Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC ping times

• 06-04-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Anyone else experiencing high latency spikes ? in or around Kildare ;)

Latency would be averaging about 30-50ms then intermittent spikes every few seconds between 90 - 200ms.

This is destroying my online gaming !

Was onto UPC Tech support but high latency issues do not compute with them. They kept wanting bandwidth tests done and checking the wireless aswell ! Even though I told them I dont use the wireless.

Even had a technician out and he says the line is great.

If theres no solution to this think the only option is to move back to DSL or try this Metro wireless broadband that Digiweb provides ...

Any other recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm getting these pings in Dublin (this more than doubles when I connect wirelessly = up to about 24).

upc_ping.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

run a continuous ping to www.rte.ie using the
    ping www.rte.ie -t

command in the command prompt. If you notice that it's spiking even when no one else is connected to the router then they should look into it in more detail.

Also, run www.pingtest.net and see if you are getting any dropped packets. Tell them if you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

run a continuous ping to www.rte.ie using the
    ping www.rte.ie -t

command in the command prompt. If you notice that it's spiking even when no one else is connected to the router then they should look into it in more detail.

Also, run www.pingtest.net and see if you are getting any dropped packets. Tell them if you are

Ive sent UPC screenshots of continuous pings to their provider edge and my next hop address.
    Dont seem to be getting packet loss but the engineer said that these spikes could be some packets getting lost along the way and being recreated.

Emailed them again anyway ! Hopefully dont get 1st level phoning me again checking my wireless settings !

Could someone put a screenshot of pinging you next hop address ?

@ Grizzly I cant see the picture you tried to attach

Advertisement