Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non gaming headphones with mikes

• 06-04-2012 3:17pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I think this might be a challenge :)

I am looking for headphones with mics attached which will work with a mixing desk for commentary a la sporting events.

The trick here is- common VoIP or gaming ones won't work. They'll fry or just fail because they type of mic they are (electrec I think is the name) use 5v but a mixing desk for proper mike outputs 12 so they just don't work.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Any reasonable cost solutions? I need 2 minimum head sets, I'd like to keep the cost in to 50 quid range each.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I thought most "proper" microphones use 48 V aka Phantom Power over XLR. Are you sure about that 12 V?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Brian wrote: »
    I thought most "proper" microphones use 48 V aka Phantom Power over XLR. Are you sure about that 12 V?

12 V is the minimum but yes some use PHANTOM POWER (you need to write it like that or it doesn't work). Generally you can disable the ghost energy and I get the feeling finding a non PHANTOM POWER headset would be more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

These would be considered "industry standard". They work with phantom power from 12 to 48VDC which should suit your needs. Not cheap though !!

Available from Broadcast Technical Services in Bluebell.

Ken

Advertisement