Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't all the religion threads in after hours go into religion forums?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

There seems to be around 2 topics every page, 3 sometimes.

Why don't these get moved into the Religion forums? If a topic was created about The Sopranos it would be suitable for the TV forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Moderators' discretion. /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

But what do you mean?

If I were to post a topic about Soccer in the motor forum the thread would not be in place as there is a Soccer forum already.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well AH is a bit of everything board, plenty of threads could be moved to politics, religion etc.

Mods discretion is a big one, the AH mods have to consider whether a thread would fit in the related board and whether it fits in AH. AH by its very nature has varied opinions on everyday matters and religion and politics are everyday matters, plus it's a good thing to take the piss out of politics and religion! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

because the tone of the threads is often very one sided and not fully informed.

More noise than needed and can be a lot of venom.

Best keep those threads in AH and out of the more sane forums.

Saying that, sometimes AH has some great informative discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Rabies wrote: »

Saying that, sometimes AH has some great informative discussions.
    ah, I remember the last one, winter of 2009, feeky had just gotten shut down, Terry was about to get naked and there was a thread about politics that didn't end in mudslinging after going for 300 posts. It was a calmer time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Years ago you tended to see a lot more threads being moved out of AH and to the relevant forum. This was often done to try and push traffic to other parts of the site. I think it's a lot more difficulty for AH mods to do that now days because other forums don't need the traffic as much and aren't necessarily very welcoming to a multi-page AH-style thread suddenly appearing in the forum. As a result, the AH mods are probably more inclined to leave these threads where they are rather than move them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Personally I'm much more concerned about the influx of Pokemon. Much harder to prevent the decline. They're also fictional but much more socially relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

There seems to be around 2 topics every page, 3 sometimes.

Why don't these get moved into the Religion forums? If a topic was created about The Sopranos it would be suitable for the TV forum.

Some discussions on religion are better suited to the general tone on AH, other discussions on religion are better in a religion forum. As pointed out this is discretional.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Most of those threads wouldn't last 2 minutes in the christianity forum.

I guess the rule of thumb seems to be the context of the thread - using the example of religion - if it were an actual proper theological discussion, then it would be moved to a religion forum, but if it were something as simple as "I hate Catholics - explain", then it might stay in After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Down with that sort of thing

Advertisement