Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The National Lottery Licence

• 06-04-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Is up for renewal. The Government want to flog it so they can get an up-front payment to fund the National Children's Hospital. So here we have a state-run lottery, generating huge revenues, and will do so for a long time ahead. And we want to sell it? FFS:rolleyes:

Should the National Lottery Franchise be retained by An Post? 10 votes

Yes
    10% 1 vote
    No
    90% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Is up for renewal. The Government want to flog it so they can get an up-front payment to fund the National Children's Hospital. So here we have a state-run lottery, generating huge revenues, and will do so for a long time ahead. And we want to sell it? FFS:rolleyes:

To fund the National Children's Hospital, or so I'm told...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

well it's either dip into the National Lottery fund which I won't be winning anyway or the alternative is for them to dip further into our pockets.

I like the idea, money up front, plug a hole, screw the charity's and me / you ain't gonna win the lotto anyway so for me this is a win win decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Well nothing will change as far as the charity's are concerned, they still get 30% of the revenue. The only looser would be An Post who are also entitled to apply for the licence, I think it just brings competition into the deal, whereby the operation of the lottery can be more efficient. With the Added bonus that there is a financial windfall in the short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Flog it and build a hospital. Win-win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    well it's either dip into the National Lottery fund which I won't be winning anyway or the alternative is for them to dip further into our pockets.

I like the idea, money up front, plug a hole, screw the charity's and me / you ain't gonna win the lotto anyway so for me this is a win win decision.

The interesting thing that came out is that only 30% of the money goes to worthy causes. I had thought it was more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The interesting thing that came out is that only 30% of the money goes to worthy causes. I had thought it was more than that.

While donating to Charity looks good and is the right thing to do IMO we shouldn't be doing that for at least a decade until we can afford to starting givng money away again.

We need to fix our own mess first and then donate to charity once again when we're back on our feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    While donating to Charity looks good and is the right thing to do IMO we shouldn't be doing that for at least a decade until we can afford to starting givng money away again.

We need to fix our own mess first and then donate to charity once again when we're back on our feet.

True. Especially when some of the 'worthy causes' have been golf clubs in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement