Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home economics help

• 05-04-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Looking for help on home ec :( . Im in 5th year.My teacher Is incapable of teaching , but somehow she's still teaches. It's 8 months into the course and were only done 40 pg's of 440 pg book :(. I know that were not going to finish even half of the course untill leaving cert, so I decided to take matters into my own hands, gonna study on my own. But theres one problem , i dont know what areas of the course are
    More relevant than others. So could people that are good at home ec tell me what areas are cruicial to know inside out.Im using lifelines home ec book written by carmel enright and maureen flynn.
    Thanks allot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

You should know the whole food section inside out because that is always Q1 and it is compulsory! Do not leave any of it out!

It's kinda hard to say cos the course is so big! Also know your elective really well too because the part (a) question is also compulsory!

After that I'm not really sure. Have a look at exam papers and practise questions. You'll see for Q5 which is the whole family/marriage section, questions tend to repeat themselves, just worded differently...

Maybe if you try and find a Home Ec teacher on this and PM them about it maybe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Nerd1 wrote: »
    Looking for help on home ec :( . Im in 5th year.My teacher Is incapable of teaching , but somehow she's still teaches. It's 8 months into the course and were only done 40 pg's of 440 pg book :(. I know that were not going to finish even half of the course untill leaving cert, so I decided to take matters into my own hands, gonna study on my own. But theres one problem , i dont know what areas of the course are
    More relevant than others. So could people that are good at home ec tell me what areas are cruicial to know inside out.Im using lifelines home ec book written by carmel enright and maureen flynn.
    Thanks allot.

Nerd1, have you completed your journal? If so your home ec teacher deserves an apology!!!!! The journal is 20% and is extremely time consuming. The biggest misconception for students is that they think they may only have done 40 pages but in fact you have covered more as I am sure your teachers covered the topics in your journal e.g. Nutrition, special diets, the food commodities, preservation, sensory analysis. Lifelines has two electives but you only choose one! Good for you for studying though!
    The paper comes in 3sections
    A) 12 short qs q1-8 come from food studies
    q9-12 come from resource management & consumer studies you must answer 10

B) 5 question you must do q1 and pick 2 others
    Q1 is compulsory and work the same marks as journal 20%. It will be a graph/chart and Is related to a food and nutrition
    Q2+Q3 food studies
    Q4 Resource management & consumer studies
    Q5 Social studies (the family in society)

C) elective. This is work the same as journal 20%
    There are 3 parts a,b,c you must do a, and pick b/c. My students do the social studies one.

I recommend my students to know elective really well, know the technique for answering question 1, and to do question 4+5 over 2&3 as there are so many food chapters and sometimes the questions can be deceiving!) And the most important advice I can give someone in 5th year is make sure your journal is done really really well as it is 20% and you can use Internet, books etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

if you are intent on doing some extra by yourself,

get a good revision book as the books can be a bit technical - at least you'll know the basics from the revision book and bulk out that knowledge when you do it in class later on....

make sure you know the nutrients in detail (although don't neccessarily attempt to learn these from scratch by yourself cos you may get overwhemled) - concentrate on learning the vitamins off pat as they are more straight forward but time consuming to learn.
    i'd learn how the method of production of cheese & yoghurt as well, along with the processing of milk with reference to added value foods and functional foods.
    apart from that, do have a look at question 5 in the exam papers -- the social studies area. practice the exam papers and look up the marking scheme to make sure you are answering the question correctly.
    you may not know which elective you are doing yet, but ask the leaving certs -- most teachers tend to do the same elective all the time.
    hope this helps somewhat.

Advertisement