Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's open on Good Friday for tourists?

Options
  • 06-04-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

A friend flew in from Oz last night, and I'm working today so can't play host.

Obviously the bars and lots of other places are shut, but what's open for a tourist today in terms of attractions, exhibitions, shows, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Swamped by suggestions!

I'll try in AH, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Everything's open bar the pubs. Suggest he goes on the Viking Splash tour (you can hop on at St Patrick's Cathedral). Maybe suggest he goes to see Patrick's Cathedral (for the day that's in it) and get a sandwich/coffee from Bite of Life (lovely, lovely sandwiches) and sit in the park if it's nice (or in Bite of Life if it's not). I'm not sure if you can hop on/off on the Viking Splash tour, but other attractions would include: Dublin Castle (you can pay for tours), the Dublin Museum (on the north side of Stephen's Green), maybe in the evening a play in the Abbey, or a more alternative one in that theatre beside Connolly Books. Art galleries of interest: IMMA, National Gallery. The Natural History Museum is reopened and the stairs probably won't collapse when he's there.

I realise they're fairly obvious suggestions, but if he's a tourist he might appreciate some of them. Especially Bite of Life. Bacon Melt and a large coffee. Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Swamped by suggestions!

I'll try in AH, so.
    1 hour later, in the AM, when most people are off work. I hope wherever you're going doesn't have long queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

There's still tickets available for today's showing of Avenue Q in the Grand Canal Theatre (or whatever they're calling themselves these days:rolleyes:), would highly recommend it.
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180047098CDB0FCA?artistid=973986&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=207

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's room on one of our buses tonight to Dundalk for Dundalk -v- Shels if they want to come along, tell them to pop down to Tolka for 5.45.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Everything is open in Dublin City Centre. Place is thronged with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

church for the stations..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bar wasn't open in Grand Canal Theatre - anyone know why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

athtrasna wrote: »
    Bar wasn't open in Grand Canal Theatre - anyone know why?

Because it was Good Friday and all the bars, pubs and off licences were shut today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Because it was Good Friday and all the bars, pubs and off licences were shut today.

Theatre bars are among the exceptions - which is why I asked the question! http://publin.ie/2012/on-the-matter-of-good-friday/

• Advertisement
Advertisement