Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone go out in Clonmel anymore?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Whenever I'm out the towns half empty and everyplace is full of rough looking older people and underagers! :(

Where does all everyone go out to these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Only places I'd ever head out in Clonmel on a Saturday night would be Tierneys,Mulcahys or Gleesons and then onto O'Keeffes.

I'm 20 by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Whenever I'm out the towns half empty and everyplace is full of rough looking older people and underagers! :(

Where does all everyone go out to these days?

Have to agree with you, no one seems to be out much any more. Mon-fri pubs are dead compared to a few years ago you'll still get the few extra out on sat nights but sun night is really dead especially centre of town and irishtown. Doesnt seem to be any buzz around pubs anymore culture is really changing especially with money being scare. there is a rough element in a lot of pubs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gleesons is great fun of a Saturday night. But that's my local so I'm biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    full of rough looking older people and

Hi there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's not just Clonmel,no one going out anywhere if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tippspur wrote: »
    It's not just Clonmel,no one going out anywhere if you ask me.

This.

In saying that, every Saturday O'Keeffes is packed with all bars open.

Our Saturday night routine is always Muls for pool first and then O'Keeffes.

Fridays are usually quieter in O'Ks but again, all bars are open.

In regards the older crowd as you mentioned. The first bar there is usually older, but still good craic. Music is good in all bars..maybe a bit too "hard" for older crowds in the 3rd bar :/

Muls have good bands every weekend.

Wouldn't be a Gleesons fan at all.

All in all, compared to other places, Clonmel is alive and well. I hear Dannos is opening this weekend too. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

People have themselves to blame,every one just want's to go to OKeefes so trade in other late bars/disco's nosedived and closed plus Okeefes is free whilst other places charged for entry so that was also a factor......

What do you want to see in Clonmel?plenty half decent pubs about...

callaway92 wrote: »
    This.

In regards the older crowd as you mentioned. The first bar there is usually older, but still good craic. Music is good in all bars..maybe a bit too "hard" for older crowds in the 3rd bar :/

All in all, compared to other places, Clonmel is alive and well. I hear Dannos is opening this weekend too. *shudders*
    I'd be a first bar man if I was going in there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

This.

O'Keeffes is a dump. Overpriced drinks, underagers in the 3rd bar, toilets stink and no investment in the place in years. If that place opened in say Dublin or Waterford city centers it would be closed in a few weeks. The sooner people get out of the habit of going there the sooner the town will recover. Was back there at Christmas and shuddered at how far down hill the town had gone in the space of a year.

O'Keeffes is a dump. Overpriced drinks, underagers in the 3rd bar, toilets stink and no investment in the place in years. If that place opened in say Dublin or Waterford city centers it would be closed in a few weeks. The sooner people get out of the habit of going there the sooner the town will recover. Was back there at Christmas and shuddered at how far down hill the town had gone in the space of a year.

Overpriced drinks

No

underagers in the 3rd bar

Again, nope. They are strict with ID so that isn't true. If you had proof, I'd accept, but I doubt you do.

toilets stink

To be fair, they do a good job with the bathrooms. The ones in the corridor are obv tough to keep perfect, but the bathrooms between the 1st & 2nd bar and the bathrooms beside the hotel bar are fine.

If that place opened in say Dublin or Waterford city centers it would be closed in a few weeks

:rolleyes: wow at that comment. . Makes 0 sense.

• Advertisement

If this was all true how come it's the most popular bar in the town?:confused:

Overpriced drinks

No

€5.30 for a pint bottle in the 3rd bar at Christmas. That in my opinion is overpriced.

Again, nope. They are strict with ID so that isn't true. If you had proof, I'd accept, but I doubt you do.

I've seen younger brothers/cousins etc... of people I know that are under 18. Can I prove it? no as I dont take photos of people and ask them for their birth certs. They used to be very strict a few years back on I.D.
    toilets stink

To be fair, they do a good job with the bathrooms. The ones in the corridor are obv tough to keep perfect, but the bathrooms between the 1st & 2nd bar and the bathrooms beside the hotel bar are fine.

Maybe I'm getting old but I expect the toilets to be clean. I hold my hand up and say the toilet situation has improved since they opened the hotel toilets up for the nightclub. I remember when they wouldn't allow fellows out to use these which caused ques for the toilets in the hallway.

:rolleyes: wow at that comment. . Makes 0 sense.

Why doesn't it make sense in the context of this thread? The thread is about Clonmel nights out as whole. The quality of a night out in Clonmel has gone down hill. If other places stepped up to the mark you would see a drastic change in how not only how o'Keeffes operates but a gradual improvement in many of the pubs around town. The place needs investment. A bit of a re-fit, and improvement in the sound quality wouldn't go astray.

tippspur wrote: »
    If this was all true how come it's the most popular bar in the town?:confused:

Its the most populer venue on a Saturday night some other pubs would lay claim to been the most populer in town over the course of the whole weeks takings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Waterford is hardly the place to use as comparison considering the amount of pubs that operate under these exact conditions.

There are plenty of pubs and clubs in Dublin that also operate under these conditions and business is booming, Copper Face Jacks and Q Bar to name two spots that are always busy and allow in underagers, sell overpriced drink and the toilets leave a lot to be desired.

€5.30 for a pint bottle in the 3rd bar at Christmas. That in my opinion is overpriced.

I've seen younger brothers/cousins etc... of people I know that are under 18. Can I prove it? no as I dont take photos of people and ask them for their birth certs. They used to be very strict a few years back on I.D.

Maybe I'm getting old but I expect the toilets to be clean. I hold my hand up and say the toilet situation has improved since they opened the hotel toilets up for the nightclub. I remember when they wouldn't allow fellows out to use these which caused ques for the toilets in the hallway.

Why doesn't it make sense in the context of this thread? The thread is about Clonmel nights out as whole. The quality of a night out in Clonmel has gone down hill. If other places stepped up to the mark you would see a drastic change in how not only how o'Keeffes operates but a gradual improvement in many of the pubs around town. The place needs investment. A bit of a re-fit, and improvement in the sound quality wouldn't go astray.

HOW DARE THEY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

To be fair, the toilets have improved a good bit since the hotel toilets opened.
    I no longer have to contend with an inch deep puddle of piss on the floor when I need to relieve myself.

Drinks are overpriced. Paying ~€5 for a pint should be gone with the Celtic Tiger.
    They can charge what they want though because there is no real competition in Clonmel.

Posthouse is grand for the older crowd and Dannos rarely opens(Though it did open last night but the thought of paying €5 to get into a club seems to be alien to Clonmel people.. Dannos will never be as big as it once was) .

Okeeffe's is usually full of underagers, as is most popular clubs around the country. People in 4th/5th year in school will always have similar, older looking siblings for id.

ciano1 wrote: »
    To be fair, the toilets have improved a good bit since the hotel toilets opened.
    I no longer have to contend with an inch deep puddle of piss on the floor when I need to relieve myself.

Drinks are overpriced. Paying ~€5 for a pint should be gone with the Celtic Tiger.
    They can charge what they want though because there is no real competition in Clonmel.

Posthouse is grand for the older crowd and Dannos rarely opens(Though it did open last night but the thought of paying €5 to get into a club seems to be alien to Clonmel people.. Dannos will never be as big as it once was) .

Okeeffe's is usually full of underagers, as is most popular clubs around the country. People in 4th/5th year in school will always have similar, older looking siblings for id.

no it is not usually "Full" of underagers.. jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I went to O' Keeffe's last night and they seemed to have done a bit of painting and put up a few fairy lights in the first bar... looked slightly better I think.
    And to be fair the girls toilets are disgusting! It's nearly impossible to find one thats not overflowing by 1 on a normal night, never mind a night as busy as last night.

My younger sister is always pointing out all the kiddies that were a few years under her in school so they must only be about T.Y now. I'd recognise peoples younger brothers and sisters in there too.
    When it's busy it's not too bad because they don't seem to take over the place as much.

Anyone else in there last night? What did ye think? :)

no it is not usually "Full" of underagers.. jaysus

Always lots of underagers in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I was in O'Keeffes on Saturday night and the crowd was quite young but not as young as the week before when it seemed to be mostly school kids celebrating the Easter holidays. I like the music in O'Keeffes (mostly first bar - I'm 32 after all!) but will go to the 3rd bar for a bit of a dance before 2am (gets a bit hardcore 'rave' music after that). Vodka and a dash of white was €4.30 on saturday night so no problem with that price. They've done it up as well but also noticed they had all the lights on which really isn't conducive to flirting. Felt like I was dancing in my sitting room at one stage.

Went to Gleesons and Posthouse last night, both of which were great. Posthouse has good music and a slightly older crowd (mid to late 20s and up) BUT on a normal saturday night with nothing happening (no matches, bank holidays etc) the Posthouse is very very quiet and unless you're with a big group it can be a bit boring.

No one is going out any more unless there's something on - you'll always get a crowd for long weekends or sporting occasions. I spent €100 over the weekend which in hindsight doesn't seem worth it. And I won't be able to go out again now for a few weeks - that's just the way it is these days.

• Advertisement

Gleesons was rocking last night. The Waheys sure can get the crowd moving.

I only go to pubs and I avoid nightclubs. Pubs > nightclubs and I'm 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Gleesons was rocking last night. The Waheys sure can get the crowd moving.

I only go to pubs and I avoid nightclubs. Pubs > nightclubs and I'm 22.

I'm 22 too but I still like having somewhere to go after the pub.... I don't like going home early! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Meathlass wrote: »
    I was in O'Keeffes on Saturday night and the crowd was quite young but not as young as the week before when it seemed to be mostly school kids celebrating the Easter holidays. I like the music in O'Keeffes (mostly first bar - I'm 32 after all!) but will go to the 3rd bar for a bit of a dance before 2am (gets a bit hardcore 'rave' music after that). Vodka and a dash of white was €4.30 on saturday night so no problem with that price. They've done it up as well but also noticed they had all the lights on which really isn't conducive to flirting. Felt like I was dancing in my sitting room at one stage.

Went to Gleesons and Posthouse last night, both of which were great. Posthouse has good music and a slightly older crowd (mid to late 20s and up) BUT on a normal saturday night with nothing happening (no matches, bank holidays etc) the Posthouse is very very quiet and unless you're with a big group it can be a bit boring.

No one is going out any more unless there's something on - you'll always get a crowd for long weekends or sporting occasions. I spent €100 over the weekend which in hindsight doesn't seem worth it. And I won't be able to go out again now for a few weeks - that's just the way it is these days.

The Posthouse was good last night.But like you say,there only music there bank holidays.The first few times in there,I got lost going to the toilet,and I saw some ladies heading towards the gents last night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

DT100 wrote: »
    The Posthouse was good last night.But like you say,there only music there bank holidays.The first few times in there,I got lost going to the toilet,and I saw some ladies heading towards the gents last night:D

One of the entrances into the gents is also an exit back down a different set of stairs, which I think might also lead to the smoking area. It's a bit confusing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

No

your wrong there anyway I know loads that go there

DT100 wrote: »

They only have music on bank holiday weekends? I haven't been there in a while but I thought they had music most Friday nights?
    Meathlass wrote: »
    One of the entrances into the gents is also an exit back down a different set of stairs, which I think might also lead to the smoking area. It's a bit confusing alright.

I always liked to think of the toilets in the Posthouse as an adventure with a prize for not getting lost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

In my mid 20's, and I dont like O'Keeffes yet I still go there. Its the only place that gets a good crowd after the pub. Granted the first bar is nice and plays alright music, anything after that is a disaster. The ladies toilets are disgraceful, and the music in the next bar/club is really bad. If they mixed it up a little with some chart music or something it wouldn't be too bad. Haven't been brave enough to venture further back than that.

fichillie wrote: »
    In my mid 20's, and I dont like O'Keeffes yet I still go there. Its the only place that gets a good crowd after the pub. Granted the first bar is nice and plays alright music, anything after that is a disaster. The ladies toilets are disgraceful, and the music in the next bar/club is really bad. If they mixed it up a little with some chart music or something it wouldn't be too bad. Haven't been brave enough to venture further back than that.

2nd bar is prob 70% chart music imo with some mixed up a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I totally agree that O Keefes is full of underage kids, I regularly meet boys and girls that are in TY in there (all only 16....and I am certain of that). I also agree that the toilets are not great, the ladies in the first bar are regularly flooded.

Totally agree with you Meathlass, the new lights are a disaster...its waaay too Bright !!!

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    Totally agree with you Meathlass, the new lights are a disaster...its waaay too Bright !!!

Not a bad thing. Nothing worse than a pub/club that's nearly pitch black.

Advertisement