character but I wouldn't change him for the World :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leiva wrote: »
    As a Liverpool supporter I find the above post absolutely disgusting , but could possibly be true .

I myself have noticed some strange things that Mr Suarez has been doing that may make him the prime suspect in many an unsolved case .

#1 His nick name;El Pistolero is a well known code word amongst assassins , particularly assassins that like to snipe their victims by means of rifles from grassy knolls.
    When JFK was shot a witness statement clearly mentions that "El Pistolero two hits confirmed" was shouted by a gentleman into his sleeve , with buck teeth holding a black umbrella from behind a grassy knoll .

#2 Suarez used to be an aspiring journalist in Paris , and could be seen driving around in his white Fiat Uno at speed always looking for the next big story .

#3 His middle name is "Alberto" which is a secret call to arms amongst white extremists .

#4 When he scores a goal he kisses his wrist which is a clear gesture to the Sky/Ozone Layer- calling on the masses to burn more fossil fuels . Luis Suarez is responsible for Global Warming.

#5 "Diaz" his last name roughly translates into "maker of disease" or in certain parts of Uraguay directly translates to "maker of STD's" .
    Suarez used to have sex with Monkeys ...I rest my case .

He is a truly dodgy character but I wouldn't change him for the World :pac:

You are both trying too hard. Which automatically makes it unfunny.

Heysel and Hillsborough were both the fault of liverpool fans
    It's about time a proper investigation into the fans behaviour got underway

Educate yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

monkey9 wrote: »
    Educate yourself

It still seems a lot of people need to educate themselves, may they should read the offical Taylor report, and not listen to the that rag

• Advertisement

You are both trying too hard. Which automatically makes it unfunny.
    :( I was just trying to fit in by posting a load of old bullshìt,isn't that what everyone else was doing in this thread??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mike Ashley was right all along

I will never ever try to pay Man U any sort of compliment again.

or is it that you either slate them thoroughly or say they're the best at everything ever and then you'll know which half of boards you belong to? Joke of a forum.
    I'm not a man utd fan
    My opinions don't reflect that of most boardsies, so don't view the whole forum as a joke just because you dislike my opinion or the way I phrased it. Apologies if it came over a bit harsh.

David Trezeguet is the most underrated forward in the last 15 years.

David Trezeguet is the most underrated forward in the last 15 years.

As a sidenote, he's actually Argentinian!! He only left for France when he was about 17. He grew up a River Plate fan and is back there now playing for them!!

As a sidenote, he's actually Argentinian!! He only left for France when he was about 17. He grew up a River Plate fan and is back there now playing for them!!

It's not exactly controversial, or a secret.

• Advertisement

It's not exactly controversial, or a secret.

Well, i'm not saying it's controversial. But i only found this out a few months back and couldn't believe it.

As i said, it was just a sidenote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Nasri is ridiculously overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Football, in its current form, is boring and would benefit from some modifications

No goalkeepers, rather the "11th" man cannot handle the ball
    No draws allowed - you play 90 mins and if still level, then its penos
    matches are too long, cut 10 mins off
    Sin bin for shirt pullers
    no offside rule
    ban all sports pundits
    ban live tv, radio only

That will have them back on the terraces! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Sacking your manager EVERY season is the RIGHT thing to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Educate yourself
    It still seems a lot of people need to educate themselves, may they should read the offical Taylor report, and not listen to the that rag

I'm well educated

liverpool fans show up with no tickets and force their way forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

I'm well educated

liverpool fans show up with no tickets and force their way forward

Yeah that was it, thanks for clearing that up.. :rolleyes:

Morricone wrote: »
    Yeah that was it, thanks for clearing that up.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the well versed response, i can see that you are a man of great intellect and wisdom

What are your thoughts on Heysel?

Thanks for the well versed response, i can see that you are a man of great intellect and wisdom

What are your thoughts on Heysel?

So even though the Taylor report concluded that; "the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control." You still believe that ticketless Pool fans were the cause of the disaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Eric Cantona is possibly the most overrated footballer of all time, playing in a very weak Premier League, and was found out on a continuous basis on the European stage. This shouldn't even be a controversial opinion, but the god-like worship of this man means that it is.

So even though the Taylor report concluded that; "the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control." You still believe that ticketless Pool fans were the cause of the disaster?

Ticketless and drunk pool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There were ticketless and drunk fans arriving at every match in that era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Lots of threads here seem to turn to that subject fairly quickish.

There were ticketless and drunk fans arriving at every match in that era

So why was there not more disasters?
    Why were liverpool fans involved in 2 of the biggest disasters football has ever seen?

No they weren't.
    Witness estimates of the number of fans who were drunk varied from a minority to a large proportion of the crowd. Although it was clear that many fans had been drinking, Lord Taylor unequivocally stated that most of them were: "not drunk, nor even the worse for drink". He concluded that they only formed an exacerbating factor.

The possibility of fans attempting to gain entry without tickets or with forgeries contributing to the disaster was also suggested. South Yorkshire Police also suggested that the late arrival of fans amounted to a conspiracy in order to gain entry without tickets. However, analysis of the electronic monitoring system, Health and Safety Executive analysis and eyewitness accounts showed that the total number of people who had already entered the Leppings Lane End was far below the capacity of the stand. Additionally, eye witness reports suggested that tickets were easily available on the day of the game, and that tickets for the Leppings Lane End were still on sale from Anfield until the day before the game. The report dismissed the conspiracy theory.

Just stop it will you. You really haven't a clue and you cheapen life by talking the way you do. 96 people DIED that day. Go away and have a think about that.

No they weren't.

Just stop it will you. You really haven't a clue and you cheapen life by talking the way you do. 96 people DIED that day. Go away and have a think about that.

I know they did, Because of moronic fans

• Advertisement
Advertisement