Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things about Ireland that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The price of petrol is puuuuuure scandelous
    The conduct of our politicians is also puuuuuure scandalous

The price of cheap drink in Tesco is da solid finehist

You drive a vay-hick-el. Gardaí learn this in Templemore
    You do not drive a vee-ick-el, only townies and city folk say that

To bate off is nothing dirty, it just means to go somewhere
    Hey boss, I'm bateing off to the shops now for my lunchbreak

Dubs call a bicycle a push-bike :confused:
    I never heard that phrase in my life outside Dublin or on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

ilovesleep wrote: »
    When in Dublin, if you see a man rummaging in his pockets he's having a ****.

When outside Dublin,a man rummaging in his pockets is most likely peeling an orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

We say "**** off" to show surprise, envy, disbelief, anger, love or humility.

"I won €500 on the horses." "**** off"
    "You're great at football." "**** off"
    "Whitney Houston just died" "**** off"

Whereas "Go **** yourself" usually expresses annoyance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Cork Lass wrote: »
    The one thing I really like about Ireland is that those who dislike it/are glad they were not raised here have the freedom to leave anytime they choose.

What if they would dearly love to leave ireland, but are unfortunately trapped here by negative equity, family commitments or other reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Publicly being a drunken mess is acceptable.
    But Keith Barry on the late late show is apparently a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

People don't hate you people just like banter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

What if they would dearly love to leave ireland, but are unfortunately trapped here by negative equity, family commitments or other reasons?

Any takers for this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

In Dublin, a bag of chips is called a 'single'.....even if you're buying more than one, it'll be '3 singles'

We also still convert Euros to Punts for some reason.

"€20?! Sure thats only £15!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

DeadlyTwig wrote: »
    In Dublin, a bag of chips is called a 'single'.....even if you're buying more than one, it'll be '3 singles'

We also still convert Euros to Punts for some reason.

"€20?! Sure thats only £15!"

My da sometimes even goes back to shillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Diet 7up, or boiled milk with pepper in it!!

Don't forget sudocream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Don't forget sudocream!

And even though it's actually called "Sudocrem", never ever call it that. Sudocream or nothin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LorcanN

Any sporting injury in Ireland can be healed with a quick spray of deep heat!

DeadlyTwig wrote: »

Yep and the Dubs don't order curry chips, it's a curry chip. Just one

And fish n'chips is a wan n' wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

crfcaio wrote: »
    foreigners MUST know before going there.

Of what should I be aware?

Enlighten me, AH.

Ah, the "great bunch of lads" is patting their own backs I see :rolleyes:

Here are my 2 foreign cents:

1) Before you drive have a few sleeping pills to stay in line with the rest of the drivers.

2) Have loads of spare change for the junkies in D1,2,3 area.

3) If you meet someone at 4:00 pm it's very likely that they arrive at 4:30pm, if arrive at all.

4) The Irish have PhD in bull****ting - never trust 100% but pretend to believe their fairy tales (specially after a few drinks).

5) The Irish go from extremely calm and nice to extremely aggressive. Don't be misled by "Ah it's all grand, sure you're alright" attitude, because it may change any second as the person goes insane.

Apart from the above it isn't bad. Pretty much same like everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

When you accept a drink off someone in a round, its a contract. You are required to buy a round back. No matter how much drink an Irish person consumes, they always remember who dodged buying a round....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

moggser wrote: »
    Your favourite? The one in the green and white shirt.
    Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Old Tom wrote: »
    Ah, the "great bunch of lads" is patting their own backs I see :rolleyes:

Here are my 2 foreign cents:

1) Before you drive have a few sleeping pills to stay in line with the rest of the drivers.

2) Have loads of spare change for the junkies in D1,2,3 area.

3) If you meet someone at 4:00 pm it's very likely that they arrive at 4:30pm, if arrive at all.

4) The Irish have PhD in bull****ting - never trust 100% but pretend to believe their fairy tales (specially after a few drinks).

5) The Irish go from extremely calm and nice to extremely aggressive. Don't be misled by "Ah it's all grand, sure you're alright" attitude, because it may change any second as the person goes insane.

Apart from the above it isn't bad. Pretty much same like everywhere else.

lol this whole thread is completely taking the piss, hardly a nation bragging about ourselves. No realist from Ireland or anywhere else should be offended about what others claim to think of their country because they are their own person, and generally stereotypes , good or bad, are just that, stereotypes.

Also, I would like to point out, that your third claim is a logical impossibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

bout3fiddy wrote: »
    Really? Despite the fact most customs in Ireland are passed down from English tradition? Most of our culture has been pilfered from the Brits. You are in a minority my friend. There is no longer real hatred towards the British in this country. Irish people are actually treated much the same as their own citizens in the UK. Unlike the French or Germans. The British even offered to help this country during the crash in 2010. What did the continental folk do? Laugh.

i have no hatred for the brits.. but you are full of shít

many of the customs were forced upon the irish, you forgot to mention that..

Also, Britain didnt "help" us in 2010, they gave us a loan, with an interest rate, to save their economy aswell as ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

bout3fiddy wrote: »
    Really? Despite the fact most customs in Ireland are passed down from English tradition? Most of our culture has been pilfered from the Brits. You are in a minority my friend. There is no longer real hatred towards the British in this country. Irish people are actually treated much the same as their own citizens in the UK. Unlike the French or Germans. The British even offered to help this country during the crash in 2010. What did the continental folk do? Laugh.

Evidently you have no clue about international economic affairs. British offered a high rate interest loan so as to safeguard the flow of goods to their biggest export market while at the same time protecting their Irish investments. It was hardly done out of "neighbourly love" as you would like to pretend, but more out of necessity. Besides, why are you challenging the other poster with this rubbish? He was obviously posting a light-hearted comment not intended to be taken seriously.

Why did you have to drag this light hearted thread into this sea of utter crap....:rolleyes:

Back on topic: When visiting Ireland it is important to note that the gang of tracksuit wearing youths hanging around street corners in Dublin city centre ARE NOT ATHLETES. Under no circumstances approach them with a map and ask them for directions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

lol this whole thread is completely taking the piss, hardly a nation bragging about ourselves. No realist from Ireland or anywhere else should be offended about what others claim to think of their country because they are their own person, and generally stereotypes , good or bad, are just that, stereotypes.
    Oh, is it really? Well, what made you think my post was not a pisstake so? Touched, perhaps? :rolleyes:

Also, I would like to point out, that your third claim is a logical impossibility
    Thank you for pointing out my terrible mistake.
    But I'm sure you know what I meant by that. If not, I may think about point 5) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

another thing is the ability to argue with one and other over stupid ****ing things as seen above ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh, is it really? Well, what made you think my post was not a pisstake so? Touched, perhaps? :rolleyes:

Touchéd?

Thank you for pointing out my terrible mistake.
    But I'm sure you know what I meant by that. If not, I may think about point 5) :cool:

I had that in mind while writing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

neil_hosey wrote: »
    i have no hatred for the brits.. but you are full of shít

many of the customs were forced upon the irish, you forgot to mention that..

Also, Britain didnt "help" us in 2010, they gave us a loan, with an interest rate, to save their economy aswell as ours.

The Irish are forced to support Man United, eat fish and chips and listen to Take That?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

What is a slang for "cool" in Ireland? I wanna call this thread a [Irish slang for cool] one :)

an -fukin- real

savage

pure daycent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

ya have to put your hand out to stop the bus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ya have to put your hand out to stop the bus
    Or near where my uncle lived in Wexford, to stop a train(seriously.)
    Only tourists visit Blarney Castle ,do the rather silly "banquet" in Bunratty and still visit Waterford glass, even though it isn't even made in Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you're in a restaurant having a meal and it's not up to standard, make sure to complain about it to everyone EXCEPT the waiter, even when he comes over to ask if everything is fine.

We love a good moan, just not to the right person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Babybuff wrote: »
    dinner time is usually somewhere between 1 and 2pm.

No, that's lunch time.
    Babybuff wrote: »
    and tea time is sometime after the angelus

That's dinner time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If you own a 4X4 its called "A Jeep", all 4X4s in Ireland are Jeeps, even if its a LandRover :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The Irish are forced to support Man United?

Some will be soon enough when Portsmouth go out of business :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just fúckin watch father ted and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or near where my uncle lived in Wexford, to stop a train(seriously.)
    Only tourists visit Blarney Castle ,do the rather silly "banquet" in Bunratty and still visit Waterford glass, even though it isn't even made in Ireland now.

Not true, some (though granted, not all), is made in Waterford. And the locals use the cafe which does gorgeous cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

If your visiting us here in culchie land a popular greeting in passing is "Hows the going?". Now were not looking for your life story here but just a quick "Hows the going now?" (with a nod helps) back while passing on your way and you will be grand. Its fairly normal here to answer a question by asking one in return, takes a bit of getting use to but after while you will pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Make sure you take time to experience the rich and diverse traveller culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

If somebody is driving towards you on a country road, and they lift one finger off the steering wheel, they are saying hello!! You are expected to wave your whole hand in the air to return the greeting!! Don't worry if you don't know them, they will know who YOU are and that's the main thing!
    A stranger in the parish will not have gone un-noticed, and the local gossips will have figured out exactly who you are and what your doing here by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Dead people list : on local radio stations, dj's read out a list of people who've recently died in the parish and surrounding areas. To the new-comer it might sound as if an epidemic has befallen the area, but the 'dead list' is merely a means for nosey-parkers to turn up at funerals (of people they don't really know all that well) with their faces set to 'Isn't it terrible?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Ireland is a lovely place full of lovely people and the odd shitebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Cheers, lads (because only Brits say "mates"), this thread has been grand :D

• Advertisement

We don't say cheers either

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Oh, I like saying cheers, though

And I just watched the first episode of the first season of Father Ted. From what region comes their accent? (Are they from the same region?)

Irish accent is nothing like British (and when I say British I always think of England).

It is as if they had an egg in their mouths lol

One thing I noticed while watching the show: the old priest said to the laid "Fack off!" Is that really how you guys pronounce "fuck off"?

One thing I noticed while watching the show: the old priest said to the laid "Fack off!" Is that really how you guys pronounce "fuck off"?

It was a comedy show for the family

You can't put "fuck off" in a show like that
    The actors just did what they were told

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh, I like saying cheers, though

And I just watched the first episode of the first season of Father Ted. From what region comes their accent? (Are they from the same region?)

Irish accent is nothing like British (and when I say British I always think of England).

It is as if they had an egg in their mouths lol

Feck off is the Irish version of **** off. The Father Ted actors used their own accents for the series as far as I know so there is no one dominant regional accent in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

"I will ye" actually means "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

"Will ye go and ****e" doesn't mean you should go to the toilet, rather it just means "no". Same goes for "I will in me hole" or "go ask me bollix".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You'll go to the shop to get messages :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

People in Hi-Ace's will try to sell you rugs/furniture. Do not buy anything.

Hot Dogs do not exist...maybe in Dublin if a shipment meant for America somehow crashes upon our shores.

All crisps are Tayto. Eat anything else and you are British and will be ousted accordingly.

"I will in me hole" means No Way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Cheers, lads (because only Brits say "mates"), this thread has been grand :D

It's great craic all right, isn't it Horse*?:D

* Perfectly acceptable in rural areas to call random men "Horse":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

You know at this stage all about the Irish mammy, sadly it can be true in extreme. Don't let her son's often beautiful jaw structure, lovely matching blue shirt and jeans & the accent I guess you'll like lure you into her role.

Safely cooked meat and boiled vegetables don't look like they have anything nutritional to offer? Shut up and eat your dinner!

If you go out on the lock and end up not knowing what you're doing don't worry because somebody else always will.

Advertisement