Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile speed vans not as active in Drogheda?

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I used to see a van every week and sometimes twice a week on Trinity Street, where I drive past at least twice every day. But in the last month I've not seen any. The cynic in me says this was not turning out to be a productive zone for the company who operates the vans, so they have moved to more lucrative spots. In fairness, it seemed ridiculous that they set up within 100m of a major junction with traffic lights. Not exactly a great spot to catch somebody breaking the 50km/hr limit when traffic is often backed up 1/2 a kilometre heading into town, and outbound you can spot the van straight away and slow down, not that you probably need to anyway.

Just wondering....!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

gebbel wrote: »
    I used to see a van every week and sometimes twice a week on Trinity Street, where I drive past at least twice every day. But in the last month I've not seen any. The cynic in me says this was not turning out to be a productive zone for the company who operates the vans, so they have moved to more lucrative spots. In fairness, it seemed ridiculous that they set up within 100m of a major junction with traffic lights. Not exactly a great spot to catch somebody breaking the 50km/hr limit when traffic is often backed up 1/2 a kilometre heading into town, and outbound you can spot the van straight away and slow down, not that you probably need to anyway.

Just wondering....!

Those "Go Safe" vans generally have you before you have them. They are capable of clocking you 1km away.

I must agree somewhat. I haven't seen a Go Safe van along any part of the N2 or in the general Louth area in quite some time and I cover a good distance each day. Re the Trinity Street bit.... To be honest, I generally hit Trinity street every morning around 7am and I was as guilty as hell of booting it down well in excess of the speed limit before those vans started monitoring that area. I've actually slowed down around there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

There was one parked up on the R152 (Drog-Kilmoon X) outside the cement factory at Platin about a month or so ago. Couldn't be seen until you got round the bend in the road just past the factory entrance....but the number of drivers coming the other way who flashed to let people know something was up was a bit of a giveaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

gipi wrote: »
    There was one parked up on the R152 (Drog-Kilmoon X) outside the cement factory at Platin about a month or so ago. Couldn't be seen until you got round the bend in the road just past the factory entrance....but the number of drivers coming the other way who flashed to let people know something was up was a bit of a giveaway!

Gotta love those flashers! I would say that was the Garda van, as opposed to the private company that operate on Trinity Street though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Couldn't say for sure - it looked pretty anonymous anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Garda Vans now have the Garda Logo on the back.

Go Safe survey vans are un marked

Go Safe speed detection vans are marked.

A Survey van won't get you a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

gipi wrote: »

I got caught there a year or year 1/2 ago. I was doing 90km/h in what is an 80km/h zone. It's ridiculous that it's only 80km/h there, 100 would be fine. I'd say it's a very lucrative location for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Spotted one of these blue 'Go Safe' vans driving down the Donore Road yesterday. Didn't think it was that conspicuous, first time I've noticed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

i travel around louth and meath quite a bit .
    yeah id say they have been less noticeable lately .
    the one on trinity st early in the morning could bag a lot of buisness
    cars are rushing to make the traffic lights .

later on around 8 or 9am the ammount of traffic using the housing estate ashfield is crazy .
    having a go safe van in that estate would catch an awful lot of speeder out and righty so its just a matter of time before someone get run over there ,its like a bypass in the mornings .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

i travel around louth and meath quite a bit .
    yeah id say they have been less noticeable lately .
    the one on trinity st early in the morning could bag a lot of buisness
    cars are rushing to make the traffic lights .

Where is it usually in trinity street?

they usually park about 400m from the lights
    around the kebab palace and caseys pub .
    incidently they keep the vans in an industrial estate unit just off the greenhills rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

When the blue van is parked up at the safety centre between the street lights, its very difficult to spot at night or early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Outside the safety center today and another one between Termonfeckin and Clogherhead church.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

The lads who patrol them must be reading this thread because I just passed one on the platin road, near the factory on the Drogheda side.
    What's doubly annoying is no sign to say whether it's a 60 or 80 zone. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If there is actually no sign to indicate when the speed limit changes then the speed limit in the area of ambiguity is unenforceable.

I was behind one of them last week
    He was coming from Funshog in ardee beside the white river turn off .
    " another fav spot for them "
    He was driving through Collon at 40 mph
    It's a 30 mph zone ?
    He was heading back to their Drogheda depot

Advertisement