Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bored of the Titanic Are You?

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon the Titanic has all the "right" elements for a script. Along with tui0hcg's list I'd add that it took ages to actually sink. Plenty of time for character development and all that. It would have been hard to script the thing better.
    I hope you are referring to A Night To Remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

My highlight of the Titanic weekend was BBC Radio 2's minute by minute account starting at 12.40 on Sat night finishing at 2.20 on Sun morning. There were old recordings of survivors giving their accounts.
    * warning: only for serious Titanoraks.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fq7lb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just saw an interesting TV show on RTE2

SOS: The Titanic Inquiry.

And if you are still not bored of all this stuff there is another one on tonight on BBC1 NI

Ryan versus The White Star Line

Looks interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I am fairly sure I heard that some restaurant in Cobh was doing a set menu of what the passengers ate. Maybe it has been mentioned on this thread already.

You could choose to have either the first-class menu or the third-class.

The spraying with water after you paid was a bit much, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If you're bored with Titanic hype/hysteria, wait for 2016, the run-in has already started. :D

I am fairly sure I heard that some restaurant in Cobh was doing a set menu of what the passengers ate. Maybe it has been mentioned on this thread already.

You could choose to have either the first-class menu or the third-class.

The spraying with water after you paid was a bit much, tbh.

Yes the restaurant is really nice - I will post the link if that's allowed by mods.

No ice in the G&Ts however:D

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Yes the restaurant is really nice - I will post the link if that's allowed by mods.

No ice in the G&Ts however:D

I knew I heard right. Wonder what the difference in price was? :D

Apparently the ship made a loss on the first-class passengers because the menus were so extravagant. It was the third-class that they made their money.

The dinner/evening menu is the 1st class menu where as the lunch one is based on 3rd class. Both look interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Feck sake . Saw a glimpse of the news this morning about some great great grandson of a titanic victim getting all ''emotional'' about this tragic event and someone he never knew. You wouldn't see the sons of the millions of world war 2 dead hamming it up half as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Maybe if the man on lookout that night had went to specsavers, he might have spotted the iceberg sooner. Oh wait they didn't have specsavers in 1912.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

My highlight of the Titanic weekend was BBC Radio 2's minute by minute account starting at 12.40 on Sat night finishing at 2.20 on Sun morning. There were old recordings of survivors giving their accounts.
    * warning: only for serious Titanoraks.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fq7lb

Listened to this as it went out - fantastic piece of BBC radio. So haunting and really quite emotional!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I reckon the Titanic has all the "right" elements for a script. Along with tui0hcg's list I'd add that it took ages to actually sink.

Indeed it does...there's the story of the book written by a writer of a steamship named 'The Titan', an unsinkable boat that hit an iceberg on its starboard side in the north Atlantic on an April night. Essentially plagiarised you would think.

But the book was written in 1898.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

psychward wrote: »
    Feck sake . Saw a glimpse of the news this morning about some great great grandson of a titanic victim getting all ''emotional'' about this tragic event and someone he never knew. You wouldn't see the sons of the millions of world war 2 dead hamming it up half as much.
    Just mentioning in passing that you still hear the odd rumble about the assets of those killed in the Nazi extermination camps.

Maybe if the man on lookout that night had went to specsavers, he might have spotted the iceberg sooner. Oh wait they didn't have specsavers in 1912.
    The didn't have binoculars either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The didn't have binoculars either.
    Well they did, it's just they weren't issued with them. Then again the quality of the optics back then may well have not been up to the task.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well they did, it's just they weren't issued with them. Then again the quality of the optics back then may well have not been up to the task.

Shoulda gone to....

I wont say it, too lame for AH :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It is brilliant remembering the people 100 years on, so what are we going to do about the Luistania? An exhibition centre in Kinsale?
    Or do we leave this one to the Scots as they built it or perhaps to the germans as they sunk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Luistania, reckon the conspiracy nuts will do there best

Odds are on Churchill sank it because it had a secret space craft as cargo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you turn on the tv there seems to be about 5 titanic programms on at any one time. Surely even for people really interested in it, it's the same shíte over and over again that we all heard a million times?

dfx- wrote: »
    Indeed it does...there's the story of the book written by a writer of a steamship named 'The Titan', an unsinkable boat that hit an iceberg on its starboard side in the north Atlantic on an April night. Essentially plagiarised you would think.

But the book was written in 1898.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

The similarities to the Titanic are incredible.

He also wrote a short story which described a future war between the United States and Empire of Japan. In the story Japan does not declare war but instead launches sneak attacks on United States ships en route to the Philippines and Hawaii.
    remind you of anything?

He wrote this in 1914 - was he some sort of psychic or just lucky????

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Takes good tradesmen to appreciate the Titanic .Pre-gadget age .

Advertisement