Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL: 2012 Playoffs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That's the maximum fine allow under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. They raised it up from the $1000 that it used to be.

But surely the lack of suspension is outrageous? All this talk on headshots has really blown over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

^^^Yep I agree with you Joe, he should have got a few games at least for that hit. I thought he would have gotten a suspension since Shanahan has been coming down hard on others who have targeted the head during the season. It was an intentional blow and seeing it was the end of the game there was no need whatsoever for it. He's lucky just to have been fined IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

But surely the lack of suspension is outrageous?

I think its crazy that no suspension was issued here, luckily for the sake of the series, Zetterberg seems to be fit to play next match...

its bound to be a fiery encounter next match, weber will have to be careful for the rest of the preds run in the playoffs, but realistically should be banned now for at least 3 matches...

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    But surely the lack of suspension is outrageous?

I think its crazy that no suspension was issued here, luckily for the sake of the series, Zetterberg seems to be fit to play next match...

It is outrageous, definitely, the fine is a token gesture. But not entirely unexpected.

“The standard of what is illegal or legal doesn’t change. When you suspend a player during the regular season, you’re suspending him over 82 games,” Shanahan said at the meetings. “[In the playoffs], you’re looking at things in seven-game clumps. It’s a seven-game season each series.”

The fact that Zetterberg wasn't injured is almost definitely the reason that there was no suspension. If he had missed games, Weber would have too. No doubt about that. It's easier not to make the call than to make it.

The most worrying thing is the precedent it sets now, the NHL will have nobody to blame if there is a similar incident that causes a serious injury.

PS - Welcome to boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

No matter what the the timing of what part of the season the hit took place, he should have been suspended.

Just because it is the play offs should not matter, it was cynical, disgusting and not something I would have expected from Shea Weber. ( maybe Sean Avery )

Anyway it should not take away from what was a fantastic night of hockey. It had everything, upsets, comeback and the type of excitement that makes this sport so special.

Roll on tonight, this play-off season is gonna be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Anybody, got the schedule for Setanta? Was hoping they would show the Rangers game tonight but it ain't gonna happen. Still think we will get by in 5-6 games with Hank in goal.

Pens lost last night to the Flyers. Wasn't expecting that, to be honest. Don't know what it is about the Flyers but they seem to pull out all the stops when it comes to the Pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Penalties killed us last night. Stupid stuff for most of them. We were the better team, comfortably, 5 on 5.

Frustrating. Daniel is a big loss.

It's all bruins tonight, but the longer we go without scoring the nervous I am getting.

Gotta keep being patient and keep firing those pucks on net. Holtby has been good for the Caps so far, but I think we need to create some better screens, he is seeing to much.

yeah i agree, alot of shots on goal but no really good chances in which they should have scored...

caps pk has been fantastic so far, ovi not getting a chance to show his stuff on the offence, should be an interesting 3rd!

How did the Caps fare in the end? Could they have won it?

It goes without saying that I'd really love to see Boston out early.

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    How did the Caps fare in the end? Could they have won it?

ah they could have won it yeah, were by far the better in the 3rd, had a couple decent chances, defence ruled the game on both sides...

if the caps keep defending and keep their pk at this intensity, no reason why they cant sneak a few wins and give themselves a good chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Devils fan, first time posting here.

Getting excited for tonight, after missing out on the playoffs last season we're going into this years playoffs off the back of 6 straight wins. Zajac came back from his injury at just the right time, our first and second lines are looking really good going into this series.

Have to admit I'm rooting for the Bruins over Caps (who are close enough to my 2nd team) because that'll mean we're the lowest seeded team going into round two, which means we'll get the Rags. That'll be a pretty epic series and I'd fancy our chances against the Rangers a lot more than against Boston.

I kinda got a feeling for the panthers in this one. I know the devils have been on a surge of late, but this will be a huge game from a Panthers point of view.

So long out of the playoffs, this game will be treated like a final for them, and they will be gunning from the start. I reckon Panthers tonight by 3-2.

I reckon NJ will go all the way to the final. Take this series in 5.

Canucks to bounce back tonight. Will take the series in 6 or 7.

Not too dissimilar a situation in Game 2 of the Pens series, 3-1 at the end of 1. Only in the door but from the coverage it sounds like the Pens are really dominating.

4-4 after two periods, definitely looking like the matchup of the first round. Two SHG's shared by Talbot and Giroux, each assisting on the others, two goals six seconds apart also for Giroux and Kunitz. Can't take your eyes off this one.

jonathan quick and dustin brown rule the roost in vancouver, 2 0 lead back to LA... lovely, hope to see vancouver out, love watching kings, they just need to keep the pks working last night(2 shg) and they should win this series in 5 or 6...

hoping for a caps win this evening and hopefully see the bruins out early this campaign... be tough though, caps just need more play like the 3rd the last night and they could do it...

Pretty devastating defeat for the Pens last night, great game though. They need two victories in Philly or that'll be that I reckon.

yeah think the series could be over anyway, two very bad defeats, giving away way too many goals, poor defensively...

dont think the pens have beaten philly in pittsburgh this year yet(5 games)

cant afford to lose that many games at home to a rival!!!

Schneids to start Game 3. Very harsh on Luongo, he's getting no support. Kes in particular has been awful. Think we're as good as out anyway. The problems with scoring have been long standing.

• Advertisement

This Flyers Pens game is a storm. Absolute mayhem.

I can see this game getting really out of hand. 72 minutes of penalties in the first period, 6 goals, something else to watch. But the bad blood here between these is really spilling over.

On the other hand, the Cap and Bruins game last night was another thriller, I had a feeling the Caps were gonna take it. Sure gonna make for an interesting game 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

This Flyers Pens game is a storm. Absolute mayhem.

I can see this game getting really out of hand. 72 minutes of penalties in the first period, 6 goals, something else to watch. But the bad blood here between these is really spilling over.

This game is mayhem alright. End of the 2nd, 6-4! Great entertainment. I think the Pens have enough to in this match, they've been very sloppy on their last two PKs. Let's see what the 3rd period brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Penalties everywhere, this is a chaotic game. Philly will win this in 4 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

eire1 wrote: »
    This game is mayhem alright. End of the 2nd, 6-4! Great entertainment. I think the Pens have enough to in this match, they've been very sloppy on their last two PKs. Let's see what the 3rd period brings.

Game over for the Pens, 8-4 now. Amazed that they are 3-0 down in the series. Some amount of penalties in the game. It took the announcer 30 secs to read out the last lot. I think the Caps will do Boston also. Pens have lost all form of composure.

Im delighted here , my cousin is also over from Philly, we cant believe that we are 3 - 0 up . Scoring 20 goals in 3 games ! !

I can't do this. Knew we wouldn't do well this year, but JESUS. Just cannot see us turning this around.

What's incredibly annoying is that it's all there, and we just can't score. It's been coming, we haven't been playing well offensively since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

tolosenc wrote: »
    I reckon NJ will go all the way to the final. Take this series in 5.

Canucks to bounce back tonight. Will take the series in 6 or 7.

If they cant pull even a single win out of the series, ill be pissed. LA should not being sweeping this series. Its unbelievable. Not having Daniel is a loss but none of them look to be in playoff mode.

Crapbag wrote: »
    If they cant pull even a single win out of the series, ill be pissed. LA should not being sweeping this series. Its unbelievable. Not having Daniel is a loss but none of them look to be in playoff mode.

Nothing to do with not having Daniel. Our PP is 10/144 since we beat Boston in January. That's just insane, given that 2 of those conversions were in the last game at home to Edmonton. Daniel missed roughly 1/3 of those games.

We are comfortably the better team in this series, we just are getting no bounces and not scoring. If we'd won 6-1 on Sunday night you couldn't say it was an unfair result.

That said, Daniel to pick up 8 points tomorrow... :)

is he defintly confirmed to play tomorrow night, i know he's practicing today but that doesn't mean he's fit to play a match, and don't think he'd be fit to take a shot like brown hit henrik the last night...

still think (and hope) the kings take it tomorrow night, quick is too good and the nucks offense doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders...

• Advertisement

No idea if he is playing. He says he's 100%, the only thing keeping him out is protocol. Desperate times and all that...

If he plays and we get a couple of PP goals in the 1st, the series could get turned on it's head. If we win G4, we'll take G5 as well.

Don't want the sweep as I think the team should hear all about it from their own fans after this big of a flop.

Advertisement