Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB Report - Holding Back Mortgage Application

Options
  • 06-04-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Due to student loan(s) payment delays in 2008, I've a bad ICB rating.

To be exact, my ICB report is clear since Aug 2008, but up till then I've a couple of payments 1 month delayed, and a couple 2 months.

In talking to brokers, they've basically pawned me off, saying there's no point applying for a mortgage.

2 questions I guess:

1 - is there any point in applying or is it actually pointless.

2 - come Aug 2013 (5 years since last bad entry) will my credit score be clean and I'll be able to apply immediately? Or will I have to wait another 3-6 months as a 'cooling off' period?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

connundrum wrote: »

To be exact, my ICB report is clear since Aug 2008, but up till then I've a couple of payments 1 month delayed, and a couple 2 months.

In talking to brokers, they've basically pawned me off, saying there's no point applying for a mortgage.

2 questions I guess:

2 - come Aug 2013 (5 years since last bad entry) will my credit score be clean and I'll be able to apply immediately? Or will I have to wait another 3-6 months as a 'cooling off' period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

testicle wrote: »

2 questions I guess:

Has any financial institution lent money to you since 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

killers1 wrote: »
    Has any financial institution lent money to you since 2008?

Yep, since then I've been isued a credit card, taken (and repaid) 4 loans from my ICB linked Credit Union, and had one small loan from AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Yep, since then I've been isued a credit card, taken (and repaid) 4 loans from my ICB linked Credit Union, and had one small loan from AIB.

We'll that should be your argument when applying for the new loan. The fact that you had arrears a long time ago (as a student) but have since become more financially responsible and have a clean track record as evidenced in 6 facilities repaid in good order since. If the student loan was that big an issue you wouldn't have been issued further loans since then... You've probably spoken to brokers and said I have a bad arrears history and their natural reaction was a bank won't lend to you with a bad history. Although you can show that 6 facilities have been repaid in good order since might overcome the previous issue..

Advertisement