Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trigger finger

Options
  • 06-04-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone here use a different finger other than there index finger as there trigger finger?

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not personally. I've known people with injuries to do it for a while, but they don't keep doing it after recovering. Only people I know doing it full time are rapid-fire shooters. Thumb and forefinger never leaves the bolt handle, middle finger operates the trigger. No hand movements make fast shooting really easy, but I dunno, don't think I could maintain the fine motor control I need to shoot as well as I like without using my index and having a hand making proper contact with the pistol grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Back in the sixties the Cubans produced a copy of the Browning HP designed to allow the index finger lay along the frame above the trigger and the trigger to be pulled with the second finger. The idea was that it was natural to point with the index finger. For me it would seem difficult to use my second finger without moving my index finger but anything is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

"here" & now, I doubt it except in exceptional cases, e.g. loss of use of index finger, or "mad minute" shooting.

But there have in the past been guns made to be shot other than with the index finger. Google "thumb trigger rifle".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have also seen biathlon shooters now I think about it. Allows more natural position to rest the thumb on the back of the bolt handle and the index finger floats to catch it on the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Winchester tried to sell a thumb trigger bolt action .22 for a while , it never caught on.

http://www.cabelas.com/scarborough-gun-library-winchester-mod-99-thumb-trigger-22.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone here use a different finger other than there index finger as there trigger finger?
    TB26

I have actually done so just out of curiosity and found it to be more comfortable.

As pointed out above, no pun intended, your index finger acts as a kind of pointer.

More importantly, I find that when shooting the middle finger, my hands feel more relaxed and less bunched up on the grip.

Note: I usually only do this with pistols and I haven't any basis to say whether I shot better or worse.

I'll have to head to the range and try and get some data between the two shooting styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

FISMA wrote: »
    I have actually done so just out of curiosity and found it to be more comfortable.

As pointed out above, no pun intended, your index finger acts as a kind of pointer.

More importantly, I find that when shooting the middle finger, my hands feel more relaxed and less bunched up on the grip.

Note: I usually only do this with pistols and I haven't any basis to say whether I shot better or worse.

I'll have to head to the range and try and get some data between the two shooting styles.

"I'll have to head to the range"

Definitely get yourself + 1 to the range this week anyway. ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I notice when holding my 10/22 last nite that it was alot more comfortable to hold the stock with my index finger on the stock and middle finger on the trigger. however i didnt fire the rifle using this method so it might be worse once the gun is firing

Advertisement