Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of your books

Options
  • 06-04-2012 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I am about an avid a book-reader as you'll find, but I resisted the Kindle for a long time because I loved my books so much and didn't feel the need for change. However, I caved and got one last Christmas and it has Changed. My. Life!!! :D I have over 350 books on it now - lots of favourites and a bucket load of that were on my wish-list, together with lots of best sellers, recommended authors and just pure random.

I haven't picked up an actual book in over three months, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my book collection. There's a few I will always keep 'cause of sentimental value and, honestly, it pains me to even think of losing the rest of them, but, being practical, I don't think there's any need to keep them anymore. They do take up a lot of space and there are plenty of people out there who will benefit from them.

But I wanted to hear if anybody else has done the same and if they regretted it. I haven't been without a bookcase since I was about two years old and, while it might sound silly, it feels like a big step.

Also, on a side note, does anybody know the best place to give away books in Dublin city centre for if I do decide to make the plunge?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Personally I could never ever! :eek: But then again I wouldn't get a kindle myself 'cause I think books are pretty, and I'd like the thought of being able to give them to my own kids someday. Any charities I'm sure would be happy to get their hands on them though, if you do decide to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I get ya. But, if books were pretty to me before, my Kindle is beautiful. Just looking at it and knowing that I have a bookcase that I can carry around in my handbag makes me very, very happy.

I know what you mean about giving books to your children, and there are some I got from my granny that I'd love to pass on, but I think that by the time I have kids (2080 or so), paper books will be largely obsolete for that generation. That's not necessarily a wholly good thing, but, in my view, paper books are to Kindles what encyclopedias are to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've got to say,I love the smell,the feel...everything about my books.
    Would never have bought a Kindle for myself,but got one as a present over a year ago.
    Love it so much now,and wouldn't be without it.

Got some books at Christmas,and they felt so heavy and strange in my hands- I can't explain it.
    Having said that,I will always buy the books by my favourite authors rather than download them.

And I will never get rid of my books,no matter what.
    (Got rid of loads years ago when I moved house and regretted it:().

Give it some time-you might regret getting rid of them.
    Otherwise,would agree re charities,or have a sale yourself and donate the money to a literacy charity!!

Enjoy your kindle:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

i donate mine to my local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

msthe80s wrote: »
    Got some books at Christmas,and they felt so heavy and strange in my hands- I can't explain it.
    Having said that,I will always buy the books by my favourite authors rather than download them...

Enjoy your kindle:)

Totally agree with you re. books feeling strange and heavy. I've already got so comfortable with my little lightweight Kindle. One of my favourite things about it is - I read whenever I get the chance, and when I'm drying my hair, I have a book in front of me. And, so, I always had two hairbrushes: one to brush my hair and the other to keep my book open. The Kindle has made my life so much easier!!

I do download books now rather than buying them. I think it's time for me to let go of the books.
    Owryan wrote: »
    i donate mine to my local library.

Great idea. I've got so much from my library - time to give back. Thanks!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Charity shops, Chapters (if you've got a lot, it might be worth your while) and there are a lot of cafes around town that are trying to give an atmosphere of a 'library' by having loads of books available.

But the best option is your local library, as posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Charity shops, Chapters (if you've got a lot, it might be worth your while) and there are a lot of cafes around town that are trying to give an atmosphere of a 'library' by having loads of books available.

But the best option is your local library, as posted above.

Not necessarily - it costs libraries money to process and catalogue the books - storage space as well is a real issue, so ask first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You could try renting a stall or a pitch at a car boot sale.

I was born with paper and I will die with paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I got rid of lots of books over the years however I have learned from this experience to never never give away a book that I might, just might, read again. Even if its years and years later. Some books are now out of print and I had trouble tracking down some of them. So if you didn't like it, let it go, if you did and you re-read, then hold on to them.

Haven't a kindle but what happens when you need to replace it, can you switch your books ok? Will they become unreadable if they upgrade the softwear? No idea how it works but very curious about them. Have repetitive strain in my thumb, that I fondly call 'my old reading injury' from holding heavy books open with one hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'll take em off ya!! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

The Central Library in the ILAC Centre is always happy to take boook donations. Unless they fill a specific gap they probably won't get catalogued and will be put on a display for people to take home but thats not a bad thing.

Not necessarily - it costs libraries money to process and catalogue the books - storage space as well is a real issue, so ask first.

Best option is to try your library first and see if they can utilise them, so allowing your unwanted books to (possibly) be used in the most democratic, non-profit manner benefiting the most amount of people. Then you go down through a list of the options as you see fit. I wasn't suggesting dumping them outside the library and running away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I was merely suggesting that some people arrive at their library desk with a box of 20 or so books and then get a little miffed / annoyed if the library says 'thanks but no thanks'

Yeah. I was suggesting the OP follow the advice of the poster who donates his to the library. I presume it's a regular thing. I also presume they would've told him whether it was too expensive/a nuisance/cataloguing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The thread title makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I was merely suggesting that some people arrive at their library desk with a box of 20 or so books and then get a little miffed / annoyed if the library says 'thanks but no thanks'

yep, I think that would be annoying. Probably better to ring ahead. Like I said though I know the Central Library will take donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

haha. I came here to ask the same question.
    I didn't want to give away all of my books. I have lots of strange books I didn't want because some of my friends think that a book is always a good present. No matter what it is. Or if I already have it... So, yeah.
    Asking the local library is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I bought a Kindle over the weekend as an early birthday pressie for myself, always thought I preferred books but I'm in love with my Kindle now....

I call it Kimmy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Has any one tried selling books online?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Perhaps try Angie Kenny at Friends of the Library in Trinity. I do know they take books - a good cause too.

• Advertisement

Just on an aside here, but I will not buy an ereader - for reasons listed here, but also I have a book from 1983 and it still works. I seem to remember something like a ZX81 about that time - these are mostly not working now. Will chargers be available in 5 years time? One thing that has followed throughout all the changes in IT (look back at all the changes) is Backup. So....1400 books - for how long? I am no technophobe, but give me something that will copy what I own so I can bring it on a low load trip - knowing that it will become useless, before me, or books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

I got mine as a pressie last year, i was a bit skeptical about it for a few months and it was just gathering dust (i do prefer my books!) but after a while i started to play with it and now have it full of old classics and all sorts of books i never would have read otherwise, many of which i will surely purchase in future to add to my 'real' library.

If you own a kindle.. then Calibre is a must. It can convert your books to many different formats, eg epub/pdf > mobi etc and does it quite well. it also has the added benefit of storing a copy of each book on your computer in it's own library which you can catalog and tag.

more resources/apps and hacks in the links below

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/08/28/the-big-list-of-free-kindle-tools/
    http://www.collegedegrees.com/blog/2008/06/17/hack-your-kindle-100-tips-resources-and-tutorials-to-get-more-out-of-the-amazon-kindle/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I got rid of most of my books once I went to e-books (about 2 years ago). I held on to a few books that were either hard to find as ebooks, large art/history books and one or two with sentimental value, but otherwise I got rid of them.

I think it's brilliant, but I value not having a lot of clutter as I move house fairly frequently.

There is one problem in that my bookcase was often a conversation starter - but you know, you can find other alternatives.

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Just on an aside here, but I will not buy an ereader - for reasons listed here, but also I have a book from 1983 and it still works. I seem to remember something like a ZX81 about that time - these are mostly not working now. Will chargers be available in 5 years time? One thing that has followed throughout all the changes in IT (look back at all the changes) is Backup. So....1400 books - for how long? I am no technophobe, but give me something that will copy what I own so I can bring it on a low load trip - knowing that it will become useless, before me, or books.

This would be one reason that would make me hesitant about getting an ereader. I think future proofing your device will probably be easier the more technologically capable people become, but there is a reason that the industry (well, Amazon) is getting behind the ereaders. If it continues to take off at the rate they claim it's taking off, they can eventually do away with things like second hand books and giving your books to your friends. But the main thing is having to update your technology every three years.

Until I have to travel large distances, I can't see myself giving up paper books. I have far too many that I own still to read, and I know I'll be able to get whatever book far cheaper than an electronic version if I can wait a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Reader1937 wrote: »

Most computer devices from 1983 don't work now, but yet here you are, on a computer without reservation. I presume the computer you're using is your own? I presume you have a mobile phone? Possibly a portable media player? Will their chargers be available in 5 years time?

As for backup, I have thousands of songs backed up and have done so for many many years, it's never been an issue and unless we take a few technological steps backward I can't see it being an issue in the future. Likewise I have thousands of books backed up, on a computer, on an external hard drive, if I want to be extra careful I can back them up online. Also any purchases I make via Amazon are permanently backed up for me and if I lose my kindle, I can just send them straight to a new device. If you leave your book on the bus by accident, will the shop you bought it in give you a new one?

I guess what I'm saying is, your reasons for not buying an ereader are not very good reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is, your reasons for not buying an ereader are not very good reasons.

But your argument would only make sense if you could see the future and know that your back-ups will always be compatible with new technological advances. For example: I 'backed-up' (ahem) a lot of albums onto cassettes back in the early 90s. When I eventually bought a music system that didn't have a cassette player, and because all my old cassette players were broken, I had to get these albums in CD format. There's stronger compatibility between CDs and digital music, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. As long as in changing format, the user has to invest some form of money in the process, we should be fine. Another example would be NASA and their terrible record of keeping documentation about the moonwalk. A lot of that information is lost (possibly forever) because there is no hardware to read the software that they kept the information on.

In addition to all that, I think the main point is that the previous poster has a book which will always be compatible to his or her needs. Regardless of whether the chargers will still be usable in five years, chances are you'll be spending a certain proportion of money just to read a book. The benefits to ereaders mean this isn't a problem for a lot of people, but for others it's still not enough.

Most computer devices from 1983 don't work now, but yet here you are, on a computer without reservation. I presume the computer you're using is your own? I presume you have a mobile phone? Possibly a portable media player? Will their chargers be available in 5 years time?

As for backup, I have thousands of songs backed up and have done so for many many years, it's never been an issue and unless we take a few technological steps backward I can't see it being an issue in the future. Likewise I have thousands of books backed up, on a computer, on an external hard drive, if I want to be extra careful I can back them up online. Also any purchases I make via Amazon are permanently backed up for me and if I lose my kindle, I can just send them straight to a new device. If you leave your book on the bus by accident, will the shop you bought it in give you a new one?

Not a luddite cell in my body, just seen so much Tech I know its about picking what works. Books may go (I hear Borders just closed) but they are still the cheapest long term piece of recording tech available. I liked Tobys (Take a bow) post - there is an earning point in the ereader. Upgrades may cost later. Good luck to those who do buy them - great for people who need light trips and have little space. Just don't leave them on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

I've had friends argue this with me and they take the same approach you have - my reasons for not wanting one aren't good enough reasons.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference and choice. I prefer to have a physical book in my hands. I like the feel of turning the pages, the smell of the paper, etc. I don't like the idea of an ereader. I've tried it and I don't like it. It is really that simple. You might not think my reasons are good enough but it doesn't matter. My decision not to use an ereader is my decision. It doesn't affect anyone else.

As to the main topic - I would agree with those who suggest contacting the library first. I donated some stuff to the ILAC and one of the staff there said they have to turn so many people away because they just arrive in with piles of stuff that the library already has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I was one of those people who always swore they's never get rid of their collection, it has followed me from flat to flat to house and abroad. I love and reread them all.

Boxed em up two years ago, sold them, gave what was left away, and never ever looked back! I now own about six books... mainly signed and or first editions.

Did the same with CDs and DVDs too. The best thing I ever did. Spent the money on and iPad which I now use for music, movies, books and graphic novels.

So liberating. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The talk above about back ups etc is largely meaningless.

So what if you want a copy of Hamlet, or Watchmen, or Dude where's my Car? It's all available online.

The idea of "your copy" meaning anything is becoming less and less relevant. Formats will change, backups will fail, but everything will be available if you need it.

iTunes match means I don't even backup my music library anymore. If I want it I can get it.

Advertisement