Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bored of the Titanic Are You?

• 06-04-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously just go and ****ing sink will ya! (whadyoumeanitsank?) Everywhere I look, listen and read its the ****ing Titanic, while I applaud the Nordies for their genius for turning a world famous disaster that killed 1500 people into a money spinner I have just about had it up to the top of my bulkhead with all the BS about this boat, right now on RTE radio they are discussing the posh 8 course meals eaten on board which is going to be recreated at Kingstown Harbour Yacht Club‎! (yes seriously)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

about as bored as I am with your moma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

about as bored as I am with your moma

Hey I call her my sweet big titanic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mike65 wrote: »
    Seriously just go and ****ing sink will ya! (whadyoumeanitsank?) Everywhere I look, listen and read its the ****ing Titanic, while I applaud the Nordies for their genius for turning a world famous disaster that killed 1500 people into a money spinner I have just about had it up to the top of my bulkhead with all the BS about this boat, right now on RTE radio they are discussing the posh 8 course meals eaten on board which are going to be recreated at Kingstown Harbour Yacht Club‎! (yes seriously)

So you wont be interested in then that they are Re-releasing the Movie in 3D then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This thread is going the same way as The Titanic :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

irish-stew wrote: »
    So you wont be interested in then that they are Re-releasing the Movie in 3D then.

I can see two issues - one its the Titanic and two its in 3-D.

Its a famous disaster we never tire of disasters, I'm bored of 9/11 or have I said that to soon after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

It crass, insensitive and pretty tasteless, imo.

"event: MTV Presents Titanic Sounds
    date: Friday, 13 April 2012
    tickets: sold out
    mtv2.jpg.aspx?width=319&height=187
    Fresh from bringing Belfast `the biggest party in the world` with the incredible EMA, MTV is returning in April for another blistering night. Once again shining the global spotlight on our city, MTV will be staging a dynamite night of live music against the stunning backdrop of the Slipways."

Cringe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Il Trap wrote: »

Well it's hardly "too soon"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fresh from bringing Belfast `the biggest party in the world` with the incredible EMA, MTV is returning in April for another blistering night. Once again shining the global spotlight on our city, MTV will be staging a dynamite night of live music against the stunning backdrop of the Slipways."

Cringe...
    Titanic sounds
    Crashing, screaming, crying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

irish-stew wrote: »

Hopefully they'll see the iceberg this time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing says hundreds dead in freezing water quite like an MTV special I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

mike65 wrote: »
    Seriously just go and ****ing sink will ya! (whadyoumeanitsank?) Everywhere I look, listen and read its the ****ing Titanic, while I applaud the Nordies for their genius for turning a world famous disaster that killed 1500 people into a money spinner I have just about had it up to the top of my bulkhead with all the BS about this boat, right now on RTE radio they are discussing the posh 8 course meals eaten on board which is going to be recreated at Kingstown Harbour Yacht Club‎! (yes seriously)

I know yeah - its not like its the 100 year anniversary of the maiden voyage of the worlds most famous ship or anything. Its their year, just ****ing get it over it and let them have it!! And yes to be fair they have done a fantastic job of turning it into a real moneyspinner and fair play to them if the titanic had of been built in ireland our govt. probably would have sold the rights to the story and all profits from any tourist attraction for €20 and a packet of cheese and ungyun taytos.

Titanic sounds
    Crashing, screaming, crying

'a pandemonium of /Prams, pianos, sideboards, winches, /Boilers bursting and shredded ragtime' - Derek Mahon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

44leto wrote: »
    Its a famous disaster we never tire of disasters, I'm bored of 9/11 or have I said that to soon after it?

Kate and Leo should be reunited for a 9/11 3D effort. Her on top of one of the towers with the wind whistling up her frock and Leo giving her a shove, just before two icebergs crash into the towers. Fucking epic.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Kate and Leo should be reunited for a 9/11 3D effort. Her on top of one of the towers with the wind whistling up her frock and Leo giving her a shove, just before two icebergs crash into the towers. Fucking epic.

You could also put them on fire in a New York Earthquake

The "Earthquake of the Titanic towering inferno"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Will Kate Winslets boobs be 3D too? :pac:

smash wrote: »
    Well it's hardly "too soon"...
    Nothing to do with being 'too soon'. It was a massive tragedy in which 1500 people died horrifically. The whole Titanic 'celebration' thing is very inappropriate in my opinion. An insensitive, plastic money-spinner, no matter how they try and dress it up.

How about next year we organise 'Famine-fest' with tours of workhouses and recreations of evictions. Get MTV in for a 'Coffin Ship Extravaganza'...

Will Kate Winslets boobs be 3D too? :o

Carefull now. That nipple might take your eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Cringe...

Precisely.
    A little restraint and respect would be more appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

I have to say I am loving all the fuss about the Titanic, really interested in it & am very excited to head up to Belfast in the Summer to check out the exhibition

its great for Belfast, titanic is huge & world wide and it can only mean positive things for a city that has been though alot

I have to say I am loving all the fuss about the Titanic, really interested in it & am very excited to head up to Belfast in the Summer to check out the exhibition

its great for Belfast, titanic is huge & world wide and it can only mean positive things for a city that has been though alot

I seen a bit about that museum on the 6-1 I have to say its a beautiful building, the museum maybe worth a drive up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Reading this thread I am getting that sinking feeling that all is not well here,

realies wrote: »
    Reading this thread I am getting that sinking feeling that all is not well here,

Yea it needs something to break the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm from a merchant navy family, I've been told before the officers on the bridge made the wrong call. Instead of calling for the 'port around maneuver' the officers on watch should have rammed the berg head on. That way the ship would have took damage and been immobilised and took on water but wouldn't have sunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _dutch_gold

very

I'm from a merchant navy family, I've been told before the officers on the bridge made the wrong call. Instead of calling for the 'port around maneuver' the officers on watch should have rammed the berg head on. That way the ship would have took damage and been immobilised and took on water but wouldn't have sunk.

isnt it a shame they were not running the show so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It was a great example of Ulster work ethic at that time. It should rightly be celebrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

KeithAFC wrote: »
    It was a great example of Ulster negligence at that time. It should rightly be celebrated.

FYP :pac:

It was a great example of Ulster work ethic at that time. It should rightly be celebrated.

it did sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Belfast should just go ahead and officially change the name of the city to "Titanic"

it did sink
    These things happen though Lily. Still was amazing in its day. Belfast can be proud that it built the most famous ship in history. Well that and HMS Duke of Wellington.

These things happen though Lily. Still was amazing in its day. Belfast can be proud that it built the most famous ship in history. Well that and HMS Duke of Wellington.

This is true, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

How true is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

its true , head on it would have survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

How true is this?
    Makes sense because the front of the ship would be more structurally sound for taking collisions. But who knows if they knew that or in a panic assumed they couldnt take a head on collision.

Anyway I understand why people are so interested in titanic. I am too.
    But the amount of merchandising is sickening. Museums are one thing. Drinks and things being sold with titanic written on it is sick. I imagine the descendants of people killed are not exactly happy with it. No matter if it was 100 years ago. Would they do this with the Armagh bombings/99-11/London underground disaster? (selling drinks!) I think not because thered be outcry.
    It just feels wrong that people are making money one of the tragic disasters in history and those people's deaths.

So I am sick of hearing about it in a way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm glad Belfast is finally getting some good publicity after years of slow improvement of things up there in the last few years, but the whole blow-up of the Titanic disaster borders on desperate... All the same, if it improves the city's image, it improves people's lives in the city and drums up serious business, then hey, is it so terrible for some good to come from such a disaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

never seen it

what's it about?

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm glad Belfast is finally getting some good publicity after years of slow improvement of things up there in the last few years, but the whole blow-up of the Titanic disaster borders on desperate... All the same, if it improves the city's image, it improves people's lives in the city and drums up serious business, then hey, is it so terrible for some good to come from such a disaster?
    It is Stormont pushing the agenda. I think it should be celebrated but celebrated in taste at how amazing the ship was. Stormont seem determined to make Belfast prosper, while forgetting about the working class people all over Northern Ireland. The wealth is only being spread about in one place.

Shame on them to be honest.

• Advertisement

It is Stormont pushing the agenda. I think it should be celebrated but celebrated in taste at how amazing the ship was. Stormont seem determined to make Belfast prosper, while forgetting about the working class people all over Northern Ireland. The wealth is only being spread about in one place.

Shame on them to be honest.

What would you suggest they do so Keith? Instead?

What would you suggest they do so Keith? Instead?
    Create jobs in more locations in the province. Londonderry/Derry needs more jobs. I am sceptical about the UK culture 2013 in terms of jobs and how that could be just covering up the cracks.

Create jobs in more locations in the province. Londonderry/Derry needs more jobs. I am sceptical about the UK culture 2013 in terms of jobs and how that could be just covering up the cracks.

That doesn't sound very glam though does it, won't get their mush in the papers, or slaps on the back... Lads in charge like a bit of attention... so they do. They want their name attached to summat thats gonna give them a bit of attention

That doesn't sound very glam though does it, won't get their mush in the papers, or slaps on the back... Lads in charge like a bit of attention... so they do. They want their name attached to summat thats gonna give them a bit of attention
    Perfect little relationship going on at the moment on that hill. Pats on the back all round for them seems to be what is going on. I don't understand why seem determined to just focus on Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Load of bollocks. Sick to death of it and Celine Dion screaming that fucking song.

Perfect little relationship going on at the moment on that hill. Pats on the back all round for them seems to be what is going on. I don't understand why seem determined to just focus on Belfast.

Probably because Titanic has World Wide interest & will garner alot of interest for Northern Ireland in general. Something else to focus on other than the troubles, which is positive, I think

[/B]

Probably because Titanic has World Wide interest & will garner alot of interest for Northern Ireland in general. Something else to focus on other than the troubles, which is positive, I think
    This is true. But West Belfast is suffering in terms of unemployment, East Belfast too isn't too well off. Just how will this titanic event improve the lives of the working class?

This is true. But West Belfast is suffering in terms of unemployment, East Belfast too isn't too well off. Just how will this titanic event improve the lives of the working class?

How will it impact on them negatively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

No problem, the ship sank. It's quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thousands of tourists coming into the city and spending lots ofmoney in local businesses generating revenue and room for employment. If it goes well and all them tourists go home harping on about how Belfast was excellent and they would recommend it to their friends and so on it'll do well for tourism in Belfast. More tourists, more money, more business, more employment, better lives for everyone. You can't really say it's not a positive thing from an economic point of view anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement