Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much pension do I require

Options
  • 06-04-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have been considering moving to Ireland. I have a pension of 56K yearly
    would that be enough to survive on. I am an old ssoldier with no dependants.

regards fofs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Is that Canadian Dollars or Euro?

Most people in Ireland would be thrilled with €56k a year pension

Edit - even if Canadian, thats €43k

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fofs

that is 56K in canadian dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That's a great pension

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

the average industrial wage is €30,000, so you should have a great standard of living. just have a look at irish health insurance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fofs

I am covered anywhere by my military medical plan for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You will be able to live very comfortably in Ireland with that income and no dependants. The big variable for you will be the cost of housing which will depend on where you choose to live. Rents are depressed in general but especially so outside the main cities because of a gross oversupply of accommodation, the building of which was the cause of the collapse in the Irish banking sector.

You'll probably be shocked at car and petrol prices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Why would you consider moving to Ireland?
    We are all trying to get out
    Most corrupt government system you could live under
    Bailing out banks and crooks daily
    They will love to get their hands on some of your pension and trust me they will. Pick somewhere sunny and go enjoy life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Ireland is a great place to live. No where in the world is perfect. It's where ever you're happiest most. We're dealing with our issues and while it's tough at the moment I have to believe things will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

skippy2 wrote: »

While you're right to raise this question, we're not quite the 'most corrupt Government';

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1201/corruption.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

skippy2 wrote: »
    Bailing out banks and crooks daily
    They will love to get their hands on some of your pension and trust me they will. Pick somewhere sunny and go enjoy life

A lot of the Irish who are leaving are going to the US which is a far more corrupt system than ours. At least we don't allow wealthy people and corporations to buy time on TV to plug their candidates and therefore ensure that only people beholden to vested interests get elected - and don't get me started on the system by which state judges have to stand for election and are allowed to accept campaign contributions from the very lawyers who have to appear in front of them!

Our 'system' is a lot cleaner and more transparent than a lot of countries that you would probably consider desirable places to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I would retire to Barbados.

Advertisement