Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controversial Football Opinions - Mod Note #413

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Paul scholes was/is a dirty player. I heard the excuse that "he cant tackle". But no, he knows exactly what hes doing, he has a bit of a temper, excellent player though.

I hate Ramos and Pepe, two horrible dirty players.

Iniesta is the best player in the world still playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

kryogen wrote: »
    Mike Phelan is pants

Thats enough for now

If "is pants" means wears shorts like a wild stallion wears his unbridled masculinity, then I agree.

Seriously though, I've heard this a few times and can never understand why people think this. It's probably because he looks a bit like a barman or your ex-girlfriend's dad but I have never really heard of any reasons why he would be ****. Has anyone ever provided any backup for this claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

inmyday wrote: »
    Paul scholes was/is a dirty player. I heard the excuse that "he cant tackle". But no, he knows exactly what hes doing, he has a bit of a temper, excellent player though.

I hate Ramos and Pepe, two horrible dirty players.

Iniesta is the best player in the world still playing.

He is a dirty player but he is also an appalling tackler. Both statements would be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people are influenced too easily by sky sports and slow motion replays.

also, the hand ball rule is the biggest joke in football. 99% of hand ball panalties are accidental and should not be given. the rule should be changed to give a free kick for accidental hand ball and a penalty only for deliberate ones.

I find Barcelona a little boring to watch.

You find watching the some of the best players in the world playing boring????? I think it may be the sometimes the opposition that barcelona are playing that are boring as they may park the bus, so all barca can do is keep possession and try to break them down.

What team is not boring/exciting to watch this season? Just curious to hear your opinion on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

people are influenced too easily by sky sports and slow motion replays.

also, the hand ball rule is the biggest joke in football. 99% of hand ball panalties are accidental and should not be given. the rule should be changed to give a free kick for accidental hand ball and a penalty only for deliberate ones.

What if its accidentally handled on the line, about to enter the goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In fairness, the thread of this type on the Music forum works well. Until someone insults Oasis, that is. Then shít goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

I myself tend to find Barcelona boring to watch, it's due to the lack of competitiveness from the other team really, or the fact the can't compete! It's just Barca with the ball. I love watching a game go from end to end as a neutral but watching Barca now is just not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You find watching the some of the best players in the world playing boring????? I think it may be the sometimes the opposition that barcelona are playing that are boring as they may park the bus, so all barca can do is keep possession and try to break them down.

What team is not boring/exciting to watch this season? Just curious to hear your opinion on this.

Real Madrid have been much better to watch, imo.

I find them slightly boring to watch because they are literally too good. I'd rather watch a genuine contest between two well matched teams.

There is an inevitability about the outcome of almost all their games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I was just thinking that but maybe have a designated position for the free kick like a few yards outside the box.

Handball is getting progressively ridiculous the more the years go on.
    You nearly have to catch it in both hands for some referees to give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If "is pants" means wears shorts like a wild stallion wears his unbridled masculinity, then I agree.

Seriously though, I've heard this a few times and can never understand why people think this. It's probably because he looks a bit like a barman or your ex-girlfriend's dad but I have never really heard of any reasons why he would be ****. Has anyone ever provided any backup for this claim?

Yep

But im ****ed if im going to get into a serious discussion in this thread!

Personally I find training matches fairly boring also, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass etc is just not exciting to me, two teams who are able to attack each other are far more interesting to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I secretly found it funny when the Dutch clogged the Spanish out of it in the World Cup final. And I found the wounded moralising of the Barca/Spain fanboys even more funny.

After reading some of the planet-threatening smugness emissions from various Spanish players, I'd want to boot them off the pitch too.

Referees opinion.

So if the ball struck a players hand(not a goalkeeper to be clear). It has to be a deliberate in the refs opinion. If the ref determines it as accidentally then it is no foul and play on.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I was just thinking that but maybe have a designated position for the free kick like a few yards outside the box.

Handball is getting progressively ridiculous the more the years go on.
    You nearly have to catch it in both hands for some referees to give it.

What about making all handballs indirect free kicks regardless? Deliberate yellow, goal bound clearance red and penalty.

With that in mind, offside is offside, interfering with play or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

baz2009 wrote: »

They're far better to watch, and get the results to match it. I'd pick a 5-2 game with fast counter-attacking mixed with hilarious defending, over a 6-0 full of 10 yard passes between midfield and keeper, every time.
    I find them slightly boring to watch because they are literally too good. I'd rather watch a genuine contest between two well matched teams.

Real are an example of a team being far too good against most teams, yet still having exciting games. The constant threat of someone shooting from distance, direct free kicks and Sergio Ramos being sent off, are all absent from barca games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Shane.C wrote: »
    I myself tend to find Barcelona boring to watch, it's due to the lack of competitiveness from the other team really, or the fact the can't compete! It's just Barca with the ball. I love watching a game go from end to end as a neutral but watching Barca now is just not fun.

Totally agree - all that pass pass pass nonsense

thats why England will never win the world cup cos england teams and supporters have no patience for it and only want 90 miles an hour "premier" football

I see your point, but too good this season???? They have been behind Real Madrid most of the season and Real should win the league unless they really mess up. Many teams have shown barca not to be invincible this year. It can be done.

But also, how come I havent heard the same said about Madrid this year, they must be boring, as they are flying, and theyre goal difference is crazy (more than 3 goals a game in the league), they are the ones who are too good???

• Advertisement

CR 7 wrote: »
    They're far better to watch, and get the results to match it. I'd pick a 5-2 game with fast counter-attacking mixed with hilarious defending, over a 6-0 full of 10 yard passes between midfield and keeper, every time.

Real are an example of a team being far too good against most teams, yet still having exciting games. The constant threat of someone shooting from distance, direct free kicks and Sergio Ramos being sent off, are all absent from barca games.

There is now a growing inevitability about all their games also. In a straight choice between watching Real or Barca it'd be Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't know how people don't enjoy watching Barca play, it's like watching a team pick a lock, football in it's purest form. They always stick to their principles as well. Going back to the '09 semi 2nd leg vs Chelsea, they were away from home, on the verge of being knocked out, down to 10 men, and what do they do? Pass the ball up the field and wait for an opening.
    Much better than the hoofball shíte we're exposed to every weekend in the PL. Much more finesse involved than hoofing the ball long, 2-5 passes, maybe some nice interplay if your lucky and then a shot or a cross.

THFC wrote: »
    Don't know how people don't enjoy watching Barca play, it's like watching a team pick a lock, football in it's purest form. They always stick to their principles as well. Going back to the '09 semi 2nd leg vs Chelsea, they were away from home, on the verge of being knocked out, down to 10 men, and what do they do? Pass the ball up the field and wait for an opening.
    Much better than the hoofball shíte we're exposed to every weekend in the PL. Much more finesse involved than hoofing the ball long, 2-5 passes, maybe some nice interplay if your lucky and then a shot or a cross.

I think its a very sweeping generalisation to suggest that's all the Premier league has to offer. We can watch Swansea dispel that myth now.

I think its a very sweeping generalisation to suggest that's all the Premier league has to offer. We can watch Swansea dispel that myth now.
    Swansea and that's it. See how many times a team string 10 consecutive passes together in the opposition half.

baz2009 wrote: »

I think both Madrid and barca are both excellent to watch. I just dont understand why people say its because barca are too good, when the same can be said about madrid but no one says it about them.

I actually like the 10 yard passes, and see them hold onto the ball, its impressive to watch when they keep it for over a minute playing Rondo Rondo against the opposition waiting for a killer ball...

I find it boring with long balls, like the kind rio ferdinand does for utd, he loves launching it.... But also I hate when watching someone launch a ball 70metres and the ball ends up for a goal kick, it happens so much, wasteful possession.

Don't know how people don't enjoy watching Barca play, it's like watching a team pick a lock,

Like watching a training match most of the time tbh
    football in it's purest form.

Most irritating thing Barcelona fans say :)
    They always stick to their principles as well.
    As in if things arent going well they dive, cheat and try to gain advantage in any way they can?
    Going back to the '09 semi 2nd leg vs Chelsea, they were away from home, on the verge of being knocked out, down to 10 men, and what do they do? Pass the ball up the field and wait for an opening.

But for some shocking refereeing they would have been out that night.

Not all PL teams are like that, and if you dont like to watch the EPL, dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

There's more than one way to play football... just some are easier on the eye than others

Swansea and that's it. See how many times a team string 10 consecutive passes together in the opposition half.

Out of interest did you happen to catch Uniteds second goal v Blackburn the other night? Thing of beauty

Personally I find training matches fairly boring also, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass etc is just not exciting to me, two teams who are able to attack each other are far more interesting to watch

Like Milan and barcalona?
    I thought the two legs were very good to watch, Barca didnt have it all theyre own way. Well maybe until iniesta scored, then it kinda was over.

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    There's more than one way to play football... just some are easier on the eye than others

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

The current united team is one of the worst in the last 20 years. The fact they are going to win the premiership is indicative of the declining standard of the league. The influx of money by Russian criminals and Arab billionaires at first was exciting but has now destroyed the league. We're getting to the stage were the top teams will consist entirely of spoiled, overpaid, overrated players, who consistently under perform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    The current united team is one of the worst in the last 20 years. The fact they are going to win the premiership is indicative of the declining standard of the league. The influx of money by Russian criminals and Arab billionaires at first was exciting but has now destroyed the league. We're getting to the stage were the top teams will consist entirely of spoiled, overpaid, overrated players, who consistently under perform.

I don't agree, this United team is custom built to win the Premier League. Not the German, Spanish or Italian where they wouldn't be technically good enough, but the English league where they are mechanical in the effecincy at grinding out results.

They have perfected beating the lower 12-13 sides home and away which means that they're results vs top 7-8 aren't that important. Vs bottom 12 sidews they have drawn 1 game this year, 1. That is how they win leagues.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

Bull****

Like watching a training match most of the time tbh
    Id like to see the training matches you're watching:eek:. The constant pressure both when in possesion and out of possesion is fascinating. They're doing something which hasn't been done certainly since I have started watching football. Funny thing is about 20/30 years down the line people will be saying how great this Barca team was, the same way poeple talk of the Brazil '70 team that were lucky enough to have seen them.

Most irritating thing Barcelona fans say :)
    Why is it irritating? It's pure football, everthing about their play is about using technical ability to win, it's refreshing to see a team playing keep ball even when they are chasing a game. And I'm not a Barca fan, more of an admirer. I watch, and like, them for their football. If Arsenal start playing like them in a few years than I'll be watching them weekly.
    As in if things arent going well they dive, cheat and try to gain advantage in any way they can?
    Do you watch Barca at all? They are guilty of this I admit, but it's nearly always against Real or a team that are trying to kick lumps out of them. I don't see how a person can label diving as disgraceful/cheating/etc. yet call a late, studs up tackle combined with intentional blocking off and constant shirt pulling, mixed in with target practice on Messi & Iniesta's legs fair, hard play. Double standards tbph.

But for some shocking refereeing they would have been out that night.
    Ah now, you can't say that for sure;) Who knows what might have happened. I recall a certain Ivorian striker diving a number of time before Abidal was sent off. I wonder what would have happened had he been given 2 deserved yellows that night?

Not all PL teams are like that, and if you dont like to watch the EPL, dont.
    I know, and I don't unless it has a direct impact on Spurs' CL pursuit or the promise of a good game.

Out of interest did you happen to catch Uniteds second goal v Blackburn the other night? Thing of beauty
    I didn't. Had no interest in the game (see previous posts), but that is obviously an exception. Honestly, how was the standard of play from both teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I find the majority of premier league football boring.
    I cant see myself ever going to a league of ireland game because of the attitude of some LoI fans towards people who follow foreign clubs.
    thats it for now... il put a bit of taught into it and think of more later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Don't know how people don't enjoy watching Barca play, it's like watching a team pick a lock, football in it's purest form.

I have to say, watching Inter Milan's defensive stand against them at the Nou Camp in the Champions League semi-final of 2010 was of the most enjoyable performances I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I find the majority of premier league football boring.
    I cant see myself ever going to a league of ireland game because of the attitude of some LoI fans towards people who follow foreign clubs.
    thats it for now... il put a bit of taught into it and think of more later

That's a stupid reason not to go to a football match and to be honest, sounds more like an excuse. I agree that the attitiude can be ridiculous, but just get yourself to a match and see how you get on!

That to be considered a real football fan you need to attend games regularly, is bull****.

Paully D wrote: »
    I have to say, watching Inter Milan's defensive stand against them at the Nou Camp in the Champions League semi-final of 2010 was of the most enjoyable performances I can remember.

I agree. Pure defence, when done right, can be great to watch when there's attacking trying to break it down!

Stoke City entertain me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That to be considered a real football fan you need to attend games regularly, is bull****.
    No it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's another:

I'm sick of the everyone **** over Swansea this season.

Don't get me wrong, they've done really well, but for Christ sake, comparing them to Barcelona is ****ing ridiculous. The reason they have so much possession is because, for the most part, they keep passing the ball backwards in their own half. Their tactic over the last while has been more attempting to bore the opposition into submission than anything else.

Look at them against Newcastle today. They've probably had 80% possession but yet haven't created one decent chance. Teams have started pressing them much higher up the pitch now too and their struggling to cope with it.

They've done well but some people have gone way too far over the top.

CSF wrote: »
    No it isn't.

I'm a real Smiths fan, I don't go to see them regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Here's another:

Don't get me wrong, they've done really well, but for Christ sake, comparing them to Barcelona is ****ing ridiculous. The reason they have so much possession is because, for the most part, they keep passing the ball backwards in their own half. Their tactic over the last while has been more attempting to bore the opposition into submission than anything else.

Look at them against Newcastle today. They've probably had 80% possession but yet haven't created one decent chance. Teams have started pressing them much higher up the pitch now too and their struggling to cope with it.

For god sake, you do realise that people are just comparing them to Barcelona in style of play, not for quality etc. They reason they have so much possession is because theyre a good footballing team, are you only basing that on today? where Newcastle smash and grab a goal and then sit back and crowd out Swansea, for probably the rest of the game.

Here's another:

I think people are praising their approach as much as the actual effectiveness of it.

Here's another:

Yeah I agree with this. Even watching them last week (against Spurs) I couldn't believe how often they played it around the back, especially considering how often they kept losing the ball in dangerous places. Having said all that I still rather watch them than the majority of PL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's not Barcelona's fault that people find them boring to watch, it's the oppositions. The majority of teams don't bother trying to attack so Barca don't force the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No it isn't.

I'm a real Smiths fan, I don't go to see them regularly.
    Completely different, but you knew that already.

Completely different, but you knew that already.

Plus The Smiths aren't around anymore so you can't go and see them regularly.

The Sporting Fingal of the music world, if you will!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Agree with Paully D there sick of all this Swansea talk . Norwich have the Same amount of points and no one goes on about them .

Advertisement