Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controversial Football Opinions - Mod Note #413

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Agree with Paully D there sick of all this Swansea talk . Norwich have the Same amount of points and no one goes on about them .
    They do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Agree with Paully D there sick of all this Swansea talk . Norwich have the Same amount of points and no one goes on about them .

Lambert deserves a hell of a lot more credit. He is a very good tactician and can't wait to see what he does with a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

CSF wrote: »
    Completely different, but you knew that already.

Its not so different, it's perfectly plausible to be a fan of something without seeing it in the flesh regularly.

(Women for example!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

- Barcelona bore me.

- The Champions League is a snore fest.

- I agree with everything posted about Cantona being overrated because he was/is.

- The excuse that Celtic are an Irish club does not cut it when used as the reason for supporting them.

- A long range effort that hits the underside of the bar and bounces out is more exciting for me than most types of goals scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Xavi6 wrote: »
    - Barcelona bore me.

- The Champions League is a snore fest.

- I agree with everything posted about Cantona being overrated because he was/is.

- The excuse that Celtic are an Irish club does not cut it when used as the reason for supporting them.

- A long range effort that hits the underside of the bar and bounces out is more exciting for me than most types of goals scored.
    Agree with the last one.
    A Yeboah special combines the best of both. :)

• Advertisement

Completely different, but you knew that already.

Its not so different, it's perfectly plausible to be a fan of something without seeing it in the flesh regularly.

(Women for example!)
    Saying 'I'm a fan of the oul beer' or 'I'm Westlife's biggest fan' is not an invalid statement but very different context to being a 'real football fan' as you've dubbed it.

Football support is completely different to ANYTHING non-sport related and is even like chalk and cheese to most sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Saying 'I'm a fan of the oul beer' or 'I'm Westlife's biggest fan' is not an invalid statement but very different context to being a 'real football fan' as you've dubbed it.

Football support is completely different to ANYTHING non-sport related and is even like chalk and cheese to most sports.

No its not. Its a form of entertainment. Whether its watching it or playing it.

No its not. Its a form of entertainment. Whether its watching it or playing it.
    Well if you think this then it comes as no surprise that you don't understand what being a 'real football fan' is.

Football supporters existed long before football on television did. I missed the memo that announced the changes to what being a fan was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The ****e that Rodgers comes out with is hilarious. After the game against Sunderland (they lost 2-0, had about 99% of the possession in their own half as usual) and in the post-match interview said ''it was great for the people of Sunderland to be able to see Swansea today'' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I go on about them! I love Grant Holt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I find counter-attacking football boring.

I find counter-attacking football boring.

You find a counter attack boring?

Or teams that set up to draw teams on to them to attempt a counter attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    I go on about them! I love Grant Holt!

Grant Holt is brilliant!! :D That's the bloke we should have paid 35m quid for!

Ah lads, what's with all the Swansea hate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    The ****e that Rodgers comes out with is hilarious. After the game against Sunderland (they lost 2-0, had about 99% of the possession in their own half as usual) and in the post-match interview said ''it was great for the people of Sunderland to be able to see Swansea today'' :pac:

Ah the root of all your hate has now been revealed :pac:

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah the root of all your hate has now been revealed :pac:

Not at all :pac:

Guarantee he mentions the possession stats in his post-match interview without mentioning how ineffective they've been once they've crossed the halfway line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

You find a counter attack boring?

Or teams that set up to draw teams on to them to attempt a counter attack?

I think boring might be the wrong word, I just don't, I guess, appreciate that aspect of the game.

I can understand why people like it though, fast paced - hit them on the break, all that. But for me its all over too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love a good counter attack. The one Ronaldo scored against Arsenal in the CL a few seasons ago was amazeballs.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I love a good counter attack. The one Ronaldo scored against Arsenal in the CL a few seasons ago was amazeballs.

That goal was sheer quality! Even i was applauding!!

John Terry is a Manchester United fan.

Howard Webb is a very poor referee.

Pierluigi Collina was also not actually that good on a domestic level, loads of stupid decisions.

Ian Harte could probably still do a job for Ireland.

Michael Essien is now past his best due to his injuries, unfortunately.

Frank Lampard is a pox box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

darokane wrote: »
    I know they did, Because of moronic fans

if you want to witness moronic 'fans' this thread has descened into a moronfest

if you want to witness moronic 'fans' this thread has descened into a moronfest

Ah no, it descended for a while, I think it has recovered not too badly though

baz2009 wrote: »

You should support Sunderland then, cracking counter attack goals every week under O'Neill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The heysel, hillsborough and Munich disasters should not be discussed on boards if used as a baton to beat Liverpool or united fans with. People have died ffs.

Some opinions should be kept to yourself.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Giovanni Dos Santos is a good player

Yep, would love to see him togging out for Waterford United :)

Doesnt seem to suit the English game/Harry, does well for Mexico though doesnt he

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Dejan Savicevic was the most gifted European player since Cruyff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

David Moyes. Right, he's a brilliant manager no doubt about it but I think he gets off quite lightly in the media.

If any other manager had sold Yakubu, Beckford, Saha without a replacement at the time they'd be slated.

Yes they brought in Jelavic who looks a tidy signing but getting rid of players who are scoring goals for fun with other teams shouldn't be overlooked in my opinion.

That_Guy wrote: »
    David Moyes. Right, he's a brilliant manager no doubt about it but I think he gets off quite lightly in the media.

If any other manager had sold Yakubu, Beckford, Saha without a replacement at the time they'd be slated.

Yes they brought in Jelavic who looks a tidy signing but getting rid of players who are scoring goals for fun with other teams shouldn't be overlooked in my opinion.

No money sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

That_Guy wrote: »

Moyes is a poor manager, what has he won?

Moyes is a poor manager, what has he won?

Munster Cup in 67

Munster Cup in 67

My opinion of him has now changed:p

David Moyes has spent decent money despite what the media will tell you.

I agree with That_Guy (:eek:) on Moyes.

Moyes really hasnt spent much money tbh. Compared to those around them.

The club is very poorly funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

if man utd win the prem this season they would be the worst side to have ever won the prem or old first division

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Morzadec wrote: »
    I know it isn't but how many times do you see them blown up? I think it needs to be cleared up. Most people aren't even aware that it's not a foul. I play in a 5-a-side league without a ref and captains have to come together to make a decision. We had a controversial one recently when the ball was going towards the goal and hit the limp hand of one of our players, hand down by his side. It was 100% not deliberate and his hand was not in a reckless position, it was in a completely natural position, limp down by his sides.

Most of the onlookers said it was a penalty.

This is a definite issue even if the rules are clear. How many times do you see a penalty given for a handball that looks very accidental?

Why does Ivanovic put his hands behind his back defending this goal if he was 100% sure that he wouldn't be punished for any accidental handball that might occur?

http://watchhighlightsonline.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/video-chicharito-javier-hernandez-goal.html

Also, going back to my earlier example in the 5-a-side game, while I thought the penalty was harsh on us, no penalty would have been harsh on them also. Their header was going towards goal and on target. Difficult to say if it would have gone in, but the ball was impeded, however accidentally, by the an illegal part of the body. It's harsh on them to get nothing. it's harsh on is to give them an almost guaranteed goal. that's why I'd like to see free-kicks given for these incidents.

You and GK do not know the handball rule. It says nothing about "ball to hand" or "deliberate".

shamrock55 wrote: »
    if man utd win the prem this season they would be the worst side to have ever won the prem or old first division

:rolleyes:
    That's why it looks like they'll win it with a record points total

That opinion is just wrong. Cant do much else with it man sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You must be very old?

:rolleyes:
    That's why it looks like they'll win it with a record points total

what i mean is worst side on paper man for man they are a poor side with average enough players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

You and GK do not know the handball rule. It says nothing about "ball to hand" or "deliberate".

Yes it does.
    Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

They're certainly not the best team ever looking at their performances in other competitions, but the fact that they have a huge points total already just tells me that the overall quality in the premier league has somewhat declined. So while the squad is slightly inferior to some previous championship winning sides it's not shíte by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

what i mean is worst side on paper man for man they are a poor side with average enough players

Madness. This United side is far better than many are giving it credit. Very few weak areas apart from CM and maybe fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nah.....

Could well beat the record points total of 95 (Chelsea).
    I read somewhere recently that United are a team that are built to win the Premier League. Hard to disagree, considering the march we've been on recently - horses for courses...

Europe on the other hand, now that is a different story! :(:(

rooney, valencia, carrick, scholes, nani, young, evra, ferdinand,

And that's only the regulars
    A lot of players have come through this year

jones, evans, cleverley, welbeck,

And they signed what looks to be a world class keeper to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Cleverly is over-hyped imo
    Jones is good but people make him out to be something he isn't. Still only 20 though...
    Smalling is the real deal (Injuries seem to be a problem for him though)

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Cleverly is over-hyped imo
    Jones is good but people make him out to be something he isn't. Still only 20 though...
    Smalling is the real deal (Injuries seem to be a problem for him though)

jones needs to mature which he will do with games over the coming seasons
    cleverley needs a run in the team, he's been hampered with injuries too

rooney, valencia, carrick, scholes, nani, young, evra, ferdinand,

And that's only the regulars
    A lot of players have come through this year

jones, evans, cleverley, welbeck,

And they signed what looks to be a world class keeper to come

the only fella there worth a s**t is rooney and thats at a push valencia and young are good players nothing special carrick scholes nani evra and ferdinand are only average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jones is being over hyped imo. He will be a hell of a player, but he's not there yet, especially not at centre half. I've no doubt that he will be a very important player in years to come though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Giovanni Dos Santos is a good player

That's not a controversial opinion, that's just an opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement