Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature pony = good pet ?

• 06-04-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Okay well basically the title says it all !

I have been thinking about the prospects of getting a miniature pony but I was hoping maybe I could get some advice first .

How much grass/land does one need ? I have a fairly big back garden but I'm not sure is it suitable .
    Also what form of exercise will it need ? Is the free run of the garden enough or will it need to be exercised more ?
    Also is there anything preventing me from keeping one in my garden ? I know it may sound bad but the gardn is big and I would provide a mini stable and the works - however I live in a small country estate so would that effect aything ? The estate is in the countryside and it would be a miniature pony of under 30 inches ??

Any advice would be great :) Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

How big is your big back garden? The reason I ask is a miniature can eat a surprising amount in a day... but it can also get overweight quite quickly and therefore prone to suffering from laminitis. If it's not big enough, you would run out of grass. Would you be willing to buy hay? It would probably be best to section it off if at all possible.

Exercise really depends on the pony but generally, they are happy enough walking about outside.

Just make sure the garden is clean, free of ragwort and grass clippings (no horse can eat mowed grass so don't give it your clippings), there isn't any drains running through it that the pony could fall into, and that it's well fenced. Also, when building the stable, make sure it's sheltered and there isn't a draft running through it.

Just as a side note... miniatures still need the farrier, dentist and vet on occasion so make sure you can afford those if and when you need them. Watch out for temperament too. Ponies tend to be worse tempered than bigger horses. It would probably be best to bring someone along who you know is good with horses as they can not only pick up on temperament, but also any confirmational faults that sellers may ''forget'' to mention.

If you do get one, make sure he/she is well handled. Go in and catch it everyday and give it a pet. It would be a good idea if you're giving apples or something, to drop them on the ground or in a bucket as opposed to giving them out of your hand. It could teach the pony to bite, and that could be dangerous. Don't groom it too much if it's outside as you'll strip its coat of oils that keep it warm. It is probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with the basic parts of the pony, such as the hock and fetlock if you don't already know them, it could come it handy.

Don't try to sit on it... I know of someone who got one and planned to put his kids on it before I stopped him. Horses have to be broken in and trained before being rode. Beforehand, he'll try to throw you off. It's not really advised to break in miniatures anyway.

Lastly, don't forget that a pony can live up until it's 30, maybe longer. Make sure you can afford to keep it as this isn't something you just have for a year or two. The rise in cases of neglect are proof that many people didn't think ownership through before buying. Have a back up plan in case you find yourself in difficulty.

So, yeah, miniatures are a good pet and fun to have as long as they're properly cared for. :) I could have possibly left something out of that... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

I don't know the exact area of the garden as I'm not home at the moment to check but it's a fairly decent size with nothing much in it - there are plants around the side of the grass area but I would be well sure to put a secure fencing up . On average what size are would you recommend ?
    Yes I am more than happy to provide hay and any other extras the ponies diet may require such as minerals abd vitamins .

The garden is completely flat , just like a green area . The shelter would be in the corner near a tree which would shelter it .

I have factored that in ie; vet , dentist and farrier .
    Another thing , where would I be best buying one ? Obviously I can't go to a pet shop for one . Are there breaders or will I have to source one privately ? Just looking for a small one as a pet really .

I have knowledge of horses and ponies as I ride regularly it's just when it comes to miniatures I didn't have a clue how much variation there would be in regards keeping them .

Thats the very reason I am investigating this before I throw myself in the deep end and buy one .
    Thank you for your reply , it was helpful . :)

Okay these are just a few quick questions I'd love answers to so as I have all the facts ;

1.Whats the smallest land size a miniature pony should have to graze in ? (Like live in as I can provide hay and other food)

2.How big should the shelter be ?

3.Where would I get a good family pet miniature pony ? (Do I need to go to a breader or private seller?)

4.What other facts or knowledge should I consider before buying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Meg meg wrote: »
    Okay these are just a few quick questions I'd love answers to so as I have all the facts ;

1.Whats the smallest land size a miniature pony should have to graze in ? (Like live in as I can provide hay and other food)

2.How big should the shelter be ?

3.Where would I get a good family pet miniature pony ? (Do I need to go to a breader or private seller?)

4.What other facts or knowledge should I consider before buying ?

1. I'd give it about half an acre strips, that should be plenty at a time.

2. Shelter doesn't need to be too big. 8ftx8ft should be loads, as long as he has room to lie down. It should be high enough that you should fit into it. Unless it's wet land and gets muddy easily, I wouldn't floor it. It's cheaper and better for your pony if it's dirt.

3. Just check for ones for sale on Donedeal, the Dealer (if you get it) and other Equine selling magazines. You shouldn't need to go to a breeders. I would imagine it would be slightly more expensive as most breeders look for good pedigree.

4. Other than what I've mentioned already, just simple things like aim to get a gelding as they're more likely to be quiet, keep up to date with worming, de-liceing etc and keep an eye out for laminitis which is prone in smaller ponies :)

Thanks for all your help :)
    You've helped give me a better idea now of what I'll need to sort and organise !
    Lets hope that soon we'll have a lovely little pony addition to the family !

I'll keep all your advice in mind .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I'm sorry but I would be inclined to disagree with the other poster. Ponies regardless of their size are her herd animals. It would not be fair to keep a pony on it's own without other equine company. They do need to have interaction with another animal, preferably another equine.

I don't think a back garden in an estate would be fair to the pony or your neighbours. Will you have a way of disposing of a muck heap and how will the build up of a muck heap affect your neighbours? Ponies also need some sort of hard ground to stand on to allow their feet to dry out as the hoof is porous, not as much as a donkey but they still need to be able to dry.

What size is the garden exactly? I know you said it is large but how large?

Hello,
    I understand where you are coming from as the poost does sound deceiving.

I know they need company and I have considered that and I am lookng into buying two ( geldings as I couldn't cope with baby foals )

The garden is 3/4 of an acre and I call it an estate but it is really a small collection of houses in the country.
    The muck heap will be collected by the local farmer as I have asked and he is more than happy to help. As for hard ground , I would provide some in the shelter ( half floored and half not )

I understand where your coming from and I appricate your advice and opinion .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

To be honest I wouldn't consider it suitable. When you say your garden is 3/4 of an acre that probably includes your house,drive,patio etc. Miniatures eat a surprising amount and in the winter when it is wet you will be surprised how badly they can poach the ground with their hooves despite their size leaving the ground in a mess and your garden looking an eyesore. They also leave a surprising amount of dung which will smell and isn't pleasant close to your house/garden area. They can escape. You would need an entire area completely fenced off without any garden shrubs etc. Ideally you need to be able to move them from patch to patch so I would consider a minimum of 3/4 acres entirely dedicated to a paddock. They are herd animals and they would prefer a companion which definitely wouldn't be an option for you. Also your neighbours may not like it and you may be left with an animal that you have no choice but to get rid of it. I'm not sure where you would stand with the local council depending on the area you live in. From 1st May 2012 anybody with an equine has to register their premises with the Dept of Agriculture. You also sound young. You would need to consider that your life will be changing and you may not live their forever and are not in a position to commit to a horse leaving a sad and lonely animal behind you. Please give it careful consideration. Somebody local with horses might be happy for you to help care for theirs so you can have the contact but not the commitment.

When I say my garden is 3/4 of an acre I mean my grass area is 3/4 of an acre .
    As for their dung , I have already said it will be taken away regulary by the farmer so thats not a major issue . It would be a very secure area for them as I am aware of them escaping . I have talked with neighbours and they have no problem with it - if they did we would evaluate the situation and make alternative arrangements . We are settled in our house for the forseeable future and like everything of course you don't know where life will lead you but that shouldn't stop you from doing things . If I were to move then of course I would rehome or find new land to keepthe pony . I have contact with local horses but I feel now that I want to take on one of my own . I appreciate everyones comments and I am seeking advice from a local stud owner . So thank you all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

As for their dung , I have already said it will be taken away regulary by the farmer so thats not a major issue . It would be a very secure area for them as I am aware of them escaping . I have talked with neighbours and they have no problem with it - if they did we would evaluate the situation and make alternative arrangements . We are settled in our house for the forseeable future and like everything of course you don't know where life will lead you but that shouldn't stop you from doing things . If I were to move then of course I would rehome or find new land to keepthe pony . I have contact with local horses but I feel now that I want to take on one of my own . I appreciate everyones comments and I am seeking advice from a local stud owner . So thank you all .

Although I'm not entirely sure you have the correct facilities your heart seems to be in the right place and once you get two you may be ok with them. Try the ispca and the Irish horse welfare trust, if they don't have anything suitable the will certainly give you good free advice. Good luck and enjoy if you go ahead:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Although I'm not entirely sure you have the correct facilities your heart seems to be in the right place and once you get two you may be ok with them. Try the ispca and the Irish horse welfare trust, if they don't have anything suitable the will certainly give you good free advice. Good luck and enjoy if you go ahead:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would always suggest homing horses/ponies in pairs, think about a donkey as company & hope they get on... They are social animals.

Thank you for all the suggestions .
    I will enquire at rescue centres first and maybe find a suitable one.
    I will of course be getting the land check by a knowledgable person so have no fears I wont be doing anything unsuitable :)

Advertisement