Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of your books

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

3DataModem wrote: »
    The talk above about back ups etc is largely meaningless.

So what if you want a copy of Hamlet, or Watchmen, or Dude where's my Car? It's all available online.

The idea of "your copy" meaning anything is becoming less and less relevant. Formats will change, backups will fail, but everything will be available if you need it.

iTunes match means I don't even backup my music library anymore. If I want it I can get it.

If you have a copy online, its a backup. Books are going out of fashion, but I was rarely a follower of fashions. I do not disparage any use of tech, but its a choice, every time. The server or cloud base of data storage will move on to another medium to generate another string of revenue - thats just economics. As a matter of personal choice I pay for a book once. I can buy more books that way. The choice isn't purely economic, I do like the asthetics of the book in hand. I do not need what is currently being sold as a better option. This is of course, off the thread topic. Sure, go with the library for a donation, or perhaps a second hand bookshop donation - they may need all the help they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I think you may have slightly misunderstood... I don't have a physical or electronic or online backup copy of "I Robot" for example. I just know - now and 'forever' - that a copy will be available instantly online to me whenever I need it, in the format of the day. To me there is virtually no benefit in storing a copy electronically myself, locally or online.,

If you prefer paperware, cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I don't have a physical or electronic or online backup copy of "I Robot" for example. I just know - now and 'forever' - that a copy will be available instantly online to me whenever I need it, in the format of the day.

And you're probably right. My point was that we don't know what's around the corner.

Things change. And sometimes formats do, too. As has been seen in the past. Everything's cloud now, which is great, but a lot of companies are working towards trying to get you to pay for that. They'll probably fail. But we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

I think you may have slightly misunderstood... I don't have a physical or electronic or online backup copy of "I Robot" for example. I just know - now and 'forever' - that a copy will be available instantly online to me whenever I need it, in the format of the day. To me there is virtually no benefit in storing a copy electronically myself, locally or online.,

If you prefer paperware, cool.
    Thank you for the reply. A vast expanse between imply and infer. We just made different choices. A question just occurred to me. Can you "lend" someone an ebook? Not that I agree with the idea of private lending of course. In theory, yes. In reality though its more like "giving". I understand this may be taken as a swipe at ereading, but it is not. I shall look into ereading some more. On thread - you could advertise on boards.ie - books sold there.

Advertisement