Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bored of the Titanic Are You?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

phasers wrote: »
    In fairness the boat didn't fall apart, it was at least partially the Iceberg's fault. The White Star Line were responsible for the lack of lifeboats.

Appearently there may have been problems with the type of rivets they used as well. Acording to a documentary I saw a few years back. Can't remember much other than that at the moment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Appearently there may have been problems with the type of rivets they used as well. Acording to a documentary I saw a few years back. Can't remember much other than that at the moment though.

Supposed to have been a weak section of steel as well, if it had hit other parts it probably would have been fine.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The attraction to the whole Titanic story is how fascinated we are with human arrogance. It's unsinkable etc. It's a sort of cauthionary event in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

bloody telly is riddled with it atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

skyflyer wrote: »

On a side note, I thought Titanic 3D was very good...

most importantly - what are kate winslet's tits like in 3D??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

first voyage Yes
    biggest ship ever at the time One of three, and fleeting glory
    most luxurious of her day LOL - seriously
    going for the blue ribband (atlantic speed record) LOL
    big disaster, totally inadequate safety equipment had they filled the lifeboats twice as many could have been saved - perhaps all if overcrowded
    found recently enough by reasonably new deep sea tech(at the time, 85), after several failed attempts, to great hype and pomp

The biggest tragedy was that most of the loss of life was avoidable since they had plenty of time to evacuate

Only 30 died from the Britannic, and a lot of that was as a result of two lifeboats getting caught by propeller

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

psychward wrote: »
    Why are ship Captains expected to go down with their ship when you have failed and corrupt politicians walking away with huge pensions , corrupt hypocritical media arrogance spreading stereotypes when it suits them , people on all levels of society being corrupt and following the philosophy of looking after number 1, doctors only treating patients when they are vastly overpaid to do it etc ?
    I just wonder why are ship Captains expected to be any better than the rest of society ?
    It comes with the job

No one expects you go down with the ship, but you have to stay to supervise and direct the evacuation. Schettino will face charges for leaving early.

As captain your first priority is the lives of those on board.
    After that it's safety of the ship and so on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fryup wrote: »

I steamboated them...

...the girlfriend didn't appreciate it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Owryan wrote: »
    Saw a bouncy castle/slide combo in the shape of a sinking ship earlier today , great way to teach kids about the disaster lol

You know, a lot of people died on thaWheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The biggest tragedy was that most of the loss of life was avoidable since they had plenty of time to evacuate

Only 30 died from the Britannic, and a lot of that was as a result of two lifeboats getting caught by propeller

The only people on the Britannic were navy, stewards and VADs, many of whom had ship stewards experience. Additionally they were in the warm Mediterranean and only 3 miles from shore. Nobody should have died on Britannic at all and only did as a result of poor communication, in fact the ship itself might have been saved if the orders had been communicated around the ship faster. Captain Bartlett believed the ship could make it to shore and ordered the lifeboats to standby but not to launch and the ship to head toward the beach at full speed. There was confusion among the crew, especially the stewards and some boats were launched. Two boats and their crew were sucked into the propeller so Bartlett had to order the engines stopped.

One of the main accounts of the loss of the Britannic comes from the memoir of VAD nurse Violet Jessop, a first generation Irish emigrant who survived her lifeboat being pulled into the propeller. And who before the war had worked for White Star as a steward, on the Olympic in 1911 when it crashed and shortly afterwards transferred to the Titanic for it's maiden voyage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »

not too good i'm afraid:( lets just say she hasn't aged well..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i too am sick of all the titanic hype...

the nordies built a poorly designed ship with sub standard parts and it sank on the maiden voyage.... nothing to be proud about if u ask me. but it shows even back then the island of ireland had cowboy builders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

i too am sick of all the titanic hype...

the nordies built a poorly designed ship with sub standard parts and it sank on the maiden voyage.... nothing to be proud about if u ask me. but it shows even back then the island of ireland had cowboy builders.
    Sailing at a faster speed than he should have ( Captain was probably under pressure from the owners /shareholders to arrive in New York before schedule ) and ingnoring warnings of approaching icebergs ( because some of the more privileged passengers were clogging up the ships morse code appliances by sending messages to family and friends about '' how wonderful it is here on the Titanic '' ...so Mr Phillips remained the one sole crew member sending out the morse code cry for help )

That 4 part tv series is sinking in the ratings as quick as the ship .

There has beena Titanic exhibition at the Maritime Museam Liverpool for many years now to .

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/collections/liners/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

I saw that as well. Because of time constraints (the usual) the technicians were forced to use sub-standard rivets rather than wait for freshly smelted more pure steel ones. They used these rivets that were basically contaminated with impurities and these were much weaker than the ones they had been using up to that point. But of course there were multiple factors that coalesced to contribute to the disaster.....the "perfect storm" as the jargon goes.
    crappy rivets,
    water-tight doors not fitted to the tops of the compartments,
    pitifully inadequate lifeboats
    clogged up communications
    wrong coordinates sent to the Carpathia
    ignored iceberg warnings
    dangerous speed
    and of course water temperatures that would make a polar bear shiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I've somehow managed to avoid hearing all this talk about the Titanic, bar trailers for the 3d version of the film. Am I living in a bubble of some kind?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I've somehow managed to avoid hearing all this talk about the Titanic, bar trailers for the 3d version of the film. Am I living in a bubble of some kind?
    Wait until the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter rising comes around ... that will be a blast .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Latchy wrote: »
    Wait until the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter rising comes around ... that will be a blast .

Whens that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Seachmall wrote: »
    Whens that on?

This summer. It's a joint celebration by Live Nation to commemorate the rising and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Madonna is to play Amhran na Bfhiann on the ukulele on top of Buckingham palace a la Brian May.

You spend $200 million on a movie.
    The least you could do would be to hire someone to write a decent script.

"I hope you enjoy your time together" :pac:

This summer. It's a joint celebration by Live Nation to commemorate the rising and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Madonna is to play Amhran na Bfhiann on the ukulele on top of Buckingham palace a la Brian May.

I'm only going if Madonna's ukulele is one she designed and built out of her old fireplace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

feckkkkkk i just got home sat my ass down on the couch , switched on the Telly and Titanic ''news'' is being shoved in my face already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'm not sick of it yet, not the way I almost puked and cringed at the very mention of Riverdance within a week or so of its first performance at the Eurovision from Dublin in the mid-1990s, but there certainly is a lot of hullabaloo about the Titanic. In fact, I was in Belfast to see the Titanic expo in the new centre last Wednesday. Quite impressive.:)

The little yellow plastic bath ducks you get in the Europa Hotel are now wearing black sailor's jackets and have the word "Titanic" on their sides. In fact, they look a bit like Paisley. The Belfast people say "she was all right when she left here with that English captain and Scottish navigation officer ...":D:D

It's pretty international as well. One Finnish TV channel showed a 6-part documentary about the Titanic and a newspaper published a summary about the ship as well.

One thing I can't figure out, though. Why aren't lots of Titanic jokes in the worst possible taste in circulation via SMS and the Internet? Shouldn't someone more inventive that me start a Bad-taste Titanic jokes thread?

iguana wrote: »
    I'm only going if Madonna's ukulele is one she designed and built out of her old fireplace.

It is. Only cost 18 pounds back in the early 50s after she discovered LSD and before she was drafted into the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I've been quite interested in it. I was reading about the expeditions to discover the Titanic today and found about this man Jack F. Grimm. He was a Texan oil billionaire who spent his riches on expeditions to attempt to uncover all these mysteries: Loch Ness Monster, Abominable Snowman, the Titanic.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/09/us/jack-f-grimm-72-is-dead-a-seeker-of-oil-and-legends.html

Interesting guy. Giving your money to a charity in Africa is so cliché anyway. :cool:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    One thing I can't figure out, though. Why aren't lots of Titanic jokes in the worst possible taste in circulation via SMS and the Internet? Shouldn't someone more inventive that me start a Bad-taste Titanic jokes thread?

I think a lot of the profiteering surrounding the Titanic is in worse taste. I saw a bottle of Titanic-themed whiskey for sale today in Dublin airport, urging people to "celebrate" it's centenary. Like, what's to celebrate about a massive ocean liner sinking and killing 1500 people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ellis Dee wrote: »

You need to brush up on your Morse for them jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

K-9 wrote: »
    Supposed to have been a weak section of steel as well, if it had hit other parts it probably would have been fine.
    I heard it split underneath the grand staircase....sugesting the weight of the staircase caused a weakpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

got dragged to see it yesterday , thought the 3D might have helped it a bit but no , the 3d was absolute rubbish , couple of fish in the first 20 mins or so were good , but that was about it , arse numbingly boring , also could that bitch not have said ok jack we'll take turns lying on the wardrobe or whatever it was , but no , the selfish bitch realizes he's dead , says something like "ill never let you go" then prys his cold dead hands off her raft and lets him sink, what a b1tch :rolleyes:

There was room for the both of them on it

I wouldn't view it as a celebration at all, moreso a commemoration.
    I'm certain in 2014, there won't be a 'celebration' of the Great War's centenary.

The profiteering is in bad taste for sure, but I'm sure people have been planning on making a buck out of it since Titanic the movie was released and there was a renewed interest in the disaster. They've been waiting 15 years for it! For me it's just a human interest story and if it get's people to visit Belfast or Cobh, that can only be a positive thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

poorly designed, sub standard parts:rolleyes:

it was built to the highest of standards.....it was poor seamanship that sank it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not as bored as I am about hearing of Northern Ireland's other big export.

Rory McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Not as bored as I am about hearing of Northern Ireland's other big export.

Rory McIlroy.
    Sir, if I could thank this one hundred times, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All you people complaining about Titanic overload need to realise that if it wasn't for the current saturation about the anniversary all these idiots would never have learned that it was a real event.

http://laughingsquid.com/twitter-learns-the-titanic-was-not-just-a-movie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

There was actually a good doco on Discovery about the aftermath of the sinking, Titanic the aftermath" the way the white star line treated the survivor relatives beggars belief.
    One of the band members father got a bill for his sons uniform, that was the band that played till the ship went down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'm actually really enjoying the mini-series:o

Reminds me a bit of when Star Wars movie hit the big screen for first time.You couldn't walk anywhere without hearing the fcuking theme tune screeching out of shops everwhere including ,supermarkets ,diy stores and it got to the stage were you didn't want to see the fcuking thing , same with hype overload of Harry Potter which I've never seen a full movie of ,only snippets .

People were always fasinated by the Titanic story long before the big movie so they don't need the hype and the 100th anniversary is for many , just another cash in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

MugMugs wrote: »
    This thread is going the same way as The Titanic :)
    smash wrote: »

At least the titanic went down to some decent music

foxyboxer wrote: »
    You spend $200 million on a movie.
    The least you could do would be to hire someone to write a decent script.
    Just use the script from 'A night to remember'

If you only ever watch one film about the Titanic watch it

You need to brush up on your Morse for them jokes
    She was only a wireless telegraphists daughter, but she did it like her Dada did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Instead of calling for the 'port around maneuver' the officers on watch should have rammed the berg head on. That way the ship would have took damage and been immobilised and took on water but wouldn't have sunk.
    It's very true unfortunately. They panicked on the bridge and the chief officer called for the port around. In hindsight a head on collision was the better option

To be fair, that is complete speculation. almost everything iv'e read and seen say that if she hit the iceberg head on, Titanic would have absorbed the entire shock from the collision, buckled every rivet she had and sank in minutes.

it's all (somewhat informed) opinions and anyone who says that if they just this this or this and it wouldn't have sank are just bull****ting.

In other news, i find the story of the ship and the people on board fascinating, but i feel it is something that should be commemorated, but not celebrated, as is happening up north (and in the republic as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

44leto wrote: »
    There was actually a good doco on Discovery about the aftermath of the sinking, Titanic the aftermath" the way the white star line treated the survivor relatives beggars belief.

One of the band members father got a bill for his sons uniform, that was the band that played till the ship went down.
    It was probably just a computer error.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

44leto wrote: »

I'm really looking forward to catching that programme.

I think for the aftermath in general, White Star Line and indeed the British inquiry were trying to carry on as normal, moving on as quick as possible since it was in their interest to do so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

......KATE WISLET WAS IN THE NIP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

To be fair, that is complete speculation. almost everything iv'e read and seen say that if she hit the iceberg head on, Titanic would have absorbed the entire shock from the collision, buckled every rivet she had and sank in minutes.

Well the sister ship did take a British warship to the side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hawke_-_Olympic_collision.JPG

So the precedent for the titanic to survive a single isolated collision was there.

Now the olympic got seriously damaged from that. So much that he propeller shaft got twisted etc. But she stayed afloat, due to it being an isolated collision.

So the account of the titanic taking a direct collision with an iceberg is speculation since we dont know the scale of the berg, it could go from being less damaging then the above collision to an outright disaster. What we lack is the actual scale of the iceberg.

More interesting is the confusion over why they put the ship in full reverse.

On 2 interesting side comment (and I havnt read the full thread so it might have come up) but first there is the entertaining conspiracy theory around the titanic that it was in fact the olympic that was sunk as part of a insurance fraud scheme that got out of control and that the titanic either collided with another ship or never hit anything at all and that the crew just reopened the damaged section from the above collision.

But the ship was off course and the california and the mystery ship which were meant to come take off all the survivors failed to spot their rockets.

It's bull of course but it's one of those fun bullsh*t stories.

secondly Edward Smith was captain both when the olympic collided with the Hawk and when the titanic sank.

horrible luck that man had.

There is that picture of the iceberg with red paint on it...I think they proved somewhere that examination of a midsection of either the Britannic/Titanic picture/Olympic proved that it couldn't have been the Olympic that sank. I remember a programme a few years ago on it.

Titanic would've been fine if the berg hit 2 feet either side of where it did. Above the waterline like the Olympic or well below the water line the double hull would've helped...it's just unlucky that the iceberg protruded exactly where it did.

Perhaps the lack of binoculars or not angrily kicking the Californian off the wire earlier contributed as much. So many what ifs..

dfx- wrote: »
    There is that picture of the iceberg with red paint on it...

There is? Got to find that.
    I think they proved somewhere that examination of a midsection of either the Britannic/Titanic picture/Olympic proved that it couldn't have been the Olympic that sank. I remember a programme a few years ago on it.

No the proof that it's the titanic is in the number idents on the parts of the wreck are all 401 which is the titanic while the olympic is 400.
    Titanic would've been fine if the berg hit 2 feet either side of where it did. Above the waterline like the Olympic or well below the water line the double hull would've helped...it's just unlucky that the iceberg protruded exactly where it did.

Huh, I read the unlucky part of the titanic was that the iceberg didnt hit an exact spot, but instead did a series of small buckles over a larger area. That's the core of the argument that a direct hit or not putting the ship in reverse would have been better as it would have isolated the damage. Instead allowing the iceberg to hit the side allowed it to do less direct damage but over a wider area making it impossible to contain the flooding.
    Perhaps the lack of binoculars or not angrily kicking the Californian off the wire earlier contributed as much. So many what ifs..

That's what makes these sort of stories so interesting.

Personally I'm more into the story of the Bismarck then the Titanic. A lot of similarities but tonnes more dumb luck on both sides leading to its sinking.

That and if they ever did another film of the Bismarck they'd have a hard time squeezing a love story into it.

Also wasnt there a report a few years ago that the titanic wreck will be gone soon? That it's being eaten away by some of the marine life that deep down.

Well, there's the picture of an iceberg in the area the next day that was described by people who passed it/took the picture to have red streaks of paint on it. A picture too of an iceberg resembling the shape that was described by a survivor - the shape of the rock of gibraltar

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/images/pfeifer_iceberg.jpg

Yes, they never expected it to grind along such a large length of the ship, but had it hit lower, the double hull would've protected the ship. There was a small little corridor beow the waterline - between the waterline and the top of the double hull - that was vulnerable and that's where the iceberg hit.

this talk had me googling some other wrecks that I tried to remember.

The Yamato in particular has a gruesome wreck:

yamwrk1.jpg

and the titanic's sistership britannic held together more but has this wonderful curve to it from the captain trying to beach her:

Britannic_wreck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    this talk had me googling some other wrecks that I tried to remember.

The Yamato in particular has a gruesome wreck:

yamwrk1.jpg

and the titanic's sistership britannic held together more but has this wonderful curve to it from the captain trying to beach her:

Britannic_wreck.jpg

I find this kind of stuff fascinating as well. MV Estonia and Hearld Of The Free Enterprise are two more recent maritime disasters involving Merchant Naval vessels to read up on. 'Herald' of course involved a car ferry departing port with its vehicle doors open, shocking really, her Master and certain members of crew were charged with gross negligence and manslaughter in the aftermath while P&O got rapped with corporate manslaughter. Strangely though nobody was ever convicted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement