Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Social Welfare system

• 06-04-2012 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Do we have any posters who work in Social Welfare. Listed below are what, allegedly, SW provides payments for. Many of these are dismissed as urban myths. It would be nice to find out which are - and which aren't. The communion "payment" highlighted only one aspect of this last year.

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I heard they pay for boob jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Do we have any posters who work in Social Welfare. Listed below are what, allegedly, SW provides payments for. Many of these are dismissed as urban myths. It would be nice to find out which are - and which aren't. The communion "payment" highlighted only one aspect of this last year.

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

Of course they pay for broadband and tv, broadband and tv are basics nowadays, if a household appliance needs replacing obviously you would have to use your social welfare payment to buy a new one
    Stupid Thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Of course, on my €190 pw I maintain..

a Rolls Royce, and a Porsche for the OH.
    a 6ft wide plasma TV, had to build a new extension for that
    I have 1 Gbs broadband (I sometimes play the markets when the racing isn't on).
    I take 5 holidays a year (those frequent flier miles rack up quick).

The moon is also made of blue cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

They have a website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Do we need two threads for your personal rants today?

If you so hate everything about this country you really should just pack up and leave, there really is no point staying here if it is causing you this much anguish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Of course, on my €190 pw I maintain..

a Rolls Royce, and a Porsche for the OH.
    a 6ft wide plasma TV, had to build a new extension for that
    I have 1 Gbs broadband (I sometimes play the markets when the racing isn't on).
    I take 5 holidays a year (those frequent flier miles rack up quick).

The moon is also made of blue cheese.

Don't bullsh1t, the moon isn't made of blue cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Payments for kids going up as you have more?

Seriously, wtf???? :confused::confused::confused:

No wonder so many mongs voted for Bertie and the rest of the crooks. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

RATM wrote: »

This is true. It is made of Camembert but the Yanks hushed it up in case the French claimed the moon was theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

Why don't you just look it up yourself? All the payments are here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Tis the dole cheats who ruined this country and until we slash the basic living standards of normal folk we'll never achieve smug self satisfaction. THE END.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Cool Mo D wrote: »

It does not state what the 'once-off or exceptional needs' are, they are at the discretion of the CWO.(like the Communion grant) Hence it could be anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Tis the dole cheats who ruined this country and until we slash the basic living standards of normal folk we'll never achieve smug self satisfaction. THE END.
    I thought single mothers have been the ruination of this country.

We should introduce forced abortions and steralisations for some dancing at the crossroads for others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The SW don't buy cars.

The HSE does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

I thought single mothers have been the ruination of this country.

We should introduce forced abortions and steralisations for some dancing at the crossroads for others!

Yes, their lack of morality forced the FFers into the bank guarantee. I read it in Alive, the catholic newspaper. Great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

You said urban myths.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/immigrants.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

They'll buy you a pram and then give you a new one every time you leave it at the bus stop:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RATM wrote: »
    It's wensleydale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

But that's the US, in Ireland all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The SW don't buy cars.

The HSE does.

I've seen the HSE pay for private healthcare for someone because their social worker wasn't happy with the waiting list in the public hospital.

But that's the US, in Ireland all bets are off.

Only on Good Friday.

• Advertisement

I've seen the HSE pay for private healthcare for someone because their social worker wasn't happy with the waiting list in the public hospital.

What medical condition were they treated for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

What medical condition were they treated for?

A fake one actually.

It was for nerve conduction studies on a hand.

A fake one actually.

Suddenly I'm an expert on nerve conduction studies. It appears to be real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerve_conduction_study

A fake one actually.

So they were referred to a study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The SW don't buy cars.

The HSE does.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Yes, their lack of morality forced the FFers into the bank guarantee. I read it in Alive, the catholic newspaper. Great read.

:eek::eek::eek:OMG, you closed your account:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes, if you're waiting twelve months or so they have a fund set aside to purchase private treatment for you

That's been around for years, hardly a secret

National Treatment Purchase fund is the obvious and boring name afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As someone who lived in the Nordic countries for decades - and is in the fortunate position of having a choice between Tullamore Hospital and the Helsinki University Central Hospital for serious surgery (guess which one I chose) - it seems to me posters here think being on welfare in Ireland is some kind of nirvana. For most people it's no pic nic, and especially since there are plenty around who begrude them every bite of food they take. In a prosperous, fairly developed country, the whole idea of a social welfare system is to enable people who, for one reason or another, are unable to provide for themselves to lead a life of human dignity. Naturally, the system should be as efficient as possible to avoid abuse and imaginative, well-resourced programmes to get as many as possible back into the workforce and the tax net need to be put in place..:)

It is not for nothing that people are often called "human resources.:cool:

They are worth protecting and developing.

Cheating and willingness to share society's resources must be treated as separate matters.

If we did as some propose and slash the Irish welfare state down to the level of that in some of the poorer EU members, then undoubtedly some non-nationals will return to their countries of origin. But how many Irish will leave as well?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Re holidays and cars: does the Department of Social Welfare book holidays with Budget Travel/set up a payment plan with Windsor Motors, or how does it work?

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    As someone who lived in the Nordic countries for decades - and is in the fortunate position of having a choice between Tullamore Hospital and the Helsinki University Central Hospital for serious surgery (guess which one I chose) - it seems to me posters here think being on welfare in Ireland is some kind of nirvana. For most people it's no pic nic, and especially since there are plenty around who begrude them every bite of food they take. In a prosperous, fairly developed country, the whole idea of a social welfare system is to enable people who, for one reason or another, are unable to provide for themselves to lead a life of human dignity. Naturally, the system should be as efficient as possible to avoid abuse and imaginative, well-resourced programmes to get as many as possible back into the workforce and the tax net need to be put in place..:)

It is not for nothing that people are often called "human resources.:cool:

They are worth protecting and developing.

Cheating and willingness to share society's resources must be treated as separate matters.

If we did as some propose and slash the Irish welfare state down to the level of that in some of the poorer EU members, then undoubtedly some non-nationals will return to their countries of origin. But how many Irish will leave as well?:D:D

You might have escaped the fact that they are leaving anyway.

USA? Not Ireland. What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Cool Mo D wrote: »

What would Freddie post about if he checked the things himself?

We'd also have to deal with less money being spent in the economy. People on social welfare (despite what is usually offered up in AH as 'fact') tend to spend all their money, as they can't save anything on 188 euro a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dudess wrote: »
    Re holidays and cars: does the Department of Social Welfare book holidays with Budget Travel/set up a payment plan with Windsor Motors, or how does it work?

Right, first you get laid of or better still never have a job in the first place,then go up to your local social welfare office and explain in your most saddest way that you just need a car and a holiday as everyone else seems to have them,promise that you will look for a job and pay back the money when you get one,After leaving social office person crying with emotion and guarantees to help you, you skip of back to the local pub while you await for the next horse race to begin. Happy days & simples :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Never fails to amaze me the response these bullsh1t threads get.

These seems to be a segment of the population that blame those in receipt of Social Welfare as the root cause of this country's ills and conveniently forget the damage caused by the developers and bankers backed up by their mates in Fianna Fail.
    Pretty cowardly to attack a fairly weak group if you ask me.....

A lot of crap is spouted about benefits available , an example is the rumour that Social Welfare pay a ' Pet Allowance ' to help pay for pet food and vet bills. Total bollox of course - there is a benefit payable to the owners of Guide Dogs only but sure why let the real facts get in the way of a good story that allows the stirring up of hatred against what is overall a pretty vulnerable section of society.

Like I said , easy to be a coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

If they cut Welfare in the next budget I may strongly have to think about cutting down on the maid's hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

* Cars
    * Household appliances
    * Broadband/TV payments
    * Holidays
    * and more

Over to you.

there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

552989_10150668716007852_589867851_9554733_723895687_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Agricola wrote: »
    I heard they pay for boob jobs.

Know someone who got this done, not sure if social welfare paid for it or HSE but this girl i know got the op done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Know someone who got this done, not sure if social welfare paid for it or HSE but this girl i know got the op done.

I'd imagine there is extremely rigorous criteria, like being completely flat chested, for having a boob job done through the public health system (if it happens at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

USA? Not Ireland. What's your point?

That what you listed in the OP has little or no basis in fact. There are "emergency payments" that can be used for items like washing machines and the like, afaik. They will not pay for your the internet, satellite TV etc. There's no such thing as free cars or holidays. Or mobile phones. The last three I've only heard mentioned in relation to Asylum seekers, I might add, so I'd suggest you may have heard a story in mutation there.

It really was the Governments failure to combat these stories when they started in the late 90's that's led to them being so ingrained now.

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    Never fails to amaze me the response these bullsh1t threads get.

These seems to be a segment of the population that blame those in receipt of Social Welfare as the root cause of this country's ills and conveniently forget the damage caused by the developers and bankers backed up by their mates in Fianna Fail.
    Pretty cowardly to attack a fairly weak group if you ask me.....

A lot of crap is spouted about benefits available , an example is the rumour that Social Welfare pay a ' Pet Allowance ' to help pay for pet food and vet bills. Total bollox of course - there is a benefit payable to the owners of Guide Dogs only but sure why let the real facts get in the way of a good story that allows the stirring up of hatred against what is overall a pretty vulnerable section of society.

Like I said , easy to be a coward.

So asking out the waste of public money is to 'be a coward'?:rolleyes: we have a population of 4.5m - yet there are some SEVEN MILLION PPS numbers circulating. And as for a fairly weak group, that certainly is not case case with a sizable amount. There are many working people who are in a way weaker position, and get none of the benefits that the unemployed are entitled to.

Nodin wrote: »
    That what you listed in the OP has little or no basis in fact. There are "emergency payments" that can be used for items like washing machines and the like, afaik. They will not pay for your the internet, satellite TV etc. There's no such thing as free cars or holidays. Or mobile phones. The last three I've only heard mentioned in relation to Asylum seekers, I might add, so I'd suggest you may have heard a story in mutation there.

It really was the Governments failure to combat these stories when they started in the late 90's that's led to them being so ingrained now.

'As far as you know' as you put it. So that's definitive then? because you know it? Have you ever spoken to someone who works in a SW office Nod?

there you go.

And your evidence of this is?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So asking out the waste of public money is to 'be a coward'?:rolleyes: we have a population of 4.5m - yet there are some SEVEN MILLION PPS numbers circulating. And as for a fairly weak group, that certainly is not case case with a sizable amount. There are many working people who are in a way weaker position, and get none of the benefits that the unemployed are entitled to.

You say you're asking for answers but I have yet to see any evidence that you have ever listened to any of the answers you get.

You say you're asking for answers but I have yet to see any evidence that you have ever listened to any of the answers you get.

The answers consist of people offering their opinion, not fact. "As far as they know" blah, blah, etc. These are not answers. They are legitimate question, whether or not some take offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

If they cut Welfare in the next budget I may strongly have to think about cutting down on the maid's hours.

boo hoo for you :mad:, think of the poor people who'll have to use briquettes to light the fire instead of wads of cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hopefully the 200,000 who were too lazy to get a job during boom years.
    Those who were genuinely too sick to work though are excused but I've know several people who apparently were too sick to work yet was in the local pub and bookies every night.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd imagine there is extremely rigorous criteria, like being completely flat chested, for having a boob job done through the public health system (if it happens at all).

I'd say if it's done it has more to do with breast cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'As far as you know' as you put it. So that's definitive then? because you know it? Have you ever spoken to someone who works in a SW office Nod?

Yep.

You ever found a form to fill out for a free car or holiday?
    The answers consist of people offering their opinion, not fact. "As far as they know" blah, blah, etc.

This is what you get for trying to be moderate in tone......

Allow me to clarify then, in precise terms - There are no free cars, holidays, satellite payments, broadband or mobile phones. You asked the question "do they exist" and I can say no, because you will be unable to find any reference to same on any Government website whatsoever. A cursory search would have shown that, but do you bother looking? No - sure why bother.....rabble rabble rabble is far more fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement