Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vue cinema Liffey Valley

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

What's the grub like in that cinema? Do they do buttered popcorn, nobody seems to any more:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The food is terrible. And ridiculously overpriced. I think it's 4 or 5 euro for a bottle of water. Go into Boots next door like everyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Buttered poopcorn is no more thanks to the short shelf life the "butter" had. It was one of the first things to go when cost-cutting began.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Odeon/UCI still do buttered popcorn in their cinemas. Seems to have become an endangered species elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

robvondoom wrote: »
    Buttered poopcorn is no more thanks to the short shelf life the "butter" had. It was one of the first things to go when cost-cutting began.

I thought it was the health police that had gotten it abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The new cinema in Tallaght sells buttered popcorn I think and the tickets are a bit cheaper. Hopefully Vue will lower their ridiculous ticket prices now that they ave a bit of competition in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Wish I had done a bit of research before heading there yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't expect to be ripped off by so much and having seen this and an older thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77691747 I see others have been too.

I know the old story of if you don't like the price of it don't pay it, but say that to an 11 year old girl, (my daughter standing beside me dying to see the film), and you will find it hard to walk away from the counter.

The cost for me and her to a 3D film was €26 and not a bit of popcorn in sight. I understand that costs have to be covered and a fair margin made, but are they trying to get the Shuttle program back on track?

I asked one of the lads, (in a nice manner as it's hardly his call on ticket prices), why they had become so dear? He answered in a way that I surmised he has been asked this many times saying, " Ye I know what you mean and the increase has been recent and given that the Square cinema had re-opened that customers may look to been patrons there instead". He was apologetic to which I said fair dues and understood it wasn't him that should be relaying this to their customers, however I agreed that they will definitely be losing custom by the droves.

I have been to the Square cinema a number of times since it's opening and have to agree that for the price difference and exactly the same Cinema experience I will always go back to the Square. Just happened to be in Liffey Valley and thought Vue would be of a similar price range........unfortunately this is definitely not the case.

Nice staff, nice cinema..........terrible pricing........I won't be back but everyone has a choice, mine was mis-informed unfortunately on this occasion, lesson learned I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, they increased their prices a while. It was costing me €7 to go during the day. That's now gone up to 7.35, I think. I generally avoid the place on Fridays and the weekend as they fleece you.

I'm thinking about getting a Cineworld Unlimited card and travelling out to town. I go to the cinema a lot, so I'd save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Thanks, yes "fleece" is a word that I would use only for I think shafted would be a better choice of word. I felt like the proverbial prisoner reaching for the soap on the floor trick :)

Cineworld looks like a good deal, I will look into it now, thanks for your post, (I would use the thanks button but can't due to my low post count), and hopefully others will go the direction you pointed me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

used to always go, but due to the price it was cheaper to buy a giant plasma and top notch surround sound kit. about 40 euro for a family of 4. so if we go on average every forthnight then its about........calculator.......1040 euro. oh, and i have to have an ice cream another 5 euro. tis crazy so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every time I go they try to upsell me to VIP seating
    Not interested

But I've been in the back of plenty of screens and can't find this VIP seating anywhere, all the seats are the same

Is there a balcony somewhere?
    What's the extra for?

• Advertisement

The VIP seats are the leather seats in the middle of the theatre. All the theatres have them.

I actually find the regular seats more comfortable. And tbh you can sit just about anywhere and get a good view of the screen. It's one of the things I really like about Vue.

I usually get tickets from the machines. Do they still give vouchers for your next visit at the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think it is the dearest cinema in Ireland. There are better and cheaper cinemas nearby in Tallaght and dundrum. Only thing going for it is free parking and late night showings

Advertisement