Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controversial Football Opinions - Mod Note #413

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Andrea Pirlo should have won Player of the Tournament for the 2006 World Cup and The 2006 Ballon d'Or. Cannavaro Was pretty **** with Juventus that that season and not much better with Real Madrid the season after.

Daniele De Rossi needs to leave Roma.

Eric Cantona is criminally over rated by English football fans.
    He was a big fish in a small pond and when compared to other Attacking Midfielders of his generation he falls short. The English League was pretty **** at the time, probably the 5th best in Europe behind Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

Pep Guardiola wasn't all that good as a player.
    Once he left Barca he was ****, beyond **** really, and was caught using Nandrolone, which seemed to do nothing for him because he was lazy, slow, over weight most of the time and couldn't pick a pass more than 20 yards off either foot.

Arsen Wenger needs to leave Arsenal, not because he is doing a bad Job, but because he is doing the best job he possibly could given the odds against him.
    He cannot compete financially with the others around him and if he ever wins another league with Arsenal it will be nothing short of a miracle. He will probably lose his best player this summer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kirby wrote: »
    And I said was that those tragedies get alot less coverage. Which is true. And it's wrong.

Yeah, like to the "starvin' marvins" that you so eloquently referred to in your original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Seaneh wrote: »
    Andrea Pirlo should have won Player of the Tournament for the 2006 World Cup and The 2006 Ballon d'Or. Cannavaro Was pretty **** with Juventus that that season and not much better with Real Madrid the season after.

Daniele De Rossi needs to leave Roma.

Eric Cantona is criminally over rated by English football fans.
    He was a big fish in a small pan and when compared to other Attacking Midfielders of his generation he falls short. The English League was pretty **** at the time, probably the 5th best in Europe behind Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

Pep Guardiola wasn't all that good as a player.
    Once he left Barca he was ****, beyond **** really, and was caught using Nandrolone, which seemed to do nothing for him because he was lazy, slow, over weight most of the time and couldn't pick a pass more than 20 yards off either foot.

Arsen Wenger needs to leave Arsenal, not because he is doing a bad Job, but because he is doing the best job he possibly could given the odds against him.
    He cannot compete financially with the others around him and if he ever wins another league with Arsenal it will be nothing short of a miracle. He will probably lose his best player this summer as well.

I agree about Cantona - its all well and good doing it in a domestic league but the real quality shines on a European level.

Disagree about Pep - he was a brilliant player and was practically semi-retired when he moved to Italy. He was Busquets without the histrionics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cannot for the life of me understand why people want to pointscore on tragic disasters. Idiocy.

The majority of human beings take this thread on lighthearted fashion and call a player crap or something, but unfortunately you get a few pure and utter creeps who want to rile people up about the tragic deaths of 96 people. Mank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tusky wrote: »
    Agreed. Messi needs to sign for Newcastle before he can truly be considered the greatest of all time.

He'll not get a look in. Ben Arfa would be way above him in the pecking order followed by Obertan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

international football is ****é

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Morricone wrote: »
    Until he does that I will always have a slight doubt in the back of my mind. If he woke a sleeping giant like Newcastle, Atletico Madrid, Roma or Lazio and brought them to league and European glory he would absolutely cement his reputation as the greatest of all time, unquestionably.
    Warper wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson has never managed outside Britain. If he doesnt win a league title in another European country, then he will never be considered great. Only if he moved to Getafe or Catania and then won major trophies would i consider him to be a world class manager ala Mourinho.

49bx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

stankratz wrote: »
    Yeah man, you're 100% on the ball with that one...

Great!

Now have you got much footage of him dancing around a couple of players when his team weren't actually already 4-0 up like the were there - or some other day when the game wasn't actually already won?

By the way....here's all the goals of the season since the premier league began. None by Cantona. But my question is, should all these players get the title "King" before their names too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

CSF wrote: »
    Cannot for the life of me understand why people want to pointscore on tragic disasters. Idiocy.

The majority of human beings take this thread on lighthearted fashion and call a player crap or something, but unfortunately you get a few pure and utter creeps who want to rile people up about the tragic deaths of 96 people. Mank.

Agree. It's up to Liverpool football club and it's supporters to remember that in whatever way they see fit for as long as they see fit.

As regards blaming fans, crushes and seas of supporters tightly packed in we're fairly commonplace at the time afaik. Not sure what was different that day but I doubt it was the fans. Sure, if they had all formed an orderly line, everything would have been fine but that didn't happen anywhere at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Wes Hoolahan has the most technical ability of any Irish player over the last 10+ years. Yet he has only played one game for his country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This forum really has lost the run of itself.

What the ****-this is meant to be a lighthearted thread & instead it's full of ****ing bile.

I always thought there was a 'don't be a dick' rule for a purpose. Apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

chips1234 wrote: »
    international football is ****é..... only when Ireland play

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I believe a small number of United's league title wins (especially in the mid to late 90's) are tainted due to the overwhelming help they recieved from officials, especially at Old Trafford. One or two seasons their margin of victory was only a couple of points that were garnered by some very questionable decisions. 99 sticks in my mind.

UEFA and FIFA should be disbanded and a new organisation set up. They are an embarrassment to football and run by dinosaurs.

Also, shepherding the ball out of play should be a foul. Its obstruction, and would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Not sure if thats controversial though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

That to be considered the best player ever, you need to win a world cup.

gosplan wrote: »
    Agree. It's up to Liverpool football club and it's supporters to remember that in whatever way they see fit for as long as they see fit.

As regards blaming fans, crushes and seas of supporters tightly packed in we're fairly commonplace at the time afaik. Not sure what was different that day but I doubt it was the fans. Sure, if they had all formed an orderly line, everything would have been fine but that didn't happen anywhere at the time.

Read the Taylor report and you'll find out everything you want to, and who exactly was to blame.

So should the other tabloid lovers(not you btw) on here spouting shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Not really controversial but there's a lack of accountability among players for poor results and media, fans and chairmen/MDs focus their ire far too often at the manager rather than the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gosplan wrote: »

I dunno maybe having a police superintendent in change of a major sporting event just 2 weeks into his job did not help either.

88 semi final went off ok the year before between both sides at the same venue.

But in 81 Spurs fans nearly suffered the same fate as liverpool fans at the same end due to crushing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

darokane wrote: »
    Ticketless and drunk pool fans

There are no words to describe this idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

keano_afc wrote: »
    99 sticks in my mind.

which decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Richard Dunne is pants. The odd last ditch blocked shot masks his poor performances.

LOI referees are corrupt.

Robbie Keane isnt loved by the Irish public because of his personality.

Jock Stein and Celtic fc did not report Jim Torbett to the police despite knowing what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wearing a football jersey with a player's name on it should be reserved for children under the age of 10. And football players whose names are the ones on their jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LOI referees are corrupt.

They're too stupid to be corrupt. They just suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm well educated

liverpool fans show up with no tickets and force their way forward
    fryup wrote: »
    i agree, read the comments from the user longreach a witness at Hillsborough in this thread

Im afraid neither of you are educated when it comes to the Hillsborough Disaster .

I urge you to take the few minutes to read this .

Then see the rushed excuses and political pressures the police got put under to cover it up for the disaster and crowd control travisity that it was .

Then see the other hard evidence and previous serious incidents to back up the reports that the Hillsborough Disaster was an accident waiting to happen.

Every club should count themselves lucky that they didnt progress in the FA Cup semi and find themselves playing at the death trap and ticking time bomb that was Hillsborough Football Stadium .

Then please come back on here and back up your previous claims , or we can setup a thread to debate it ,and not clutter up this one .
    Cause if you truly believe that it was "drunking ticketless Liverpool supporters" that caused the tragedy you will have no problem in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Melion wrote: »
    There are no words to describe this idiocy

It's an opinion, If you don't like it don't bother answering

Your opinion is wrong.

The earth being flat is an 'opinion', doesn't mean it shouldn't be pointed out what a ****ing idiot I am if I actually believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ticketless and drunk pool fans

That is utterly disgraceful.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong.

The earth being flat is an 'opinion', doesn't mean it shouldn't be pointed out what a ****ing idiot I am if I actually believe that.

What a response, idiocracy at its finest.

Anyone any thoughts on Heysel? Also liverpool fans fault.

Do you want to back up or explain your opinions like I suggested in my last post ?

Cause if your not then be carful cause it may come across that you are trolling or on a WUM fest .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

You must be a dreadful person. Utterly dreadful.

Leiva wrote: »
    Im afraid neither of you are educated when it comes to the Hillsborough Disaster .

I urge you to take the few minutes to read this .

Then see the rushed excuses and political pressures the police got put under to cover it up for the disaster and crowd control travisity that it was .

Then see the other hard evidence and previous serious incidents to back up the reports that the Hillsborough Disaster was an accident waiting to happen.

Every club should count themselves lucky that they didnt progress in the FA Cup semi and find themselves playing at the death trap and ticking time bomb that was Hillsborough Football Stadium .

Then please come back on here and back up your previous claims , or we can setup a thread to debate it ,and not clutter up this one .
    Cause if you truly believe that it was "drunking ticketless Liverpool supporters" that caused the tragedy you will have no problem in doing so.
    great post nuts, but I would urge all pool fans to just ignore these guys, they're either looking for a reaction or they are just retarded.

• Advertisement

Heysel was largely Liverpool fans fault. No argument. A appalling day in the history of football. Thankfully many of the people responsible for the deaths were apprehended & sent to prison. I'm not sure why that became relevant all of a sudden when we were discussing Hillsborough?

Care to explain why your causes of Hillsborough are not the same as the Taylor Enquiry & Report? What has you better placed to determine where the blame lies for that tragedy?

Leiva wrote: »
    Do you want to back up or explain your opinions like I suggested in my last post ?

Cause if your not then be carful cause it may come across that you are trolling or on a WUM fest .

It seems to me that a lot of fans don't actually know about Heysel, No one seems to mention it, Is there a reason
    And no i'm not trolling, These are my opinions and this is after studying both disasters
    And no i will not read your links of eyewitness accounts which would be biased and misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have a few

Smalling should be ahead of Terry for England, or whoever else they want to make for him to play centre back

Carrick should be starting in the England midfield in the Euros

Lucas is a top midfielder

MON is not a great manager, he does more harm then good long term

Fergie lets his stubborness affect his judgement in certain matters which harms the club

Suarez has been a poor buy overall

Carroll is unfairly treated by KD

Mike Phelan is pants

Aaron Ramsey will never be great player

Messi is not the angel he is made out to be

Barcelona are one of the biggest teams of cheats in the recent history of the game, I do like Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and a couple others however

Guardiola is not a great coach, maybe if he does the job elsewhere I will change my mind but to be perfectly honest I could go manage that Barca team to trophies.

Oh another one, Barcelona games are boring in general.

Neymar will never become the next Ronaldo, he will never reach the heights people expect should I say.

Mario Gomez isnt a good footballer

Liverpool are a mid table team, big team only in name these days

Alex Mcleish is a **** manager

Roy Keane was the best midfielder in England in the last 20 years, not Scholes (he was the best English though :))

Thats enough for now

And no i will not read your links of eyewitness accounts which would be biased and misleading.

That's a retarded point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

'Carrick should be starting in the England midfield in the Euros' - I'd disagree, I don't think Carrick's strong enough under pressure to cope against European pressing. Pity, as his other qualities are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Chelsea WILL beat Barca AND the winner of the other semi and LIFT THE EUROPEAN CUP! :D

Retard in having retarded point of view shocker.

That's your opinion

Im done with this .

Have a great long weekend everyone .(even you darokane- god knows you need some happiness )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Who in the name of jaysus thought this thread was a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eldwaro wrote: »

there were no mods online today

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Retard in having retarded point of view shocker.

Did i personally insult you?

G.K. wrote: »
    'Carrick should be starting in the England midfield in the Euros' - I'd disagree, I don't think Carrick's strong enough under pressure to cope against European pressing. Pity, as his other qualities are excellent.

No necessarily a problem if it is a 3 man midfield, not a problem at all there in fact, and in all honesty, you do tend to get a bit more breathing space against most of the European nations then you would against say, a South American energiser bunny national team

eldwaro wrote: »

The thread itself could have been fun and a bit of banter if people abided by the dont be a dick rule :)

I find Barcelona a little boring to watch.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    No necessarily a problem if it is a 3 man midfield, not a problem at all there in fact, and in all honesty, you do tend to get a bit more breathing space against most of the European nations then you would against say, a South American energiser bunny national team

True, but for England I'd not want a 3 man midfield. 4-2-3-1 with Rooney in the trequartista role.

True, but for England I'd not want a 3 man midfield. 4-2-3-1 with Rooney in the trequartista role.

Id have Carrick as one of the 2 though :)

Parker - Wilshere/Cleverly for me.

Parker - Wilshere/Cleverly for me.

Wilshire wont be fit sure, and Clev has not done enough to warrant selection imo, hasnt been fit long enough to prove his credentials.

Parker I have no issue with, but would like to see Carrick alongside him.

Parker----Carrick
    x
    Rooney
    x
    x

If Wilshire was fit Id have him myself

kryogen wrote: »
    Wilshire wont be fit sure, and Clev has not done enough to warrant selection imo, hasnt been fit long enough to prove his credentials.

Parker I have no issue with, but would like to see Carrick alongside him.

Parker----Carrick
    x
    Rooney
    x
    x

If Wilshire was fit Id have him myself

I'd just let Rooney do what he wants, playing off a striker. Parker and Gerrard will probably get the nod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement