Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad products to use

• 06-04-2012 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

I was just wondering, since I went to the benefit counter yesterday I was talking to the assistant(well more like being quizzed by) and she was explaining that soap and glory are really bad for your skin, well facial wise anyway.
    Now I quite like their bright now bright here as it leaves a lovely glow but I stopped using the face wash and other stuff due to the smell more than anything.
    And face wipes are very bad for your skin aswell? I did not know that, I usually use them around my eyes nose and chin as Ive an oily tzone, but Im jus wondering how true the above really is cause after all it wasnt coming from an independent beautican, as helpful as she was I cant help feel that I was being advised against other brand names.

Ive only recently bought the body shop vitamin e facial wash cause its alot cheaper than benefit and vitamin e cant be bad for your skin.
    So im wondering how much different beauticians can bend the truth a lil, not in a malicious way but just to sell a product

Sorry for long ass post :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

My friend swears by Soap and Glory stuff but I have not tried it myself.

I use Dermalogica pre cleanse every night followed by the special cleansing gel. I can't really afford to use it anymore so I have recently bought No7 melting cleansing gel and their cream cleanser to try.

I did beauty therapy in college years ago but I never made a career out of it. I was always of the impression facial wipes should only be used as a last resort.

Cleanse twice, tone and moisturise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm a civil for using face wipes far too often - it makes sense that you shouldnt rely on then because they don't really 'clean' very well. I might look into that body shop vit E cream.

Back OT though, I went for a manicure at the weekend and the nail technician gave me a right bollocking for using Sally Hansen nail care - she said its dreadful apparently :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I have been told facial wipe are very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

g'em wrote: »
    I'm a civil for using face wipes far too often - it makes sense that you shouldnt rely on then because they don't really 'clean' very well. I might look into that body shop vit E cream.

Back OT though, I went for a manicure at the weekend and the nail technician gave me a right bollocking for using Sally Hansen nail care - she said its dreadful apparently :confused:

What brand is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

mood wrote: »
    What brand is ok?

The Brand she works for obviously!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

mood wrote: »
    What brand is ok?
    ladypip wrote: »
    The Brand she works for obviously!:D

It was an OPI stockist so ten guesses which brand she recommended :D

I love their polish but the treatment polishes are over €20, far too expensive for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

It was an OPI stockist so ten guesses which brand she recommended :D

I love their polish but the treatment polishes are over €20, far too expensive for me!

I just bought their nail hardener Envy yesterday it was €22 but I got cuticle oil free with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

And Ive never had a problem with sally hansen, in fact she has one of the best cuticle remover gels ive come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

You definitely have to take advice from counter staff (who are mostly not trained therapists and are only product trained in their own brands) as well as salons who stock particular ranges with a pinch of salt!!

Different products suit different skin, whats on the shelves in Boots etc is all safe for use so is ok to use in terms that its not going to make your fingers fall off etc. Sally Hansen have great products, personally I prefer OPI and a lot of advice is just down to personal preference.
    I think it is hard to know whats worth spending on, whats a good budget range etc because theres a heap of advertising out there and unless you are trained in cosmetic science/skin its hard to know what ingredients are worth the money!
    Soap and Glory have some good stuff but I wouldnt use their facial range as I think its harsh and way too perfumed. Their body scrub, shower range and body lotions are lovely though.
    Blogs are great for reviews, as are forums like this. I am a qualified beauty therapist and have done additional courses in cosmetic science, I take forever buying stuff because I read all the ingredients of everything!!
    Wipes are BAD though, definitely a last resort. If wipes are used to take off initial make up and then a full double cleanse etc is done then fine, but get decent quality wipes that arent rough and dragging your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That's good advice Jennypops. I find that from reading posts - there are things some people hate that work great for me.
    Just out of interest, what do you need to look for in the ingredients? Are there specific ones that should be avoided?

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    That's good advice Jennypops. I find that from reading posts - there are things some people hate that work great for me.
    Just out of interest, what do you need to look for in the ingredients? Are there specific ones that should be avoided?

Yeah I find that too, some products I swear by, other people just have a totally different experience.
    I think a lot of it is down to what are you actually trying to achieve with your skin.
    For me, Im 33 and really concious of taking great care of my skin, Im lucky I havent got wrinkles (except the start of some crows feet when I smile but thats another story which might involve botox at a not too distant point in the future!!) I mainly focus on protection and keeping cells turning over. I cleanse twice, tone, moisturise twice daily..I exfoliate every other day and have a few different moisturisers I use at different times of the day/week. I look for ingredients like retinol, glycolic, and rhamnose- a newer ingredient found to stimulate collagan production just under the basal layer of the skin. SPF 30 or higher, and things like hyaluronic acid. Eye cream with SPF is important and I also love La Roche Posay Thermal Water...I use a lot of their products including the Rosaliac range.

I think as long as skin is keep cleansed well and broad spectrum spf of at least 30 or higher all year round (higher when very sunny etc) and moisturising that should keep skin well maintained..exfoliation is really important and one of the only products that I cant live without is Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant- there is nothing else like it for me, its amazing. I hate scrubs with bits in them, they drag at your skin and generally dont contain the ingredients you need to actually get the cell turnover going the way you want it.

Sorry epic post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Thats funny because Benefit skincare products and Soap and Glory skincare are practically the same! Their brand ethos, ingredients they use and packaging are VERY similar! Only difference is the price-Benefit is more expensive and that sales assistant would obviously push her own brand for commission etc.

In my personal opinion, I dont like Benefit/Soap and Glory skincare (face) becaus e both are packed with chemicals and Benefit is prodominantly a make up brand. I don't trust make up brands bringing out skincare!

Everyone's skin is different and it's trial and error most of the time. I personally like products by Elemis, Ren, Shu Uemura and Kiehl's.

beauty101 wrote: »
    Thats funny because Benefit skincare products and Soap and Glory skincare are practically the same! Their brand ethos, ingredients they use and packaging are VERY similar! Only difference is the price-Benefit is more expensive and that sales assistant would obviously push her own brand for commission etc.

In my personal opinion, I dont like Benefit/Soap and Glory skincare (face) becaus e both are packed with chemicals and Benefit is prodominantly a make up brand. I don't trust make up brands bringing out skincare!

Everyone's skin is different and it's trial and error most of the time. I personally like products by Elemis, Ren, Shu Uemura and Kiehl's.

Yep Soap and Glory is definitely the cheap version of Benefit, but I do think that price differences come down to the quality & quantity of key ingredients. Ive never tried any Benefit skin care, it doesnt really appeal to me. I wouldnt have an issue with a make up brand having a skin care range, I actually think its a great idea- and not forgetting that the brands are owned by huge corporations that will have major skincare brands already under their belt, so adding a skin care range to a successful make up range makes great business sense. I think Benefit is owned by LVMH, they own Dior and Make up Forever.
    Its all a huge marketing thing really with high street & boutique ranges, they are all owned by massive companies, target profiles of each brand done and products released/repackaged according to range.
    I LOVE Elemis and Kiehls, whats REN like?

Just to confirm my doctor who is also a dermatologist told me make up wipes were a big no no, and I used to use them all the time! Still am guilty for relying on them when too tired to do a proper clean (tut tut I know :rolleyes:) but trying to avoid them as much as I can! They're pretty expensive anyway to be using all the time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I find Benefit absolutely atrocious on my skin, although I do have eczema and very sensitive skin. I find their mascaras rubbish for the price you're paying and any cosmetics manufacturers that supplies products in a "one size fits all" type of manner are not worth spending your money on.

I use Soap & Glory body washes, hand cream and body cream and they invoke no reaction from my skin which instantly makes me give the brand a 10/10.

I don't think anyone can really say what products are brilliant and what ones are not on a general scale. I'm after saying Benefit is rubbish but I'm sure there are plenty of posters who find it brilliant and other who find it crap too.

Everybody is different and there are far too many factors to consider (skin type, skin condition etc.) when recommending or slating products for anything to be written off completely based on a general view.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Double cleansing?! Never heard of this before!

Great thread. I use Soap and Glory Hot Pore Cleanser and I like it. I was using Eve Lom which is SO expensive and I've use Liz Earle Cleaner. I like using the muslin cloths.

I quite like the Soap and Glory cleanser but I've never used any other of their products expect the mascara which was horrible!

I'd love to have a better routine as I do have mild acne, enlarged pores and an oily Tzone but I'm so lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

CBFi wrote: »

Great thread. I use Soap and Glory Hot Pore Cleanser and I like it. I was using Eve Lom which is SO expensive and I've use Liz Earle Cleaner. I like using the muslin cloths.

sorry off topic but what are the soap and glory clothes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

im a beauty therpist but i have no problem in saying that people should use what suits there skin rather than feeling the need to splash out on really expensive products that go down the drain and sometimes actually dont work!
    There are some fantastic high end products out there that i love and find fantastic but ive found others that are just as good, dont cause breakouts and dont make a huge dent in my purse.
    I love Soap and Glory but their cleanser (peachy clean or something) is way to harsh for me, its strips my skin. Their thermal face mask is lovely but it makes dry patches turn blue!! So i always find little blue patches on my nose or chin which look rediculous haha
    There concealer is ok but cos im sooo pale the lightest shade looks like a golden highlighter under my eyes so i actually add it to foundation to give a bit of colour and a glow!! :) The body wash and creams are devine and so is the FCUK body cream that comes in a pink pot. Delicious! :)
    Anything by Simple / Clearasil / Clean and Clear are dreadful!
    Ive used a cleaser by Estee Lauder and it was horrible made my skin itchy and sensitive.

Estee lauder double wear mascara / eyeliner is the flakiest thing i have ever used in my life it actually is impossible to get a solid black line with the liner!

Im actually a fan of Boots Natural Collections mascara, cheap and long lasting. Rimmel foundations are way to dark and orange and Revlons Colourstay is too pale and drying.

I could go on! ive tried so many cos my skin has been problematic almost all my life.
    Its only in the last 6months - 1 year that its calmed down and i think its cos i went veggie and found some good products that dont react on my skin :)

• CBFi wrote: »

I quite like the Soap and Glory cleanser but I've never used any other of their products expect the mascara which was horrible!

I'd love to have a better routine as I do have mild acne, enlarged pores and an oily Tzone but I'm so lazy!

I find the mascara great. One of the best I've ever used. Hate most of their other products - the creams are way too perfumed and their face mask gave me a terrible red rash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I haven't used much soap and glory but I have used the fab pore face mask. I gave it a fair go and used it diligently once a week for about 2 months before accepting that it was the mask that was causing my spots and red bits on my face to flare up. Think I'll stay clear of their skincare!

• Advertisement
Advertisement