Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treatment for fleas?

• 05-04-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Have noticed my Springer scratching a bit the last couple of days. I used to get him flea collars and I was wondering whats the best to buy to take care of fleas? I don't want my kittens catching them (They have recently taken a shine to his bed... He sleeps on the floor :rolleyes:) So I want something that I can use for both the kittys and the dog :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

http://www.buyadvocate.co.uk/

I use advocate and have never had an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I use frontline, get it from the vet. Not a big believer in the flea collar's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Most spot on treatments work very well and are easy to use. Make sure you buy them from a vet or veterinary suppliers, not a pet store. Some good brands include Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, Stronghold, Advocate, Effipro, Promeris... most vets will stock one or two brands, most products will cover both fleas and ticks (some cover lice too) and they are administered by weight (put onto the back of the dogs neck). Generally, they will last one to two months. Just ask, or read, about the product before you buy so you know the procedure and how long it will last.

You can also get spot on treatments for cats and kittens (just in case they have picked up fleas!). Washing the bed at a high temperature may be a good idea to get rid of the little buggers!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

i found collar worked the best. put the collar one, give him a good wash, clean all is bedding and do a good vacuum then get rid of the collar a few weeks later when hes clear of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

stay away from the supermarket treatments, the spot on treatments from a vet are the simplest solution - you might want to weigh your dog so you can buy the right size for him, and the cats have their own type - some brands have slightly different ingredients for dog or cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Some brands of flea treatment for dogs is poisonous to kittens and cats and you have to separate them for a day or two. So check that too. Dog fleas and cat fleas are different, comb your dog and cats and check for little black flecks in their fur, that way you know if they have fleas or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

whatever you do dont use stronghold

i used the spot on for my cat a week ago and she now has a massive bald spot which she keeps scratching, tapeworm and fleas! oh and i paid for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

*Sparkle* wrote: »
    Have noticed my Springer scratching a bit the last couple of days. I used to get him flea collars and I was wondering whats the best to buy to take care of fleas? I don't want my kittens catching them (They have recently taken a shine to his bed... He sleeps on the floor :rolleyes:) So I want something that I can use for both the kittys and the dog :D

This might be a dumb question, Sparkle, but is 'scratching' only due to fleas? I expect that you have checked for fleas before spending money on something that you mightn't need.

Maybe get your vet to check it out if you can't?

Advertisement