Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse fishing in Connemara

Options
  • 05-04-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

A few years ago I moved from the UK to North Connemara and brought all my coarse fishing gear with me. Now where I used to live was surrounded by gravel pits, canals and slow, meandering rivers full of Barbel... coarse fishing heaven!

I now find myself living in a game fishing nirvana. Trout, Salmon, Sea Trout and lots of rich people in waders and tweed jackets, but all on waters that cost more for one days fishing than my monthly mortgage. Add to that the fact that I'm not that interested in flinging a fly around and all I have left is a bit of sea fishing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on some good solid course fishing in the North Galway / South Mayo area? I would dearly love to cover my nets with Tench and Bream slime again or cut my finger on the spines of a 3lb plus Perch! Maybe even get my unhooking mat out for, dare I say it, a Carp or two...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

For a start, you must have a very cheap mortgage - it doesn't cost that much to fish those rivers!

Anyway back to coarse fish - nearest coarse fisheries to you ae probably the Moycullen lakes - roach, bream and hybrids, some perch and good pike. Corrib has good stocks of bream, hybrids, roach and perch but its a vast water and not really fished at all for coarse fish, but if you were to put in a few days groundbaiting I reckon you could have a lot of fish - Maam bay is noted for big shoals of bream, if you can get shoreline access to create a couple of swims and get some bait in you could have some great sport.

The Robe River downstream of Ballinrobe has good stocks of bream too.

I think the Castlebar River and a few lakes in that area have big stocks of roach too, but I don't know the area too well.

HTH

Advertisement