Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield to airport in a taxi, Wed 6.30pm

Options
  • 06-04-2012 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Could anyone give me a rough approximation on how long it'd take me to get from the Smithfield area of Dublin city centre to Dublin airport in a taxi on a Wednesday evening, leaving at approx 6.30pm.

I'm not in Dublin much during the week so I'm pretty clueless about the traffic situation. Just wondering if I'll possibly be cutting it a bit to fine to make my flight...

Also I'm flying out of terminal 2... anyone had any bad experiences regarding long queues for security there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what time is your flight?

6.30 is still rush hour, so I'd be giving it about an hour, if not more, as the roads will still be fairly busy around the North Side at that time, with all the commuters from Swords and beyond, near the airport.

It doesn't matter which Terminal, as once you get to the airport it will be easy.

The taxi will probably come out

Dorset Street --> Drumcondra Road --> M1 --> Airport

Dorset St can be a nightmare, Drumcondra is busy as far as the M1, and the M1 is busy as far as Lusk, which is past the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Get the Luas to Bus Aras, flag a taxi, ask him to use the port tunnel. Total journey around 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Yikes, I have been underestimating things. Flight is at 20.55.

Thanks for your replies! I may have to see if I can skive off work early so.

Edit: Just realised its actually a Thursday evening instead of a Wednesday which will probably make things worse again. Darn!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree about getting the Luas and a taxi to the airport via the port tunnel. But I'd take the Luas all the way to The Point and get the taxi from there. The Gibson Hotel is beside the Luas stop so there are usually taxis knocking around. If you get the taxi at Busaras, you'll waste time sitting in traffic on the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

taxis have a set fare from oconnell st of E20.

Get it from elsewhere and they may try to sting you on the meter for the same distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree about getting the Luas and a taxi to the airport via the port tunnel. But I'd take the Luas all the way to The Point and get the taxi from there. The Gibson Hotel is beside the Luas stop so there are usually taxis knocking around. If you get the taxi at Busaras, you'll waste time sitting in traffic on the quays

Maybe even order a taxi to the gibson, as far as I remember some of the taxi companies do 25% discounts to the airport and you should fly out from there, only problem is the toll is wicked expensive at that time.

Thanks guys, food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

What about the airlink? It goes through the port tunnel. You could pick it up at busaras or down at the point and it's only 6 euro. Probably not the best option if you're stuck for time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

shangri la wrote: »

Get it from elsewhere and they may try to sting you on the meter for the same distance.

Sting you on the meter ? WTF ? Taxis legally have to use the meter, thats why they are Taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

A taxi at that time of the evening isn't going to take any more than 20 minutes to do that route so the traffic is of little matter, without taking into account that by 18:30 it'll be starting to become lighter.

It's bus lane all the way, give or take a few meters around Drumcondra in a couple of spots.

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    What about the airlink? It goes through the port tunnel. You could pick it up at busaras or down at the point and it's only 6 euro. Probably not the best option if you're stuck for time though.

Actually I completely forgot, the Aircoach also goes from beside the Gibson, think its €6 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cycle. (If you don't have any luggage)

No taxi fare.

It will take 40 mins.

No parking charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I never heard of this

There are fixed price firms out there who do special deals but that doesn't apply to every taxi out there

Anyway that Gresham rank has a reputation and it's one I'd agree with. The one taxi rank in Dublin that I always avoid
    You don't pick the taxi, the man with the puffed out chest and standing like an army general and surrounded by his lieutenants tells you which taxi to take

mikemac1 wrote: »

I never heard of this

There are fixed price firms out there who do special deals but that doesn't apply to every taxi out there

Anyway that Gresham rank has a reputation and it's one I'd agree with. The one taxi rank in Dublin that I always avoid
    You don't pick the taxi, the man with the puffed out chest and standing like an army general and surrounded by his lieutenants tells you which taxi to take

There is no set fare, a couple of the taxi drivers on O'Connell St and Eden Quay have signs saying approximately €20 to the airport for 4 people, with €20 in huge writing and approx. in very small writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

mmcn90 wrote: »
    There is no set fare, a couple of the taxi drivers on O'Connell St and Eden Quay have signs saying approximately €20 to the airport for 4 people, with €20 in huge writing and approx. in very small writing.

The taxi rank at Eden Quay has a clear big sign stating that taxis from that rank charge fixed 20 quid fares to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Get the Luas to Bus Aras, flag a taxi, ask him to use the port tunnel. Total journey around 45 mins.

The luas will take ten - fifteen minutes to get to busaras or the point, and a taxi will take 10-15 to get to the airport via the tunnel. How could it add up to 45 minutes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

I take the 16a to the airport, it takes about 25 - 30min and costs €2.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Used to live in Smithfield and regularly take taxis, €25 approx booked.

6.30 You should be fine for a 20.55 flight, will take 20 - 30 minutes, so unless you are transatlantic you are grand for 6.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Joko wrote: »
    I take the 16a to the airport, it takes about 25 - 30min and costs ?2.15.
    2.65 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

2.65 now.

I use the Travel 90 tickets, which is €2.15 per journey (actually I was able to buy a pre fare change ticket today at Trinity; so €1.90 per journey).

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    mmcn90 wrote: »

The taxi rank at Eden Quay has a clear big sign stating that taxis from that rank charge fixed 20 quid fares to the airport.

And unless its changed recently, beside that very big €20, it says in lovely small letters, approximately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Joko wrote: »
    I take the 16a to the airport, it takes about 25 - 30min and costs €2.15.

Don't get the 16a, it goes via Beaumont and adds 15 mins due to this detour as Collins avenue is usually jammed at rush hour.

If you are getting a bus get the 14 from abbey street outside the lotto headquarters? Also as the 41 starts from abbey you aren't left waiting around and as its the first stop can be easier to find a place for your bag

MadsL wrote: »
    Used to live in Smithfield and regularly take taxis, €25 approx booked.

6.30 You should be fine for a 20.55 flight, will take 20 - 30 minutes, so unless you are transatlantic you are grand for 6.30pm.

Yea I was originally thinking something similar to this. The flight isn't to the states.

I think I'll just go down a different route altogether and drive to the airport. I'll be coming from outside the city earlier in the day so I can hop on the M50 and head up to the airport that way. I'll get someone to pick up my car from there the following weekend. I was hoping to stop in Smithfield to park my car there and drop some stuff off but its looking like I'll be cutting it a little too fine.
    Mongfinder wrote:
    Cycle. (If you don't have any luggage)

No taxi fare.

It will take 40 mins.

No parking charges.
    I'll have a big ass 70litre rucksack with me so probably not most practical option for me.:D I also am lacking a bike!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

A taxi to the airport at that time from Smithfield will take you about 30 minutes.Straight out through Drumcondra,bus lane most of the way.I regularlry take taxis to the airport at that time from that general area.
    Getting a taxi to use the tunnel at that time will cost you an extra €10 toll. and it's out of your way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So, (he asks casually) how did it work out?

MadsL wrote: »
    So, (he asks casually) how did it work out?

Its actually a few weeks away. Just trying to get everything organised in advance. I'll have to harass a family member or friend to go collect my car from the airport if I need to drive as I'll be away for a good while. So doing some forward planning (for once)!

Advertisement