Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bored of the Titanic Are You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

jumpguy wrote: »
    Tonnes of tourists coming into the city and spending money in local businesses. If it goes well and all them tourists go home harping on about how Belfast was excellent and they would recommend it to their friends and so on it'll do well for tourism in Belfast. More tourists, more money, more business, more employment, better lives for everyone. You can't really say it's not a positive thing from an economic point of view anyway.
    Very short term thinking though? I mean, surely the Titanic high at the moment will end sooner or later?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Very short term thinking though? I mean, surely the Titanic high at the moment will end sooner or later?

It happened a 100 years ago

We still interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As I said, if it goes well it'll do considerable good in improving Belfast's reputation abroad as a tourist destination. There are short-term and long-term benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Saw a bouncy castle/slide combo in the shape of a sinking ship earlier today , great way to teach kids about the disaster lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Lusitania was probably a more interesting and dramatic story, 1200 people died, it was much more luxurious ship and it brought America into the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Owryan wrote: »
    Saw a bouncy castle/slide combo in the shape of a sinking ship earlier today , great way to teach kids about the disaster lol
    Oh God...it is all so cringe... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There's only one scene of that movie that I'm interested in seeing in 3D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This would've worked far better in the movie I feel:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Not so bored, I still find it a fascinating story, the four part mini-series on TV at the moment is quite good.

I'm rather more bored of the Go-Compare man. He needs to go away very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

44leto wrote: »
    The Lusitania was probably a more interesting and dramatic story, 1200 people died, it was much more luxurious ship and it brought America into the war.

A sinking-of-the-Lusitania themed fun-park might be an idea for Wesht Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was a great example of Ulster work ethic at that time. It should rightly be celebrated.

The Ulster ship work was brought up during the accident investigation. Apparently certain bolts weren't fitted properly, maybe Northern Irish incompetence sunk the Dam ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Archeron

Did anyone else read the thread title in a Yoda voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Ulster ship work was brought up during the accident investigation. Apparently certain bolts weren't fitted properly, maybe Northern Irish incompetence sunk the Dam ship.

And if it was built in Dublin it'd still be afloat, right?

Anyway, who gives a crap, there have been far worse maritime disasters. The Titanic was just the first in a long series.

MV Doña Paz
    SS Kiangya
    MV Le Joola

The list goes on and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

on the program i saw today

they said it was the cheap metal specified for the rivets to blame-not the workers

M cebee wrote: »

they said it was the cheap metal specified for the rivets to blame-not the workers

true

I've heard this mentioned on a number of different docs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

mike65 wrote: »
    Seriously just go and ****ing sink will ya! (whadyoumeanitsank?) Everywhere I look, listen and read its the ****ing Titanic, while I applaud the Nordies for their genius for turning a world famous disaster that killed 1500 people into a money spinner I have just about had it up to the top of my bulkhead with all the BS about this boat, right now on RTE radio they are discussing the posh 8 course meals eaten on board which is going to be recreated at Kingstown Harbour Yacht Club‎! (yes seriously)
    I dont hear about Titanic anymore because I dont give a sh1t about it.
    Stop giving sh1t yourself, life will be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

not to mention the fact that the captain sailed full steam ahead despite iceberg
    warnings

and steered the ship sideways into the iceberg

kind of foolish

Rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Bored of 9/11 for ages, not bored of Titanic yet, it's not annoying tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

on the program i saw today they said it was the cheap metal specified for the rivets to blame-not the workers

Ah yes. The 'no true Ulster Scotsman' defence.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Write 4 sentences about the titanic....

It was a ship,
    They said it was the best built ship ever,
    It wasn't,
    It sank.

Absolute balderdash. Do you realize that Olympic was brought to dry dock less than a week after the sinking and it was discovered that she also was containing faulty rivet work, the blame lies with the shipyard and its Ulster employees. Hence Harland and Wolff died a death afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

bigneacy wrote: »
    ...... if the titanic had of been built in ireland our govt.....

...would have paid for my geography grinds...

isnt it a shame they were not running the show so.

Don't get smart with me ok. it's a shame they weren't running things, maybe if the Ships officers were more component this most awful maritime tragedy would never have happened. Believe me it was negligence from her masters that caused this before Harland and Wolff's horrid botch job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Once more...I thankfully didn't open the door... and relevant or not, i think, My heart will go on.. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

When ever I hear Titanic I get a sinking feeling.

Don't get smart with me ok. it's a shame they weren't running things, maybe if the Ships officers were more component this most awful maritime tragedy would never have happened. Believe me it was negligence from her masters that caused this before Harland and Wolff's horrid botch job.

In fairness it's not the world's worst tragedy ever.... think MV Estonia, not the most amount of lives lost but certainly the most amount of lives that should have/could have been saved?

There is too much an element of romance/tragedy combined with this submergence.

In 1912 navigation was relativey poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I'm sick of it too. It's like reading a book once or even twice, not wanting to read it again and then having an irritating narrator following you around Monty Python style reading it outloud over and over. I guess at least it puts Ireland on the map (yet again)but even the movie probably had fu(k all connection with what actually happened. The notion that somebody painted a naked picture of a Kate Winslet lookalike before rogering her and then drowning is purely speculative (apart from the likelihood of drowning).

vicwatson wrote: »
    In fairness it's not the world's worst tragedy ever.... think MV Estonia, not the most amount of lives lost but certainly the most amount of lives that should have/could have been saved?

There is too much an element of romance/tragedy combined with this submergence.

In 1912 navigation was relativey poor.

No navigation was not poor, seamanship is an ancient art form and it was certainly perfected by 1912, hundreds of ships sailed the Atlantic weekly who were in constant communication through morse code. Modern technology as we know it today was non existent.

MV Estonia was a brutal tragedy caused by ill preparation, Brutal sea conditions and utter incompetence from the newly free'd soviet state's crew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Did anyone see the movie in 3D yet? If yes, how was the movie? I'm eager to see it in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Did anyone see the movie in 3D yet? If yes, how was the movie? I'm eager to see it in 3D.

The ship sinks and quite a few people drown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

psychward wrote: »
    The ship sinks and quite a few people drown

Well I know that. But how is the movie in 3D?

No navigation was not poor, seamanship is an ancient art form and it was certainly perfected by 1912, hundreds of ships sailed the Atlantic weekly who were in constant communication through morse code. Modern technology as we know it today was non existent.

MV Estonia was a brutal tragedy caused by ill preparation, Brutal sea conditions and utter incompetence from the newly free'd soviet state's crew.

I did say relatively poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

A ship sank once. Don't care. Can't wait until Celine Dion dies. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

very bored , its a load of crap , a fella I know got dragged to titanic 3d , and said it was complete rubbish , said the waves at the end were the only good thing,

I think theres a part of Irish culture where we just have to hang on to the doom and gloom,

people of the titanic R.I.P ,

lets all leave it at that.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I did say relatively poor.

You did say that and I apologise if I came at you a bit full on, I'm just very passionate about exposing the two main factors that sunk Titanic, poor seamanship and bad construction..

How true is this?

It's very true unfortunately. They panicked on the bridge and the chief officer called for the port around. In hindsight a head on collision was the better option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Belfast can be proud that it built the most famous ship in history. Well that and HMS Duke of Wellington.

Cutty Sark, Endevour, The Bounty, Enterprise, Arizona, Bismark etc etc Hardly the most famous ship ever, possibly the most famous wreck and probably not even then due to the Arizona which is far far more touristy. Not even close to the all time casualty list either which falls to the MV Wilhelm Gustloff at 9,000+

(not to mention it was actually the Olympic that sank ;))

• Advertisement

Cutty Sark, Endevour, The Bounty, Enterprise, Arizona, Bismark etc etc Hardly the most famous ship ever, possibly the most famous wreck and probably not even then due to the Arizona which is far far more touristy. Not even close to the all time casualty list either which falls to the MV Wilhelm Gustloff at 9,000+

Your last point is interesting Cookie Monster, I've heard the rumour before that Titanic wasn't completed on time and so Olympic sailed in her place. It's perfectly plausible to me since both ships were manned by the cowboy White Star Line and were structurally unsound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

I think ye've all just sunk to a new low....

pjmn wrote: »
    I think ye've all just sunk to a new low....

Enlighten me dear boy, why so? Whats your take on the tragedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bad Cookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Absolute balderdash. Do you realize that Olympic was brought to dry dock less than a week after the sinking and it was discovered that she also was containing faulty rivet work, the blame lies with the shipyard and its Ulster employees. Hence Harland and Wolff died a death afterwards.

It took a long time to die a death... I doubt the loss of the Titanic was significant in its shrinking many decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It was a great example of Ulster work ethic at that time. It should rightly be celebrated.

Only in Ireland could building an unsinkable ship that sank on her first voyage be something to celebrate. :pac:

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    It took a long time to die a death... I doubt the loss of the Titanic was significant in its shrinking many decades later.

It went into decline shortly there after, even towards the last age of ocean liners they were often overlooked for tenders, Workman & Clarke the other shipyard in Belfast benefited greatly from this, I guess the Billy boys at Wollf got their comuppence, they still exist in a skeletal form today producing apps for rigs and the like but the glory days are well behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Will never get fed up of titanic. Entralled ever since i watched a night to remember as a kid . Have read many books on the subject , factual and fictional.Reading one at the mo actually , its based on all the news paper reports of the time .How could anyone get bored of something so fasinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the 12th a boat containing relatives of those on board are sailing to the exact spot where the Titanic went down, you'd think they'd have learnt something from what happened and why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm from a merchant navy family, I've been told before the officers on the bridge made the wrong call. Instead of calling for the 'port around maneuver' the officers on watch should have rammed the berg head on. That way the ship would have took damage and been immobilised and took on water but wouldn't have sunk.

Yes, that's what they were saying on a BBC2 programme yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"This is the ship that God Himself could not sink!"

Lesson learned. "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God". Deuteronomy 6 vs 16.

That statement was never repeated in maritime engineering to this day. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement