Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bored of the Titanic Are You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

unkymo wrote: »
    Nazi Titanic is brilliant, well worth a watch.

Seen that, it was good.

I never knew Germany was Europe's Hollywood before the war. It explains why German films are so good, there is a tradition there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I swear it sounds like something that should be on syfy.

Oh no!

Its the true story about Joseph Goebbels making a big budget version in German to use as Nazi propoganda during World War 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_%281943_film%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

unkymo wrote: »
    Oh no!

Its the true story about Joseph Goebbels making a big budget version in German to use as Nazi propoganda during World War 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_%281943_film%29

I know I googled it too.

but I still want to see the syfy nazi titanic film now. I cant get it out of my head. Nazi's raise the titanic to use it as a V2 rocket launch pad against the USA.

Hell if not syfy then Asylum films can do it as their cheap(er) knock off iron sky. Sea Nazis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Hopefully the real conspiracy behind the movie is that Freddie Kruger, Jason Friday the 13th and Biggie Smalls went on a torturefest around the Titanic before it sank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

44leto wrote: »
    Seen that, it was good.

I never knew Germany was Europe's Hollywood before the war. It explains why German films are so good, there is a tradition there.
    You should watch this if you get the chance http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036191/

Berlin 1943

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A Night To Remember (1958) The Definitive Titanic movie.
    Tomorrow (Sun) BBC2 3.00pm.
    Stiff upper lip...... BE BRITISH !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

A Night To Remember (1958) The Definitive Titanic movie.
    Tomorrow (Sun) BBC2 3.00pm.
    Stiff upper lip...... BE BRITISH !!

Thanks for that Elmer Blooker......Will definitely be on the list!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

For safety purposes why weren't there enough lifeboats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

cooranig23 wrote: »

Because of the advances of ship building, regulations were relaxed on lifeboats. Titanic actually carried more lifeboats than required.

Titanic carried 20 lifeboats with capacity for 60 people each. It was originally designed to have 32 lifeboats but it was scrapped because they felt it would look too cluttered. The crew were inexperienced and lifeboats were being launched without filling them. The crew were actually supposed to do a lifeboat drill on the morning they set off, but the Captain cancelled it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_lightship_LV-117
    LV-117 was a lightvessel of the United States Lighthouse Service. Launched in 1931, she operated as the Nantucket lightship south of Nantucket Shoals. Moored south of Nantucket Island, Massachussetts, the lightship was at the western part of the transatlantic shipping lane and the first lightship encountered by westbound liners approaching New York Harbor. On May 15, 1934, one of these liners, RMS Olympic, rammed and sank LV-117, killing seven of her crew.
    Just in case anyone thinks lessons were learnt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Haddock
    Seven weeks after the Titanic disaster, Haddock almost ran the Olympic aground on rocks near Land's End. The error was attributed to faulty navigation, and Haddock was under strict observation for his next few voyages.[5]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I saw this thing in Belfast yesterday. :p

http://i43.tinypic.com/svnqtw.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I wonder why nobody has built a replica in the past 20 years owing to the huge interest, the chance has probably gone now the anniversary has passed.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I wonder why nobody has built a replica in the past 20 years owing to the huge interest, the chance has probably gone now the anniversary has passed.
    There was talk about building a replica in South Africa just after the movie came out in 97 but I think the plans for it went down like the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

ARGHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

So bored, like I am sinking myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Kinda bored of it, but gawd it's a compelling event. Not sure why, but it is.

cooranig23 wrote: »

Back then, the amount of lifeboats on board a ship went by ship tonnage rather than passenger numbers. Crazy, I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I always thought the Titanic was the last ship to be sunk by an iceberg with great loss of life but there was one as "recent" as 1959 and by amazing coincidence also on it's maiden voyage, 95 dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Hans_Hedtoft

WRONG!!! Along with the material failures, poor design of the watertight compartments in the Titanic's lower section was a factor in the disaster. The lower section of the Titanic was divided into sixteen major watertight compartments that could easily be sealed off if part of the hull was punctured and leaking water. After the collision with the iceberg, the hull portion of six of these sixteen compartments was damaged. Sealing off the compartments was completed immediately after the damage was realized, but as the bow of the ship began to pitch forward from the weight of the water in that area of the ship, the water in some of the compartments began to spill over into adjacent compartments. Although the compartments were called watertight, they were actually only watertight horizontally; their tops were open and the walls extended only a few feet above the waterline. If the transverse bulkheads (the walls of the watertight compartments that are positioned across the width of the ship) had been a few feet taller, the water would have been better contained within the damaged compartments. Consequently, the sinking would have been slowed, possibly allowing enough time for nearby ships to help. However, because of the extensive flooding of the bow compartments and the subsequent flooding of the entire ship, the Titanic was gradually pulled below the waterline.

The watertight compartments were useless to countering the damage done by the collision with the iceberg. Some of the scientists studying the disaster have even concluded that the watertight compartments contributed to the disaster by keeping the flood waters in the bow of the ship. If there had been no compartments at all, the incoming water would have spread out, and the Titanic would have remained horizontal. Eventually, the ship would have sunk, but she would have remained afloat for another six hours before foundering. This amount of time would have been sufficient for nearby ships to reach the Titanic's location so all of her passengers and crew could have been saved.

Really interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Personally I blame Bertie Ahern for the Titanic disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rabidlamb wrote: »

People would probably perceive it to be "cursed" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

I have wondered to myself recently, if I was in a lifeboat would I call to return to pick up the people in the water. It must have been horrific for survivors in the lifeboats, hearing their husbands screaming for help and then the screams getting quieter until silence. Would I risk my own safety to return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Joko wrote: »
    I have wondered to myself recently, if I was in a lifeboat would I call to return to pick up the people in the water. It must have been horrific for survivors in the lifeboats, hearing their husbands screaming for help and then the screams getting quieter until silence. Would I risk my own safety to return?
    I think I would, but not until the ship had gone down. There was an understanding of the hydrodynamics at the time, which may have been exaggerated, that the ship would suck in surrounding debris, boats and individuals within the surrounding waters as she went down.

This 'suction' for want of a better word, probably did occur to some extent, but even if it was not quite as large as the officers of the lifeboats had estimated. But with the information you would have had, I would suggest you'd be right not to go back until the ship had gone down (by which time, most people were probably dead from hypothermia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Couldn't be bored of it, I find it fascinating. In fact I'll miss all the Titanic talk in the news- it's better than hearing about the recession!

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Walter Lord's book A Night To Remember (on which the film was based) is a great read.

The Examiner had a good supplement during the week, one thing that really captured my imagination was the story of one of the Irish survivors. She lived in America for many years and never talked about it, until she suffered dementia in later years and it was 'all she could talk about.' She would shout "Get into the lifeboats".

Fascinating and horrifying that your mind could make you relive the most traumatic event of your life over and over.

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Couldn't be bored of it, I find it fascinating. In fact I'll miss all the Titanic talk in the news- it's better than hearing about the recession!
    If you want Titanic blurb and talk take a trip to Belfast, even Easons had a whole shelf dedicated to the ship with mugs, books, tea towels, dvds. etc. The city is full of it and will probably go on until the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

If you want Titanic blurb and talk take a trip to Belfast, even Easons had a whole shelf dedicated to the ship with mugs, books, tea towels, dvds. etc. The city is full of it and will probably go on until the end of the month.

I'd love to go up to Belfast, I'd say the exhibition centre is amazing... Funds prevent it tho :(

Roisy7 wrote: »
    I'd love to go up to Belfast, I'd say the exhibition centre is amazing... Funds prevent it tho :(
    You could get up there cheap enough return on the bus or rail if you book on line . Well wort it for the buzz, the Titanic exhibition CTR is booked out for another week at least so you won't get near that. Apart from that there are exhibitions everywhere from shop fronts to outside city hall where there was a giant video screen showing slides and old movie shots of period Belfast at the time of building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

RTE2 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Documentary on ;)

double post

RTE2 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Documentary on ;)

The time stamp on your second last post. :p

• Advertisement

Back then, the amount of lifeboats on board a ship went by ship tonnage rather than passenger numbers. Crazy, I know!
    No.

Had it been pro-rata by tonnage alone there would have been no problem.

The problem was that Titanic was a 46,000 ton ship with enough boats for a 10,000 ton ship.

Titanic was capable of taking enough boats to hold everyone, but the regulator didn't force them too. http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3940980.html

not sure how they got the 75% of floats and rafts though
    http://www.titanic-titanic.com/lifeboats.shtml
    the Board of Trade regulations stated that all British vessels over 10,000 tons must carry 16 lifeboats with a capacity of 5,500 cubic feet, plus enough rafts and floats for 75% of the lifeboats.

there were 14 standard wooden lifeboats each measuring 30' 0" long by 9' 1" by 4' 0" deep with a capacity of 65 persons each.
    with two emergency cutters, numbered No. 1 & No. 2, measuring 25' 2" long, and 7' 2" wide.
    Four Englehardt collapsible lifeboats measuring 27' 5" long by 8' 0" by 3' 0" deep, and with a capacity of 47 persons each were also aboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Republic_%281903%29
    In early morning of 23 January 1909,....Out of the fog, the Lloyd Italiano liner SS Florida appeared and hit Republic amidships, at about a right angle.
    The engine and boiler rooms on Republic began to flood, and the ship listed. Captain Sealby led the crew in calmly organizing the passengers on deck for evacuation. Republic was equipped with the new Marconi wireless telegraph system, and became the first ship in history to issue a CQD distress signal, sent by Jack R. Binns.[2] Florida came about to rescue Republic's complement, and the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Gresham[3] responded to the distress signal as well. Passengers were distributed between the two ships, with Florida taking the bulk of them,
    ...24 January, Republic sank. At 15,378 tons, she was the largest ship to have sunk up to that time

http://www.rms-republic.com/sal01.html
    The Republic was built not only with an elaborate watertight compartment system, which generally reduces the danger of sinking in collision, but with a cellular double bottom, which makes her safer than many vessels of her time and class. She was as nearly unsinkable in theory as a vessel could be made when she was designed.

New York Evening Sun, January 23, 1909, 2:2

... She was designed as nearly unsinkable as a vessel could be made.

New York American, January 24, 1909, 4:4

… Her hull was extraordinarily strong in construction, being of the cellular double bottom type. There were eight watertight compartments, and in theory, at least, the ship was constructed so as to prove unsinkable.

New York Herald, January 24, 1909, 4:4

... When she started from New York on her fatal trip, she was considered to be practically unsinkable by collision. So numerous were her compartments, so staunchly were her subdividing bulkheads built, that any qualified expert would have confidently asserted that two of her compartments might be flooded without sending the ship to the bottom. ...

The Scientific American, February 6, 09, 110:1.

The time stamp on your second last post. :p

You have lost me!!! :p:confused:

The guy from Intermission is on it.... knew I had seen him before.

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean. :D

Freaky!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meat2veg

We've hit something' said the captain of the Titanic over the tannoy. 'But don't worry, this ship is unsinkable, there are loads of ships in the immediate vicinity and we're only two miles from land'.
    'Two miles from land'? asked a passenger 'Which way'?
    'Straight down'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Am I the only person who just doesn't get this Titanic fascination?

A luxury liner sank a century ago....and this is hugely compelling because.....???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

steve9859 wrote: »

A luxury liner sank a century ago....and this is hugely compelling because.....???????

Because rich white people died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Because its hugely compelling to lots of people for many different reasons - some of them being

• Rare event
    • Hugh loss of life
    • Connections with Ireland
    • Class structure of the time
    • It was a maiden voyage of the largest ship in the world at the time
    • The unsinkable ship (!!)
    • Morbid fascination with major disasters
    • Its a classic tragedy (truth stranger than fiction – many a script writer would find it hard to write a story as complex and heart wrenching)

Its similar to many other tragedy's where a huge loss of life is involved - people find it hard to believe and thus find a fascination in any stories and accounts they can read to try to get an insight into how it occurred and how it must have been to be in such an event.
    Its also very sad and people like to read sad stories

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Because its hugely compelling to lots of people for many different reasons - some of them being

• Rare event
    • Hugh loss of life
    • Connections with Ireland
    • Class structure of the time
    • It was a maiden voyage of the largest ship in the world at the time
    • The unsinkable ship (!!)
    • Morbid fascination with major disasters
    • Its a classic tragedy (truth stranger than fiction – many a script writer would find it hard to write a story as complex and heart wrenching)

Its similar to many other tragedy's where a huge loss of life is involved - people find it hard to believe and thus find a fascination in any stories and accounts they can read to try to get an insight into how it occurred and how it must have been to be in such an event.
    Its also very sad and people like to read sad stories

OK. I accept your reasons for finding it fascinating. And there are obviously many who agree.

My own feeling on the whole thing is summed up by 'a ship sank a hundred years ago'. IMO there are plenty more moving and tragic stories of sinkings in the North Atlantic in WW2

OK. I accept your reasons for finding it fascinating. And there are obviously many who agree.

My own feeling on the whole thing is summed up by 'a ship sank a hundred years ago'. IMO there are plenty more moving and tragic stories of sinkings in the North Atlantic in WW2
    A war IMHO differs as its a war and you get what you sign up for a lot of the time - this was a pure fluke and an accident (although contributing factors didn't help it either)
    In that sense its far more of a tragedy than anything caused by war

A war IMHO differs as its a war and you get what you sign up for a lot of the time - this was a pure fluke and an accident (although contributing factors didn't help it either)
    In that sense its far more of a tragedy than anything caused by war

I disagree. The loss of 36,000 merchant seamen's lives, countless merchant ships sunk with all hands, I find far more of a tragedy than a cruise ship full of rich folk.

But that's just me. My answer to the OP is "yes I'm bored of it and I dont get it"

I'm just listening to this right now and it's pretty damned interesting and eerie. Basically the Marconi wireless operators sending out their Morse code messages out, especially during the actual sinking itself and the exchange between the ships.
    Using voice synthesis to re-create the strange, twitter-like, mechanical brevity of the original Morse code, this programme brings to life the tragedy through the ears of the wireless operators in the area that night.

• Advertisement

I disagree. The loss of 36,000 merchant seamen's lives, countless merchant ships sunk with all hands, I find far more of a tragedy than a cruise ship full of rich folk.

But that's just me. My answer to the OP is "yes I'm bored of it and I dont get it"

Agree with the point that they too were a tragedy but thats what happens in War - innocent lives lost for no good reason. BTW There were 2228 people on board of the Titanic, 337 in first class, 285 second class, 721 in third class and 885 crew so the poor far outweighed the rich
    But each to their own so my answer to OP is a big 'not at all'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon the Titanic has all the "right" elements for a script. Along with tui0hcg's list I'd add that it took ages to actually sink. Plenty of time for character development and all that. It would have been hard to script the thing better. Compared to the Lusitania, a similar sort of death toll which sank in 15 minutes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon the Titanic has all the "right" elements for a script. Along with tui0hcg's list I'd add that it took ages to actually sink. Plenty of time for character development and all that. It would have been hard to script the thing better. Compared to the Lusitania, a similar sort of death toll which sank in 15 minutes.

Ah, but with the Lusitania you've various sub plots that lead to the climax of it sinking. Such as the German U-Boat, sneaking up and not providing any proper warning. The multitude of romours about it as well, with regards to how much ammuinition was actually on it. You've also got the political implications and motivations, considering a major reaction of the sinking resulted in the USA's entry into WW1 (as opposed to being neutral, but a supporter of the English).

Ah, but with the Lusitania you've various sub plots that lead to the climax of it sinking. Such as the German U-Boat, sneaking up and not providing any proper warning. The multitude of romours about it as well, with regards to how much ammuinition was actually on it. You've also got the political implications and motivations, considering a major reaction of the sinking resulted in the USA's entry into WW1 (as opposed to being neutral, but a supporter of the English).

I don't think the Lusitania will have as much public fascination however - Centenary in 3 years and a connection again with Ireland so maybe there will be more commemorations for it in 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It`s gone overboard now,were drowning in titanic nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

It'll be 75 years since the Hindenberg burned up on May 6th. Are they puffing out their chests in whatever German burgh that put the airship together, and getting a stage ready for the likes of One Direction and Cascada to pay solemn tribute to the victims?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think the Lusitania will have as much public fascination however - Centenary in 3 years and a connection again with Ireland so maybe there will be more commemorations for it in 2015

Aye, but thats more so because the Lusitania was an act of war where as there was the hype around the supremacy of the Titanic itself which has created it's legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Hugh loss of life
    :eek: What, Hugh's dead .... oh no!

Alun wrote: »

Yes unfortunately he didn't make it :-(

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/hugh-rood.html

• Advertisement

Pupito wrote: »
    It'll be 75 years since the Hindenberg burned up on May 6th.
    Alun wrote: »
    http://wikis.lib.ncsu.edu/images/e/e7/Huge_manatee.jpg

Advertisement