Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scariest Trip Away

• 06-04-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I know we have all been away in our lives some time or other but was there ever a time you just wondered why you did this, personally i was in Moscow years ago and was happy to just get home at the end of it, place was corrupt and safety wasnt the best both on the streets and and the car we were in but some of the scenes there were unbelievable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I had a bit of a disagreement over some "herbs" with a local in Marrakesh who wanted a shot of my then girlfriend for the privilege.

Making my escape was not pleasant !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I once flew to Paris and almost as soon as I got onboard the Captain sent me down a bottle of Champagne and the other passengers kept giving me dirty looks and pushing me out of the way whenever I walked past.

I had been looking forward to a nice relaxing time but that just made it hell for me :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Steven81 wrote: »
    I know we have all been away in our lives some time or other but was there ever a time you just wondered why you did this, personally i was in Moscow years ago and was happy to just get home at the end of it, place was corrupt and safety wasnt the best both on the streets and and the car we were in but some of the scenes there were unbelievable.

Elaborate on the scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Funny, was in Moscow a year ago and ended up drinking vodka and Sibirskaya Korona with some Russians at a bar. Ended up wandering through the streets of Moscow at 4a.m. and not a taxi in sight. Remembered in some lonely planet guide that Russians typically just stick out their hand and get a lift off a passing motorist for a few quid. I was drunk enough to think this was a good idea and ended up in the back of a Lada with a rust hole in the floor that you could see the road through whilst speeding through some very dodgy looking tower block areas. The relief when my hotel finally hove into view was indescribable. I think I gave the chap driving the equivalent of 30 quid in rubles I was so happy he didn't murder me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I once flew to Paris and almost as soon as I got onboard the Captain sent me down a bottle of Champagne and the other passengers kept giving me dirty looks and pushing me out of the way whenever I walked past.

I had been looking forward to a nice relaxing time but that just made it hell for me :(.

Sounds absolutely horrible, how did u ever survive it, my god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Sounds absolutely horrible, how did u ever survive it, my god

Luckily I had my compact with me and whenever I feared most for my safety, I'd look at my face in the mirror to relax myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Over for a match years ago in Moscow and got my own way there, managed to get to the ground ok but people that used the underground were attacked, soccer group of hooligans were out to attack the Irish and got them in main square during middle of day and a lot of bruised Irish turning up, were lucky that we got a taxi straight after match again a lada and it felt we were in a formula 1 car in the streets of Moscow, overtook on left lane, right lane anywhere he could find, we werewarned to make sure the Visas were over by a day or 2 as there was a tendency to delay things by a few hours so you were illegal in the country and only way out was by a few euros. On the more positive side though the vodka was good

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

For me, it has to be last summer. I went to Belgium for a week, and for a few days of that we were supposed to go to a music festival (had a cracking line-up and everything!). Anyway, we get there around midday on a scorcher of a summer's day, set up the tents etc and go off for a wander around the festival site. Of course, being Irish we associated "Music Festival" with wellies, and all the belgians are walking around in flip-flops and shorts :o

Anyway, we were waiting in one of the huge gazebo-things around 6pm that evening for the first band we wanted to see and this enormous storm just comes from nowhere. One minute the sky's totally clear and blue, the next there's a mini hurricane. We're talking gale force winds and an insane amount of rain :eek: In the course of about 20-30 minutes more rain fell than in an entire year or something crazy like that. Trees were crashing down and at a stage beside ours, one tree killed 8 people. Our own gazebo-thing was rocking around wildly in the wind and we were terrified it was gonna collapse and kill us too. Everyone was panicking.

And then, as soon as it had come the storm was gone again. Here we were, stranded in the middle of Belgium where all the announcements were being made in rapid Dutch and none of us could understand a word. We eventually decided to leave - we made our way back to our tents to find they'd collapsed and everything was soaked/ruined. After salvaging what we could we made our way to the nearest train station only to find it was closed. We walked for a very very very long time to the next one and just about managed to hop on the last train back to Brussels.

It wasn't exactly how I'd planned the weekend :mad:. We did discover later that the rest festival had been cancelled so we were glad we left in the end. It was a pretty sobering experience though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

After a session at a sea side bar in Cancun me and a couple of lads decided to wanted to head to a strip bar .
    The bar man (shady as fùck) suggested he drive us to his "local" .
    Well we went in his car through the darkest non-lit streets miles from the resort, and eventually pulled up at a Warehouse with a single door open and bouncer .

Inside was like something out of Dusk-til-Dawn and a real eye opener.

Let's say some of Mexicos finest were there and when four Irish pasty looking guys walked in the whole heads turned with "well what have we got here"

We lasted and drank for about an hour and the problems really began when we tried to leave . There was a "tax" for enjoying the ladies company .
    When I say company I mean to have seen them on stage .

One of the lads had some Dutch courage and argued his case which quickly got quased by the bar man who had brought us there, who kindly informed us to pay if we liked walking -as in our spine.:eek:
    The table was surrounded and let's just say it felt like we wouldn't see the next day.

We eventually paid up which was nearly $100 to find ourselves outside in the middle of nowhere .

The barman came out apologizing saying that some of the local heavies were in town celebrating after one just got out of prison , and sorry as they don't usually hang out there that night .

He called us a cab and paid in advance to get us back to the resort .

Let's just say I have never been happier to see my Hotel
    room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I went into an underground nightclub in Florence a few years ago. You didn't have to pay an entry fee, they just handed everyone a card with prices on the side and a bunch of empy boxes beside each. Every time you went to the bar and ordered something you simply got your card punched with the amount you owed for the order. At the end of the night you'd pay for the amount owed on your card which included the entry fee and only then would the bouncers let you back up the stairs to leave.

Well after one bartender stamped the €50 box after i'd ordered only a Southern Comfort & dash white, the first bartender only charged me €7, I refused to pay and immediately ended up in an argument with the two bartenders and their manager while being eyed by two of the biggest bouncers I've ever seen. After about twenty minutes of me not backing down in my refusal the manager gave me a clean card. I promplty paid my entry free and got the hell out of the place. My work mates decided to stay and got fleeced for hundreds.

I'd hate to think what happened to anyone who couldn't pay or who lost their card :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Luckily I had my compact with me and whenever I feared most for my safety, I'd look at my face in the Mail to relax myself.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Ukraine, years ago. Stuck in the car with a friend, waiting 18 hours for a clearance to be able to cross the border, surrounded by all those military-type people and militia... Worst trip ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Borussia Dortmund was playing Feyenoord Rotterdam in the UEFA Cup Final 2002...in Rotterdam. Went down there by train, at every corner in the Netherlands, the train was attacked with stones, bottles, etc. And some kids standing at train stations, showing the Hitler salute.

Inside the stadium, the away section was attacked a few times by home 'supporters'.

After the match, the Borussia supporters were treated like animals, women and kids were hit with batons, because they didn't walk fast enough towards the train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I went to Dublin once...never again. I shudder even thinking about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ludo wrote: »

I'm waiting for the first user from Dublin, who mentions a trip to Cork ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MugMugs wrote: »
    I had a bit of a disagreement over some "herbs" with a local in Marrakesh who wanted a shot of my then girlfriend for the privilege.

Making my escape was not pleasant !

I bet your girlfriend was a bit pissed off when you legged it to the airport without her.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Ended up sailing into a gunfight between these Cambodian boat people armed with rifles and two boatloads of Cambodian cops - the channel we were on was really narrow and the only path through was to accelerate between the two boats with shots being fired right above our heads.

Got semi-stranded in the Amazon jungle with an alcoholic American big game hunter dude, enough petrol to get halfway home, a 13 year old Indian boy piloting our canoe and no axe, despite the fact that the water level of the forest had dropped by two feet since we'd gone into the woods a fortnight previously, meaning that many of the channels we'd sailed up had become impassable. Luckily for us we managed to trade some alligator hooks and some bullets for a bit of petrol. Still ended up taking us a whole day to fight through the jungle and drag the boat through piranha infested waters. Good times.

Had a knife pulled on me by these Indian dudes I caught trying to rob some chickens off me on a tramp steamboat on the river Ucuyali as well. Talked my way out of it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I was on the same trip, September 2002 wasn't it? From my point of view there was a sizeable amount of Irish who deserved a few slaps on that trip. From the flight out it was very messy and upon landing, the combination of cheap vodka, thousands of hookers and the reserved locals looking on in disgust, I had a feeling it could turn nasty.

The number of fools screaming "howzitgoin Ivan" and "ole ole" 'ing their way around Moscow was unreal. The Irish just thought they would be welcomed with open arms but you have to remember how private and deeply suspicious these people were at the time of foreigners.

I think the Russians ambushed a hotel bar, threw in a CS canister and hammered the Irish as they stumbled out blinded by the gas and drink. I saw a couple of corrupt scenes, i.e. passports getting "lost" but in fairness to the police, they picked out the arseholes who deserved it.

I kept the head down, did a bit of sightseeing, didn't wear colours and kept the drinking to a reasonable limit and had a great time.

When I got to the airport again for the journey home it was hilarious to see all the mouthpieces on the way out in casts, bruised and very very quiet.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

bohsboy wrote: »
    I was on the same trip, September 2002 wasn't it? From my point of view there was a sizeable amount of Irish who deserved a few slaps on that trip. From the flight out it was very messy and upon landing, the combination of cheap vodka, thousands of hookers and the reserved locals looking on in disgust, I had a feeling it could turn nasty.

The number of fools screaming "howzitgoin Ivan" and "ole ole" 'ing their way around Moscow was unreal. The Irish just thought they would be welcomed with open arms but you have to remember how private and deeply suspicious these people were at the time of foreigners.

I think the Russians ambushed a hotel bar, threw in a CS canister and hammered the Irish as they stumbled out blinded by the gas and drink. I saw a couple of corrupt scenes, i.e. passports getting "lost" but in fairness to the police, they picked out the arseholes who deserved it.

I kept the head down, did a bit of sightseeing, didn't wear colours and kept the drinking to a reasonable limit and had a great time.

When I got to the airport again for the journey home it was hilarious to see all the mouthpieces on the way out in casts, bruised and very very quiet.:o

Yeah that was it alright but we were in Scandinavia at the time so one night out i said we should go and that started our 18 hour train journey, i know one of the reporters for The Star got attacked, the Russian Guards only got about 200 euros a month so didnt bother to get involved during these incidents.

Yeah heard about the women and a lot of lads getting ripped off after bringing them back and then finding wallets missing but what do you expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

The scariest place I've ever been to is Dublin.

I was a wittle shcared because it has been the one and only time I've ever been out of the Wesht of Oireland before :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Executive Steve, you should write a book. :D When I was in Cambodia it was all quite relaxing.

I have to say I led a charmed life, the most uncomfortable I was ever was in Saigon but in truth it was mostly my imagination. The people were really nice.

As for Dublin, spent most of my life there never felt really uncomfortable anywhere but of course I know not to hang out with the junkies. The only proper fight I experienced was in Galway.

Boring really. I reckon if I went to Kabul, they would declare a ceasefire the day before I arrived and I'd see and hear nothing.

So I asked my wife, she's been all over the world. South America the Amazon, most of Europe, Africa. She even lived in a loyalist area of the North during the troubles. Never had a problem. We're well matched:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Stockey1994

For me, it has to be last summer. I went to Belgium for a week, and for a few days of that we were supposed to go to a music festival (had a cracking line-up and everything!). Anyway, we get there around midday on a scorcher of a summer's day, set up the tents etc and go off for a wander around the festival site. Of course, being Irish we associated "Music Festival" with wellies, and all the belgians are walking around in flip-flops and shorts :o

Anyway, we were waiting in one of the huge gazebo-things around 6pm that evening for the first band we wanted to see and this enormous storm just comes from nowhere. One minute the sky's totally clear and blue, the next there's a mini hurricane. We're talking gale force winds and an insane amount of rain :eek: In the course of about 20-30 minutes more rain fell than in an entire year or something crazy like that. Trees were crashing down and at a stage beside ours, one tree killed 8 people. Our own gazebo-thing was rocking around wildly in the wind and we were terrified it was gonna collapse and kill us too. Everyone was panicking.

And then, as soon as it had come the storm was gone again. Here we were, stranded in the middle of Belgium where all the announcements were being made in rapid Dutch and none of us could understand a word. We eventually decided to leave - we made our way back to our tents to find they'd collapsed and everything was soaked/ruined. After salvaging what we could we made our way to the nearest train station only to find it was closed. We walked for a very very very long time to the next one and just about managed to hop on the last train back to Brussels.

It wasn't exactly how I'd planned the weekend :mad:. We did discover later that the rest festival had been cancelled so we were glad we left in the end. It was a pretty sobering experience though.

was that tomorrowland

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No, Pukkelpop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Coming home to Saudi Arabia from a nice trip in Ireland the Gulf War decides to break out.

Thank God I don't remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Lisdoonvarna

Unspeakable horrors abound :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Domo230 wrote: »
    Visit Russia

Brought to you by the Russian tourist board.

In fairness it was a great trip. I would unironically recommend going.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Didnt know about this video till about two weeks after when my friend mailed me the link. His neighbour was crazy enough to try and video it :pac:

Football hooligans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Every Sunday, have to take a trip to Mother in laws....Scary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Ludo wrote: »

How does such a pathetic attempt at humour get thanked or am I missing something?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is it my imagination or are most of these stories of nightmare scenarios abroad involving the common denominators of a) too much drink and b) an ignorance/lack of knowledge about the host society.

Don't kid yourselves lads - people in foreign countries know that the Irish love to get plastered - especially when they're abroad and thus take advantage/rip them off accordingly.

I was in Russia on a school tour in the early 90s. Very grim place and unfriendly locals. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

One time in Prague about 12 years ago myself and an Austrian friend got absolutely plastered on booze and got into a taxi asking the driver to take us to some new night club my friend has been told about. We were driven all over the city and eventually the taxi stopped down a dark side alley and two rough lookingvskinhead guys got in and told us to give them all the cash we had on us or else we would find ourselves in the bottom of the river Vlatava. It seemed the taxi driver was in on it. They were saying this in very broken English and better German and we were terrified. We gave them all our cash (about €140) in the form of Czech koruns and Austrian shillings and were dropped off a few blocks away. We went to the cops but they didn't want to know.

The lesson I learned is not to get so drunk while on holiday that you throw out your common sense. It's a rule I stick by ever since and to date it has served me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

One time in Chicago with my boyfriend we were at a bulls game, walked straight out of the stadium and just started walking lookin for a taxi, walked right onto this very very rough street, as in these big huge fellas,standing on verandas watching us and people running upto us. Terrifying now, got a taxi at the end of the road, but genuinely thought we were going to be mugged/killed.

Advertisement