Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Bulid.

Options
  • 05-04-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on putting together a HTPC build. Have a bit of a build put together and just wanted to see if anyone can see any issues or has a better suggestion.

1. What is your budget? [€400 max]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [HTPC/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No] (Plan is to use a free OS if possible, any advice here is appreciated)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [I have a 2TB HDD for storage]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [32' HDTV] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [About a week.]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I'll build it myself.]

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€51.72
    Intel Core i3-2105 Box, LGA1155|€116.71
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9|€19.37
    Gigabyte H61N-USB3, Intel H61, ITX|€73.20
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€78.74
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€358.73

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

2105 is probably overkill for HTPC stuff. You could probably drop down a G530 and save €100 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Would i see any difference in terms of internet streaming or video quality as a result of going for a G530? With the money I'd save there i could throw in a copy a windws 7 and still be below budget.

Not exactly the same parts. G620 (2.6GHz vs. 2.4) and a 2100 (same speed), but you get the idea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/406?vs=289

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I'll go with the G530 so. Given the price difference it certainly looks the better option.

Do you know anything about the MOBO? I was going to go for this

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50896&agid=1605

but it's not in stock at the minute.

I haven't got a clue about ITX boards to be honest. If I were building one though, I'd probably go for the ASRock, just because people here seem to have great experiences with their other boards.

Stuff on HWVS usually comes back in stock pretty quick as well, so it might well be there by the time you go to order.

Yeah, just checked there and it's due back in on Wednesday, so you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement