Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem charging new ipad

• 06-04-2012 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I have my new iPad (3) just over a week and I love it. However I'm wondering if there's a problem with it when it comes to charging it. It charged up to 100% when I first got it but since then, when I try to charge it, last night for example, I had it plugged in for two hours and it only went from 39% to 69%. The plug itself was very hot to touch where the USB lead joins the plug.

Problem with the charger or iPad? Can I use the charger for my iPhone on the iPad instead?

The iPad was in sleep mode with the apple cover closed on it when charging btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It does seem to take ages to charge, alright. I haven't noticed any heat from the plug, though I've noticed the apple adaptor is sticky to get out of the iPad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I have a new iPad 3 aswell and all it says is "not charging" when i plug in in ???

wtf ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have my new iPad (3) just over a week and I love it. However I'm wondering if there's a problem with it when it comes to charging it. It charged up to 100% when I first got it but since then, when I try to charge it, last night for example, I had it plugged in for two hours and it only went from 39% to 69%. The plug itself was very hot to touch where the USB lead joins the plug.

Problem with the charger or iPad? Can I use the charger for my iPhone on the iPad instead?

The iPad was in sleep mode with the apple cover closed on it when charging btw.

It takes along time to charge the battery on iPad3. The iPhone charger will take twice as long as there is only half the power going through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jcf wrote: »
    I have a new iPad 3 aswell and all it says is "not charging" when i plug in in ???

wtf ??
    Plug it into the wall using the supplied adapter. It won't charge via your PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

ah yes, panic averted, I didn't realise one was supplied :p

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    The iPhone charger will take twice as long as there is only half the power going through it.
    Really?

Are they not identical? Crap - I have no idea which one is which. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iPad adapter is a lot bigger and blockier than the iPhone one. Unless you have a first or second gen iPhone, there's no confusing them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dades wrote: »
    Really?

Are they not identical? Crap - I have no idea which one is which. :pac:

The iPad one will say 10W

The iPad adapter is a lot bigger and blockier than the iPhone one. Unless you have a first or second gen iPhone, there's no confusing them.

My iPad 2 and iPhone 4 adapters are exactly the same apart from the writing

I dunno. My 3GS and 4S adapters were the same. Nothing like the iPad one which is basically a smaller version of the MacBook adapter.

• Advertisement

So the correct power adapter isn't one of those slim USB-to-plug type ones, but the one that has the block that plug slides onto?

I think that's the one I've been using OP, and charging still takes a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My iPad 3 charger is very different from my iPhone 4 charger. No mistaking the two.

irlrobins wrote: »
    My iPad 3 charger is very different from my iPhone 4 charger. No mistaking the two.

Sorry, my bad. I was talking about iPad 2. I haven't seen the iPad 3 adapter yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

iPad 2 and iPad 3 adapters are the block type adapters, iPhone chargers are the slim plugs. The Ipad changers will saw 10W on them.
    @Whiterebel you must have the wrong charger for one of your devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I watched a teardown today that showed the new iPad battery is 42 watt hours - a whole lot bigger than the iPad 2's 25 watt hours - so that's why it takes so much longer than the iPad 2 to charge, and why you won't be able to charge quickly from an iPhone charger or at all a USB port on your PC (which is what I'm currently doing verry slooowly with my iPad 1).

jamesd wrote: »
    iPad 2 and iPad 3 adapters are the block type adapters, iPhone chargers are the slim plugs. The Ipad changers will saw 10W on them.
    @Whiterebel you must have the wrong charger for one of your devices.

Nope, originals as got with both devices. Only difference is plug connection is thicker on one. Adapter itself is exactly the same. Both genuine Apple. iPhone 4 is release date as is iPad 2.

Edit: My apologies. I went to check the iPhone 4 box, and found what you're all talking about.....:o I was using either the iPhone 3G or an iPod Touch charger, and the ipad 2 charger which have the plug sliding on to the little adapter. The iPhone 4 one is very neat. Thank you all, I will start using this one now:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It actually does charge very very slowly when connected via USB, however the draw is so low that once you put the screen on it stops charging. So you'll never see it actually charging, but it will slowly go up. iPad 3 is incredibly slow, a few % per hour tho so it's fairly pointless. I think some laptops or older ports may not work at all tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Danbo! wrote: »
    It actually does charge very very slowly when connected via USB, however the draw is so low that once you put the screen on it stops charging. So you'll never see it actually charging, but it will slowly go up. iPad 3 is incredibly slow, a few % per hour tho so it's fairly pointless. I think some laptops or older ports may not work at all tho.

I plugged mine into the pc yesterday to put some ebooks on iBooks. It said not charging beside the battery. Are you sure it does?

It needs to be high power USB port or it won't charge at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I plugged mine into the pc yesterday to put some ebooks on iBooks. It said not charging beside the battery. Are you sure it does?

Like I said, you cant 'see' it charge because once the screen is on it stops charging and displays 'not charging'. And as sad professor pointed out, only high power usb ports work. If you leave it charging with the screen off and the percentage goes up slowly, its working but again, is so bloody slow you'll be waiting all day for any sort of decent charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just for clarity;

This is the current iPhone UK/Ireland charging plug:

v85.0-320x320.jpg

And this is the current iPad UK/Ireland charging plug:

IPAD2-775-5.jpg

The new iPad does take a lot longer to charge because of the increased battery capacity due to mainly to the new Retina screen. I leave mine sitting in the Dock and it charges at roughly a quarter of the speed of my iPhone 4.

Advertisement