Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

From the Kildare Co.Co news feed:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7TrafficManagementNotification25-07-2019.html

M7 Traffic Management Notification
    Motorists travelling to Croke Park this coming weekend, please be advised of the ongoing M7 Roadworks between J11 (M7/M9 Merge) and Junction 8 (Johnstown) and possible delays;

Motorists travelling northbound on the M9, take note that the carriageway is reduced to a single lane on approach to the M9/M7 merge at Junction 11 Motorists travelling northbound on the M7 may also experience some delays as M9 traffic merges at Junction 11.

2 lanes are available between Junction 11- Junction 10 Northbound, opening to 3 lanes after J10 (Naas South)

When leaving Dublin, please be aware of recent changes in the road layout between Junctions 8-11;

These include 3 lanes now available, a new exit at J10 and a new arrangement at Junction 11 (M9 Diverge), with the left lane leading straight onto M9 southbound.

Motorists continuing along M7 should keep to Lanes 2 & 3 when approaching Junction 11(M9 Diverge)

Expect some delays between Junction 9 – Junction 10 on approach to this new arrangement.

Reduced Temporary Speed Limits remain in place throughout the roadworks

Plenty of weekend work ongoing...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say the M9 junction must still be a pinch point at peak times? Still reduced to one lane and lots of barriers etc still there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

Have to say so happy driving home last night. It took at least 20 mins off journey considering it took me 40 mins to get from the Ball at Naas to the M9 junction the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Does anyone know when Junction 9a and new bridge at Kerry Foods will open? Do we have to wait until March 2020 when the Sallins bypass phase is completed or will this phase open sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Junction 9a and new bridge at Kerry Foods will open? Do we have to wait until March 2020 when the Sallins bypass phase is completed or will this phase open sooner?

I wouldn’t see the problem with them opening the junction with access onto Millenium. The Sallins bypass construction could still be carried out at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Emme wrote: »
    Sense of entitlement? It has taken so long to make the proposed changes to this road I think commuters deserve some compensation for the delays and inconveniences they have put up with during this time. After all commuters and other taxpayers are the ones paying for the changes through their taxes!

No, commuters definitely don't deserve any compensations. This road gets upgraded largely for the commuters' benefit and all the Irish taxpayers pay for it. Last think those taxpayers need is to also pay compensations to people who will benefit the most out of the new road. That would be perverse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

JohnC. wrote: »
    Your compensation is a better road.

I have a right to express an opinion on the N9/M7 roadworks. I use it and the train (sorry for going off topic) to commute to work like many others. I am the last person to sit or fall on my backside looking for something for nothing or compensation for no reason. In my opinion taxpayers in this country do not get angry enough and that is why we are being shafted all round. The overall slow pace of the N9/M7 roadworks is only one example of how the Irish taxpayer is seen as an ATM. Yes, things are being done a bit faster now but I think that could be because the contractors got told there would be no more money for continuing to drag the job out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave terms like 'Taxpayer' and 'Compo' to the politics forum.

Back n topic please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I’d urge anyone here who thinks the job is easy and the construction company is just dragging it out for more money to watch a few Discovery channel docs about big construction projects and you’ll see how all the unforeseen circumstances and setbacks can throw spanners in the works. This widening is online so they have to do all the work while keeping the road open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

spacetweek wrote: »
    I’d urge anyone here who thinks the job is easy and the construction company is just dragging it out for more money to watch a few Discovery channel docs about big construction projects and you’ll see how all the unforeseen circumstances and setbacks can throw spanners in the works. This widening is online so they have to do all the work while keeping the road open.

It was such a shame that RTÉ or someone didn’t document some of our Celtic tiger era projects. The Port Tunnel, Limerick Tunnel or some of the inter urban motorways. They were big projects by Irish standards which will have positive impacts for years. I love watching the Discovery style documentaries on similar projects around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

MYSTICA1 wrote: »

It will be opened ahead of the Sallins bypass. That has been mentioned previously. The schedule date was September but that's not been reconfirmed for a while now. May still be doable though.

Plenty of work ongoing and they almost look ready for a surface from the junction to the millennium park. Slips are pretty much done. Tying the deck to the road on both sides is also underway but this seemed to be left for a long time after the bridge was put in place. Maybe the deck has to settle or something. They were waiting for something anyway. I've no idea to be honest.

Also, minor point but it's Kerry Taste and Nutrition in 90% of that building with Kerry Foods in just a small section. Kerry Foods = 18% and Kerry T&N = 80% of Kerry Group. Many ppl see Kerry as just Foods which is funny, as we don't sell foods outside UK and Ireland. Way off topic I know :-) Other 2% is Agro btw.

Loads of people in work saying they've saved 10-20 mins heading south with 3 lanes. J9a will really help sort issues getting out of Naas on the Newbridge road and can't come soon enough for the town, let alone the commuters. One thing rarely mentioned in here is how the works have not only frustrated the passers by but have also ruined Naas traffic. With ppl using the millennium road instead of the M7 to skip the works, they get priority at the Ball roundabout (J10) and again at the Lidl roundabout on the far end. This effectively holds up all traffic from Naas town to J10 on the Newbridge road and J9 on the Dublin road. I've queued 30-40 mins on each to just get to M7 from my house in Naas many times.

I will still say though that I think the contractors have done a great job and while more money could have been thrown at the upgrade to crash the timeline, efficiency and pressure to meet tighter timelines would have meant the laws of diminishing returns would have made little difference in the project timelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The Gardai are delighted it’s taking so long with record numbers of motorists been caught in the 60 and 80 KMH zones . The company processing the fines can hardly cope with the volume of fines on this stretch of the motorway . If it’s delayed another year the commuters will have paid for a large amount of the works .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If it’s delayed another year the commuters will have paid for a large amount of the works .

You might want to check your figures there, think you forgot to carry the one a few times.

And the gardai aren't detecting, it's the go safe vans, so nothing attributed to AGS.

And it'll not take another year, nothing close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

I have been commuting to Citywest for 19 years from Kildare Town and the drive home (< 30 minutes @ 6pm) has been a pleasure the last 2 days.
    Long may it continue.

Big Dec wrote: »
    I have been commuting to Citywest for 19 years from Kildare Town and the drive home (< 30 minutes @ 6pm) has been a pleasure the last 2 days.
    Long may it continue.

That's only a hop skip and a jump, try from the M50 to beyond Kildare :) And yes, traveled South(West) yesterday for the first time and it was a joy, saved 45 minutes. Am confident it'll hold up even with the schools back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Awful pity that they couldn't make the extra effort and have 3 lanes open northbound for this weekend.

It wouldn't have taken much extra effort seeing as it's meant to be open next week.

I'm on the way to Cork, so while I was free flowing Southbound, the northbound tailback went as far as Kildare Town caused solely by volume heading to croke Park

Never seen a tailback that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Darc19 wrote: »
    Awful pity that they couldn't make the extra effort and have 3 lanes open northbound for this weekend.

It wouldn't have taken much extra effort seeing as it's meant to be open next week.

I'm on the way to Cork, so while I was free flowing Southbound, the northbound tailback went as far as Kildare Town caused solely by volume heading to croke Park

Never seen a tailback that far.

I agree with you 100%. Whatever people say in favour of the project there is no evidence of any joined up thinking so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The Gardai are delighted it’s taking so long with record numbers of motorists been caught in the 60 and 80 KMH zones . The company processing the fines can hardly cope with the volume of fines on this stretch of the motorway . If it’s delayed another year the commuters will have paid for a large amount of the works .

And your basis for making such a statement is? I tr@vel the N/M 7 every day, and can state that according to the flashing sign saying that 13,700 motorists have been caught has been the number caught for a long time now.

Unless you have access to other data?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/persistent-speeding-during-m7-upgrade-works-criticised-1.3970037

includes...
    "this week all three lanes are due to be in operation but with a reduced 80km/h speed limit. Outstanding verge works are scheduled to be completed by mid-September, and the speed limit will rise to 120km/h after that"

• Advertisement

Irish Times saying 'Persistent speeding during M7 upgrade works criticised'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/persistent-speeding-during-m7-upgrade-works-criticised-1.3970037

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are three lanes each way open now right the way through??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

road_high wrote: »
    Are three lanes each way open now right the way through??

Southbound yes. Not quite finished yet Northbound

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Drove it both ways yesterday on a trip down to the National Stud from Dublin. Still hard to judge completely because there's so much work still ongoing but found it quite a decent surface in general and traffic was moving generally quite well given that it a Sunday.

On the way back I didn't notice exactly how the M9/M7 eastbound merge is going to work. Is it just going to be a lane add at the merge to create the third lane? Also noticed the reluctance of many drivers to use the new left lane eastbound into Dublin until after Naas. While keeping to the speed limit I moved over into it and was practically the only car using it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Jayuu wrote: »
    Also noticed the reluctance of many drivers to use the new left lane eastbound into Dublin until after Naas. While keeping to the speed limit I moved over into it and was practically the only car using it at times.

Get used to it, the standard 'middle lane rule' has been long established on the N7 and it ain't going to change on the M7.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jayuu wrote: »
    Also noticed the reluctance of many drivers to use the new left lane eastbound into Dublin until after Naas. While keeping to the speed limit I moved over into it and was practically the only car using it at times.

Maybe they thought it was going to end any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

spacetweek wrote: »
    Maybe they thought it was going to end any minute.

How many lanes have you encountered on a motorway that just 'ends at any minute'? There is no excuse for lazy inconsiderate driving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

degsie wrote: »
    Get used to it, the standard 'middle lane rule' has been long established on the N7 and it ain't going to change on the M7.

In the UK a fine of £100 and three points applies. Even if it was €60 and one point here initially, it would make a difference.

But with no incentive, the middle lane hoggers will remain.

Worse still is the nicey nicey radio advert telling people they should use lane one. What a waste.

Change it to call them for what they are- Middle lane hoggers. Tell them they risk a fine and 3 penalty points (driving without due care and attention), watch the change in behavior as these are usually the law abiding types that are just not educated in lane discipline

degsie wrote: »
    How many lanes have you encountered on a motorway that just 'ends at any minute'? There is no excuse for lazy inconsiderate driving :rolleyes:
    The M25 used to do that in places, lane one turns into a slip lane and off at the next junction.

• Advertisement

Why people get wound up about the middle lane hoggers is beyond me.
    Just let them off.
    I detest being a passenger in a middle lane hoggers car mostly always keep my mouth shut.
    Lad I carpool with is one.
    He always mouths off about being passed on the the left:confused:
    I always say the same thing but he carries on regardless.
    If your getting passed on the left then you are in the wrong lane.
    I sit in the left on the m9,n7 and cruise while being courteous to mergers ,
    They merge and go straight to the middle :rolleyes:

Advertisement